Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the CCV mod the other day and I've got a crap load of STEDY smole and fumes comming from the heater hose. What does this mean???? My truck has 215K miles on it.... is this why????? Do I worry???? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Smoke from the CCV is blowby, some is normal, a lot is a sign of a dusted engine. I wouldn't worry, mine ran great with only 200-300 psi compression, started hard but ran great. Cost $4,000 for parts to rebuild with me doing all of the work. Now there is very little smoke from the CCV.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Maybe a dumb ??? but i never have really heard what the ccv mod is?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
(CCV) Crank case ventilation

Factory the engine gasses are vented from the left valve cover back into the intake between the filter and the turbo. The main reason for the mod is to keep this oily messy crap out of you turbo, innercooler, and pipes. This is why the inner cooler boots are always oily and mushy.

All you do for the basic standard CCV mod is plug the hole in the intake and hook a piece of hose onto the vent and route it down behind the front tire. There are lots of other elaborate variations to this mod that folks have come up with.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ok so i understand the whole concept of the ccv mod but what does it actually give you i guess as far as perfromance or anything like that ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
It doesn't give you anymore performance per se, but it does keep the engine nice and clean. Besides the good feeling of lifting the hood on a clean non oil-filmed engine, it's nice b/c if you get an oil leak it's much easier to diagnose than going through and degreasing all that nasty oil film and what not first. One performance thing it does is to keep the intercooler at max efficiency by it not having oil deposits in it. Keeping oil out of the intercooler pipes also helps keep them from popping off or leaking as easily. I bought the air scrubber type kit from NCHornet who's a member here and I LOVE it. Ever since I'd gotten my truck with 104K on it the turbo always had an oil fim on it and oil would collect in the intake valley and drip occasionally when the truck was parked.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i always knew that the vent put all that oil in the tubes and i have heard that you can do the mod i might have to do that in some small way cause keeping the engine clean means alotto me

·
Registered
202 Posts
our entire air intake system is completely seealed. so unless you drive around with the intake boots off you shouldnt have any oil film on your engine. and if you do, its either you have a oil leak somehwere or its just road dirt/oil from normal everyday driving

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i dont have any oil on my engine justaround the intercooler boots and stuff

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Pwrstrk73,
Glad you are happy with the CCV Mod and it is working good for you.

Slowleak,
You are right we have a somewhat " sealed " intake system, however the way it is designed from Ford the oil will collect in the intake and eventually saturate the boots enough where they will leak, this oil will drip into the valley and eventually drip down the back of the block making you think you have a rear main going, which is very rare on a 7.3. So you can have a engine covered in oil with no actual leaks. Look at the pics of my engine in my sig. this is easily maintained by using the proper CCV mod and eliminating the oil into the intake in the first place.

Goldiestroker,
Your oil around the CCV boots is normal on a truck without a proper CCV mod, the boots will attract lots of dirt as well, and as I said eventually it will start dripping into the valley. Best thing to do is stop it before it gets that far. You can see what my engine looks like and my intake has never been cleaned since I installed my CCV mod, and the boots are original.

Krupatex,
Check your PM's for how to solve your problem.

NCH

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does someone make a kit with detailed instructions. I understand how to do it but I think it would be a little easyer to buy a kit than piece together your own. I also would like to put a one way kind of check valve to prevent things from going into the CCV tube..any ideas????

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Doug,
Check your PM's

·
Registered
56 Posts
NCHornet, would you mind sending me some instructions/pictures also?? I would like to do this:dunno:. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how can you prevent the CC from dispersing all that smoggy crap.... it can't be a good thing??? Does that just mean the engine is worn out and might need a re-build???? I want to know how to eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
hey nchornet- can you send me some info on your ccv mod. im in westfield, nc just about 30 minutes from you?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
All PM's sent.

NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Krupatex,
I have also answered your questions via PM Good Luck

NCH

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here I am bringing up an old thread again.:doh:
I just did the ccv mod and notice quite a bit of white smoke coming from the hose.
Do I just forget about it or is this a problem that needs attention?

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
I would also like to know how to do this, thanks in advance!! :)

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
PM's on the way!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts