Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That you need a CDL for towing trailers over 10k GVWR?

That you have to have air brakes on a class A CDL?

That any vehicle that requires a class A will have air brakes?

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
19,809 Posts
Because lots of people go by what somebody they tells them. That somebody probably heard it from somebody who heard if from somebody who....... You get the idea.

People would rather believe that info than actually do any research of their own to find out the facts. If they did, they'd know the answers to the above is: YES!!!
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: - :joke: - I couldn't help myself. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
I remember taking an Air Brake Endorsement - does it even exist anymore? I see housewives driving 40ft Motor Homes with Air Brakes on their "C" license, I thought they did away with the whole "Air Brakes" issue...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you must be very young if you haven't realized that people are f'n stupid
I learned that when I started joining internet forums. :rofl:

I remember taking an Air Brake Endorsement - does it even exist anymore? I see housewives driving 40ft Motor Homes with Air Brakes on their "C" license, I thought they did away with the whole "Air Brakes" issue...
Nope. No air brake endorsement anymore. In the states.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
It's because it's different everywhere and the information is confusing. For instance when I lived in CA, class C was limited to 10k but could go up to 15k with a restriction 41. Basically a class C with the addition of a class A written test and only valid on RV's. They also offer a non commercial class A for heavy trailers. Texas actually pissed me off enough to keep my trailer registered in CA but that's a different issue.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
That you need a CDL for towing trailers over 10k GVWR?

That you have to have air brakes on a class A CDL?

That any vehicle that requires a class A will have air brakes?

:dunno:
Every state has some odd laws, some are inforced some are overlooked. We can tow doubles in Utah with a regular liscence. But I wouldn't cross state lines without checking the law for the state I am going into.

What I am saying is, some people think what they learned in California in the 70's applies to them in Georgia today.

I saw a guys reply that said "some people are stupid":rofl:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
When do I need a CDL?

1.A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
2.A Class B CDL License is required for any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
3. A Class C CDL License is required for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.
One of the most misunderstood parts of the above requirements has to do with trailers with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds when the combined GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. In this case a CDL is NOT required provided you are not placarded for hazardous materials. However individual states may impose a requirement that drivers in their states must have a CDL in this situation so you need to check the requirements in your state. It is also important to note that individual state CDL licensing requirements CAN NOT be applied to drivers from other states.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's because it's different everywhere and the information is confusing. For instance when I lived in CA, class C was limited to 10k but could go up to 15k with a restriction 41. Basically a class C with the addition of a class A written test and only valid on RV's. They also offer a non commercial class A for heavy trailers. Texas actually pissed me off enough to keep my trailer registered in CA but that's a different issue.
This isn't completely true! A class C will allow you to tow a 10000 gross weight tow behind or bump tow trailer. If it you are using a 5th wheel hitch, you are allowed 15000 gross weight. Everything changes when you go past the 26000 combined gross weight.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had to take get an airbrakes endorsement in utah. Dont know about other states but here there is an airbrake test and endorsement if you want to drive anything with them. You have to get it on your regular license if you own a private coach (big *** diesel pusher motorhome)with airbrakes, and are actually gonna move it.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
This is one of those instances when there should a clean cut federal rule book on.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
The rules of the road are very state specific when it comes to driving and vehicles.

Have had my CA Class B CDL for about 15 years. The test vehicle you drive for the driving road test dictates what restrictions you end up with on your CDL. For example, I made sure to test with a manual transmission and air brakes, otherwise my license would be restricted to "AUTO Trans Only" and "No Air Brakes". I did not test with a tank vehicle with a capacity of over 500 gallons, so I don't have the 'Tank Vehicle" endorsement.

I believe in CA a trailer with a GVWR over 10K LBs requires either a CDL Class A, or a Non-Commercial Class A. Firefighters driving ladder trucks can get a special Firefighters Class A to allow them to drive those rigs while on duty.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to take get an airbrakes endorsement in utah. Dont know about other states but here there is an airbrake test and endorsement if you want to drive anything with them. You have to get it on your regular license if you own a private coach (big *** diesel pusher motorhome)with airbrakes, and are actually gonna move it.
So what letter represents the air brake endorsement on your CDL?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The rules of the road are very state specific when it comes to driving and vehicles.

Have had my CA Class B CDL for about 15 years. The test vehicle you drive for the driving road test dictates what restrictions you end up with on your CDL. For example, I made sure to test with a manual transmission and air brakes, otherwise my license would be restricted to "AUTO Trans Only" and "No Air Brakes". I did not test with a tank vehicle with a capacity of over 500 gallons, so I don't have the 'Tank Vehicle" endorsement.

I believe in CA a trailer with a GVWR over 10K LBs requires either a CDL Class A, or a Non-Commercial Class A. Firefighters driving ladder trucks can get a special Firefighters Class A to allow them to drive those rigs while on duty.
Sans CA there is no difference to speak of between states.

You also don't have to test in a tank vehicle to get a tanker endorsement. Even in CA it's a written test only.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Im waiting for my plastic license in the mail, in utah you get a paper temporary one at the dld and the regular follows about 6 weeks later, my paper one just says class a and dosent have any of my endorsements on it. I got hazmat, doubles, triples, tankers and all so i font know YET what the letter would be. Ill ask my father in law about what his says and post up my findings.
Also agree that there should be one federal book on this. because having just gone through cdl school im still learning a bunch that imo i should have been taught in class. everyone has a different answer about it and its all in legal hippy talk in the state books and it confuses alot of people.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im waiting for my plastic license in the mail, in utah you get a paper temporary one at the dld and the regular follows about 6 weeks later, my paper one just says class a and dosent have any of my endorsements on it. I got hazmat, doubles, triples, tankers and all so i font know YET what the letter would be. Ill ask my father in law about what his says and post up my findings.
Also agree that there should be one federal book on this. because having just gone through cdl school im still learning a bunch that imo i should have been taught in class. everyone has a different answer about it and its all in legal hippy talk in the state books and it confuses alot of people.

So are you still hanging on to the notion that a class A can't be had without air brakes?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This isn't completely true! A class C will allow you to tow a 10000 gross weight tow behind or bump tow trailer. If it you are using a 5th wheel hitch, you are allowed 15000 gross weight. Everything changes when you go past the 26000 combined gross weight.
From the CA DMV website for class C license...

•With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
◦Trailer coach or 5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
◦5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Potatoboy, honest question, what the hell good is a class a cdl with out airbrake endorsement? Honestly? Im not trying to say its unobtainable without it. I am saying that when i got mine one didnt go without the other, it was, go to x computer and take airbrakes, combos, and general knowlege, get a learners, go to school, drive, come back and take whatever endorsement tests your going to want/need and your hard copy license will be in the mail box in 3-6 weeks. I didnt say i asked if airbrakes was mandatory i just did what i was told i needed to do to get the hell out of dmv with a cdl. I posted up what my experience was in getting a cdl.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Potatoboy, honest question, what the hell good is a class a cdl with out airbrake endorsement?
Well Diarrheaer, A cdl without an air brake endorsement must be pretty dang useful seeing how you can't get an air brake endorsement.:doh:

I think the question you meant to ask is what good would a class A with an air brake restriction be? Well it would be good for hot shotter for example that drive pickups and trailers that neither have air.;)

Honestly? Im not trying to say its unobtainable without it.
Really because that sure seems like what you are trying to say here:

A class a cdl can not be had with out air brakes.
I am saying that when i got mine one didnt go without the other, it was, go to x computer and take airbrakes, combos, and general knowlege, get a learners, go to school, drive, come back and take whatever endorsement tests your going to want/need and your hard copy license will be in the mail box in 3-6 weeks. I didnt say i asked if airbrakes was mandatory i just did what i was told i needed to do to get the hell out of dmv with a cdl. I posted up what my experience was in getting a cdl.
So in other words you don't really know what can be had with or without anything else? You just do what you are told like a little minion? That you really don't know but will run (pun intended) your mouth about it anyway?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts