Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the fuel filter in engine bay and went to start and it ran for 5 seconds then quit, I then had to cycle key a few times and it would start for a few seconds, I did this 4 times and then it ran fine. Anyone else experience this? Would this have done any damage to injectors? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
did you drain the filter housing all the way down. if you did you need to put some new fuel in it before you put your filter in. fill it about half way.

·
Registered
469 Posts
DID you add fuel? or did you let fuel pmup cycle?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a 1/4 full, and the truck fired right away and then died, tried to start again and nothing had to cycle pump a few times to get it to run for a few seconds and did this procedure 4 times until truck ran. Would this harm these new injectors?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am more concerned if the bit of cranking without firing would harm the injectors?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Super Simple

No need to put any fuel into the filter housing on these rigs.
1) Use some Diesel to coat the "o" ring and don't screw it up when re-installing the filter back into the housing.
2) Tighten filter housings to the recommended torque
3) Cycle the ignition from position 1 to 3 six times, waiting 30 seconds in position 3 each time you do it. This will bleed all of the air out of the system.
She will fire right up.
It really is as simple as that.:thumb:
Good luck to you:woot:
~Mike~

G

·
Yep

These 6.4's take a lil more effort to start after FF changes. If you dont follow those directions in the previous post you could literally sit for hours trying to start it. Trust me, i've watched guys do it. :thumb: The other thing you need to do is as soon as it fires give it the throttle, that helps keep it running while its pumping the air out.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Thanks Jon,
Yes sir!!!! That was something that I did forget to mention. As soon as she fires, give her a little juice.......not much just a little.....and that bad old air will be by by:thumb:
~Mike~

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There is a write up in the diesel manual about changing the filter. It explains it in detail. It also says how much to cycle the key switch before attempting to crank it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts