Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I looked on Crutchfield for a receiver that fills where the factory radio was - not the typical slim car ones.. It would leave a huge space! Anyone know of where I can find an "oversized" receiver? :dunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Crutchfield will have plenty of radios that do that it is called a double din radio any of these should work.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
otherwise it will come with an "adapter" or dash kit that will allow you some storage above or below the cd player, so it doesn't look like a huge gap :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome thanx :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
IIRC a double din will not "technically" fit without grinding out a bit of dash material. I may be wrong though, as I have never installed a DD in my rig.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It depends on the year. The pre 2005 trucks had an opening that was just a little smaller than double DIN in one dimension. The 05+ trucks have a bigger than DD opening, so all you need is a kit to mount a DD radio.

·
Registered
223 Posts
alpine 1va w-250

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
822 Posts
A Pioneer AVIC-D3 fills the space very nicely, if you want GPS navigation as well as CD/DVD. All of my music resides on an ipod hooked to the D3 (which has a pretty decent ipod display on the screen), and the ipod sits in the glovebox.

One word of caution - the factory speakers sound terrible when you put a better unit in the dash. So you may want to replace them. After that, you find that the new head unit's amp isn't all that hot, so you start thinking about a separate amp as they sound a lot cleaner. Even the 40 watt/channel Alpine unit I put in sounded a lot cleaner than the D3's reported 55watt/channel internal amp.

And after all that, well the bass is okay but not terrific, so maybe a subwoofer in one of those stealthboxes that sits inside the center console, and an amp to drive it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts