Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so if i get this cf from a near by town, thats gonna start the cfin in the garage...

some of yall use water heaters, is that where you are dumping the dirty vo in to start the process?

what happens when the level goes down in the tank and the element is bare? does it damage it?

or is it best to heat it as it comes out of the upper tank and get heated on its way down to the cf?

so far i see i need

cf
2 pumps. 1 for in and 1 for out. prolly need another one to pump into truck.
250 tank for clean vo
55 gal tank either water heater or white drum
pvc
wiring and switches (might do a circuit breaker setup)
wood for stands
filters
strainer
ball valves

and thats all i can think of. anything else?

i am wanting to set this up first and get it down to a science and working before it goes into the truck.

the truck setup shouldnt be that hard since i already have a layout in my mind.

theres a harbor freight in tyler and theres also a place where i can get every fitting imaginable too.

some other sites

http://www.wvoshop.com/
http://www.goodgrease.com/
http://www.needasticker.com/emblems.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290334275591

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
this is a good vid that i liked. also re reading clays setup.

ok one thing tub, where does old go in and clean come out?

the deal in the corner is the waste? that gets pumped into the wh. then into the cf and then gets pumped into the 250gal?

how do you keep the filter from cloggin up when the vo is cold?

the gravity fed deal seems good

tsc $549

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Gravity is your friend.

i would assume the top where water the water pipe is is where veg goes into the WH. let gravity feed your fuge, the heater elements should be ok as long as you have the thermostat set AND dont let it go dry. i believe Leons is set up so when the source empties there is still veg in the heater tube. the water heat is really just your high heat settle tank.

what are you planning on using filters for?
we dont reccomend pvc hot side, you can but if a tstat fails you have problems, Clay ran into that.

hit craigslist for a 275 gallon tote, around here clean used ones can be had for $80.

when you talk about filter cloggin when cold are you talking about on the truck or somewhere else? on the truck just use a chf, tubular has one he built, its in his setup pdf.

my plans (when we get a new house) are oo stack two totes and put the fuge to the side, between them and use gravity and air pressure if needed. try to get down on the number of pumps.

how far do you live from Tubular?

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am 2 ish hrs from him. if i went to go get that cf forsale, i would stop by for a bit and see his setup.

i was thinkin of getting 2 250s and stack em on top of each other and use some sort of inline heater. theres one that bolts on the side of the wvo designs cf that could work.

filters i dunno or what size to run yet. but a strainer for the dirty before it hits the cf.

filter cloggin on the house setup. wasnt gonna build the truck setup yet till this is done and perfected. btw how long does veggie last in storage before it goes in the truck?

the cl here has nothing. :doh: but ill keep lookin.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
at most use a spin on polish filter after the fuge. if you want, get a 120v heat wrap. but most people dont use a polishing filter. the one you put in your veg conversion should be more than sufficient. definitly a strainer, i got a 400 micron drum strainer for liek $20 or something like that.

i was asking because we are supposed to be down there for thanksgiving, its always good to meet other veg geeks.

veggie can last anywhere from 6 months to a year or so after it leaves the fryer. you can get a biocide to extend storage. as long as your storage is relatively dry and cool youll be fine. water certainly shortens the life without biocide.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
this is a good vid that i liked. also re reading clays setup.

ok one thing tub, where does old go in and clean come out?

the deal in the corner is the waste? that gets pumped into the wh. then into the cf and then gets pumped into the 250gal?

how do you keep the filter from cloggin up when the vo is cold?

the gravity fed deal seems good
the dirty oil is pulled with the HF pump into the waterheater. at about 30 seconds you can see the ball valve with the 90 pointing to the left. that is the dirty oil in port. I close the valve on the bottom of the HWH and open this and oil is pulled into the HWH.

At about 34 you can see the red valve that controls the on\off for the CF. its fed with gravity so no pump needed to feed the CF.

The clean oil is pulled from the bottom of the tote with the second pump that is under the CF. it pushes the oil through the pipes to the nozzle at the front of the garage that fills the truck.

another wonderful tubular vid :) walked into the garage and shot this for Leons drawing. I did not win :( Can you tell I should have been voice over guy? haha yea right! No practice, no takes, just one shot and go!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i was asking because we are supposed to be down there for thanksgiving, its always good to meet other veg geeks.
You better stay for more then 5 minutes this time!! :poke:

Hey how about you and jarrod come over! Maybe Ill make my world famous burgers. Or we can just hang around and drink :woot:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
amen to the money. ill know more as thanksgiving gets closer...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's my CF video for Leon's contest... I didn't win either :hehe:

Hope this gives you some ideas. I just wanted to make the simplest processor possible and minimize space because my setup is in a small, unheated shed.

My parts list:
1) Open-top 55-gallon drums x 2 and one closed-top 55-gallon drum... both free - or you can pick them up on craigslist for $10 or so each. Make sure there's an intact liner in it to slow down the polymerization effect of veg oil on steel.
2) 2x drum pre-screens... I got mine from Dudadiesel for ~$20 each I think - I like using a 600/400 micron combo. It gets the big crud out.
3) 275 gallon totes... at least 1 for clean storage (I have 4 total that I bought in NJ for $50-75 each - used previously for one-way imports of olive oil from Italy to the US)
4) WVODesigns CF and pre-heater element... (or other bowl-type CF) = ~$1000 - or less if you just buy the bowl and fabricate your own or buy a used one on ebay/craigslist, etc.
5) Gravity-feed drum or barrel... I first used a free 55 gallon drum, now I use a 35-gallon leg tank I got for $50. New, they are about $100 at Tractor Supply.
6) A solid, powerful pump to move your dirty oil around... I bought a WVODesigns 1HP pump at a pre-release price - you can see his current price on his website. I like it because it's portable and VERY fast. I use it for multiple purposes. In general, I understand gear pumps are great for oil. I've used the blue clear-water pump, but it's not self-priming. I've used the Tuthill 18gpm self-priming pump, but it's loud and subject to clogging. I've used a 12V Whale diaphragm pump - uncloggable and portable, but slow.
7) A pump to fill your tank from the clean storage (I use a 12V GPI pump; got it from Tractor Supply for ~$200). For me, this is a good option, because I also use it for road trips since it works off a deep-cycle battery. There are numerous options for this - a lot of people use the blue clear-water pump, cause they are cheap and you can leave it plumbed where the weight of your oil in your storage tote keeps it self-primed.
8) Various 1" and/or 3/4" plumbing and valves and hoses and clamps. Figure approximately $50-ish. I like having two valves on my gravity-feed barrel, because one is on/off and one is for flow rate. I leave the flow rate valve set where I like it. I like the clear braided hose because I can see the oil flowing in it.
9) A deep-cycle battery and solar charger - ~$80 total, again from Tractor Supply.
10) Lots of cardboard and paper towels to clean up messes!

Total budget ~$1700-ish.

Happy veggin!

·
Registered
239 Posts
No, I had the shed already. But, like every shedowner in the world, I now wish it was a lot bigger...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
No, I had the shed already. But, like every shedowner in the world, I now wish it was a lot bigger...
Thats funny you say that. My old man has two 40'x100' steel buildings. Between us, they are both full of boats, toys and machinery.....They old man says that steel building should never be less thatn 40"X1000'!:nod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts