Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with Motorcraft replacment filters from local Advance. Was not that hard to be honest... pretty easy. I started by draining the water seperator and I had pretty much no water, maybe 1-2 drops. The filters were not as dirty as I expected. I think the owners manual recomendation of 15k is dead on. I have about 12.8 currently and they could of gone 15k w/out thinking about it. So I'll be sticking with the books interval.

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
yeah had i known to go every 15K i would have, but i didnt change mine till like 29K or so. they were horrible. they were starting to twist too. which is a bad thing. they were the blackest of black. glad i changed them!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Fuel filters are cheap insurance of your expensive injectors. I go 12-15,000 miles on mine. I have changed then as low as 10K if the truck seemed to be losing it's edge. It's surprising how much difference clean filters can make.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did notice a difference in how it ran. But I think a 15K interval is good. $50/pop is not cheap every 10-15k.

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I do mine every other oil change right now, so every 6-7k miles. I found one of our sponsors that has a heck of a deal on a 3 pack of filters, I now have 4 of them sitting on my shelf, and just replaced one at last oil change.

Like someone said, cheap insurance, and I'm a bit anal with keepin up on that stuff.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH wow... yeah that's a better price now. I know on oil filters the Motorcraft and (now) regular purolator are the same thing, you could swap them and never know. So Motorcraft buys their fuel filters from racor too huh. Nice. Good for us, we'll find it somewhere else w/out the mark up built into it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i change mine every 10K miles !!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hey guys, check spdiesel.com, I got my triple pack from them for the same price that I got one locally.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The longest my truck has gone since ive bought it is 10k miles, after it runs like dog isht and fuel mileage sucks. i had to do it in a hurry when i got down to about 13.5 mpg a few weeks ago, and it cost me $73 from ford:banghead:. what i want to know is how they can justify that crap!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah my MPG's seem a touch better. I think the biggest difference is, might just be me, but it runs quieter. But to be fair I also dumped in some PS Grey bottle.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,816 Posts
This is the way I understand it .........
One thing is sure, the 6.0L engines do not have equal flow of fuel to all cylinders at high fueling rates. This is why the "return regulated fuel systems" and the FASS systems are desireable and provide more reliability for the injectors. These systems ensure that there is adequate fuel supply to all injectors. When the fuel filters plug, this imbalanced distribution of fuel can get worse and impact mileage. If there is more to the story, I hope more folks jump in !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
this the third time. 13k, 27k, 42k. my fuel filters are always clean looking. only fill at high volume stations. i hope the additive i have been using tested out to work fine. been lucky on mpg on open road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts