Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed their home made ccv kit under the hood instead of installing along the frame under the truck? i live in a very cold climate and i am concerned about those vent hoses freezing and creating excessive back pressure.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You can always just drop it as straight down as you can so the oil won't make a mess of anything. Keeping it close enough for heat but far enough to not melt or burn off the oil.

·
Registered
692 Posts
there was some guys who made one from a garden sprayer or something like that they bought at tractor supply company, it even had a mesh screen in it.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
When I made my own CCV mod I mounted it on the frame and it gets COLD here in the winter but what I did was use 3/8" copper tubing to run along the CCV lines going to and coming from the CCV filter canister plus wrapped it around the canister itself then I insulated it with that foam pipe insulation that you can buy for your home plumbing then I ran the coolant from my coolant filter piping through this copper tubing. The CCV mod stays nice and hot so there is no worry of some condensation collecting in the bottom of it freezing and plugging it off. It's more work but I don't like just running a hose to the ground like some gys do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would think if you hugged the CCV tube close to the engine block the added heat will help get things toasty quick (quick enough to melt whatever ice has accumulated).

I may be out of line though, the coldest this Texan sees is temps in the teens for a couple days a year.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I left mine under the hood but i like the copper tubing or ss tubing. My question is and no one has told me, is it bad to drive through a dusty area with the ccv mod.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I left mine under the hood but i like the copper tubing or ss tubing. My question is and no one has told me, is it bad to drive through a dusty area with the ccv mod.
Considering the crank case pressure is pushing gas going out the tube, I dont see how dirt could get into the engine, especially if you have a longer ccv tube (i.e 3 ft)

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you make the entire run slightly downhill, the tube will never choke up. I've had mine over a year and it got into the teens here last winter, never had one bit of trouble. You will see some steam from condensate burning off, but no concerns.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if your worried about dust just put a breather filter on the end of the line then you will definitely have some filtration if any air is going in and all the oil will just leak out the filter media if it accumulates enough. I know some of the 6.4's seem to have barely any noticeable collection in their canisters so a lot of guys have just vented to air and a breather would give you that peace of mind for keeping the dust out.

EDIT Here's S&B choices for you, good filter media and good price :) think I will use this for mine now too!
http://www.sbfilters.com/Store/Aluminum-Base-Vent-Tubes

·
Registered
230 Posts
I did put a filter on and ppl were saying i was dumb cuz id over pressure it. i drilled holes in the filter so oil could escape but it would filter any incoming air i also did this cuz i was told ccv have a slight vacuum. i was also goin to weld a expansion nipple on my exhaust downstream of the cross member (good distance away from the turbo) that way gases could escape, the expansion would prevent any exhaust goin in to the ccv (if the vacuum thing is true) and the exhaust is positive pressure so nothing not even dirt could enter.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
My brother works for a school bus company, as he takes the older busses out of service, he let's me have the ccv filter. They are big rancors,and work well, tried the home made and diddnt work as well. These even come with hoses. Check around you may get lucky.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the feed back......... anyone got any pictures of the kit mounted under the hood??

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
My brother works for a school bus company, as he takes the older busses out of service, he let's me have the ccv filter. They are big rancors,and work well, tried the home made and diddnt work as well. These even come with hoses. Check around you may get lucky.
You mean Racor I think, plus you can buy heated blanket cover for them.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I did put a filter on and ppl were saying i was dumb cuz id over pressure it. i drilled holes in the filter so oil could escape but it would filter any incoming air i also did this cuz i was told ccv have a slight vacuum. i was also goin to weld a expansion nipple on my exhaust downstream of the cross member (good distance away from the turbo) that way gases could escape, the expansion would prevent any exhaust goin in to the ccv (if the vacuum thing is true) and the exhaust is positive pressure so nothing not even dirt could enter.
No the vacuum think is not true as the internal volume of a rotating motor stays the same since when a piston is moving down another is moving up so there is nothing drawing in air except when the motor is shut off the hot gases inside the engine cold off and shrink slightly drawing in air. Not sure what you mean by expansion nipple but this method has been around for decades. Just cut a metal tube at a 45 degree angle, drill a hole downstream of your muffler by at least a foot, insert the metal tube at a 45 degree angle so that the end you cut is pointing in the direction of the exhaust flow and when it's welded in place the angled cut should be at 90 degrees to the exhaust pipe plus centered in the middle, run a hose from your engine CCV outlet to this tube you just installed making sure there are no low spots to collect moisture and freeze and then as close to that tube as possible install a check valve like this. CCV check valve

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was thinking check valve but i was worried the exhaust gases would be to strong and keep the check valve closed causing the ccv to over pressure

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
No, that's why you put it downstream of your muffler. Plus, with the tube opening facing in the direction of exhaust flow most of the time there would be a very slight vacuum. Try this, cut the end of a straw, stick the other end in a glass of water then use an air hose to blow across the end of the straw, you will see the water get draw up the straw slightly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Venturi effect. Im straight piped so will it work the same

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
IDK every one I've seen was cut on an angle.

Edit: duh me, I was thinking straight pipe as the CCV pipe but you meant your exhaust system, yah it will work the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts