Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas i just ordered the CCV reroute kit and the 6637 kit from RiffRaff Diesel Performance. I have to say that the 6637 kit is awesome and I love it.
Here is a pic of the 6637 installed:

After install it there is definetly a seat of the pants difference in feel. It is very loud under the hood and you can actually hear it sucking air. I really like it.

The CCV reroute was pretty strait forward and very easy and after doing it and have a question.

The hose just hangs down on the ouside of the frame rail kinda between the front and rear door. I just went and got some grub and went through the drive through and it was smoking out of the hose. Is this normal? If i build a catch can will it help get rid of the smoke? The smoke has no ordor but i dont want people thinking that my truck is about to catch fire.

Thanks guys
Jarret

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump to the top... i know someone has an answer to my question.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The smoke is definitely normal. My brother did the CCV on his 01 and it puffed like crazy even when he had a huge breather on the hose.
But get ahold of a catch can and you'll be good to go.:nod:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the catch can is the trick? that will stop it from smoking?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yea, the can is it. He made two small holes on the top of the can and put breather material behind them. He just wanted to make sure that he didnt cause a build-up of pressure.
But the vapors dont really even come out with hardly any pressure.
Since he did the can I havent seen any smoke out of it.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i was looking for. thanks man

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The smoke is normal as pointed out. But if you want an easier solution than building a catch can, just route the hose up toward your fan. It will dissipate the smoke.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine smokes. Only really notice it if I am at a drive through at night and someone is behind me. I worried about it for a while till I found out it was normal for the 7.3.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Any pics of the CCV hooked up? I looked at it on their site and theirs looks different than the one Raul carries. Also cheaper!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No i didnt take any pics bc it was so easy to do. if you want some i can go snap some but all it comes with is 4 o-rings, 2 for the bolts and 2 for the bottom of the doghouse, a piece of 4inch pipe to put in the intake where the stock CCV goes into the intake at, an adaper to hook the *90 on the doghouse up to the hose that they send you, and some instructions. I ordered mine with the 6637 all together and i could not be more happier. Great product for the money.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No i didnt take any pics bc it was so easy to do. if you want some i can go snap some but all it comes with is 4 o-rings, 2 for the bolts and 2 for the bottom of the doghouse, a piece of 4inch pipe to put in the intake where the stock CCV goes into the intake at, an adaper to hook the *90 on the doghouse up to the hose that they send you, and some instructions. I ordered mine with the 6637 all together and i could not be more happier. Great product for the money.
Alrighty. I was looking around on their site and they seem to of have some pretty good deals. I think I may order a couple things from them!

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
There CCV mod is not the same as the one Raul sells!!! All they are doing is running as hose out the back, not the right way to do this mod. and yes I make the ones Raul sells!! You don't need to buy that kit if you just want to run a hose out the back!! But it is messy and stinks!! My collection canister forms a closed loop system and returns the air to the factory place on the intake, so it doesn't void emmissions!! All oil and oil vapor is collected in the canister to be drained at your convienence. Have over 400 of them on the road now, well proven, and it simply works. You can also run a hose to atmosphere after the canister, but then you are messing with emmissions!! I just wanted to make sure people understood the two are not anywhere close to being equal!! You can always PM for more info or email Raul.

CCV Mod

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
There CCV mod is not the same as the one Raul sells!!! All they are doing is running as hose out the back, not the right way to do this mod. and yes I make the ones Raul sells!! You don't need to buy that kit if you just want to run a hose out the back!! But it is messy and stinks!! My collection canister forms a closed loop system and returns the air to the factory place on the intake, so it doesn't void emmissions!! All oil and oil vapor is collected in the canister to be drained at your convienence. Have over 400 of them on the road now, well proven, and it simply works. You can also run a hose to atmosphere after the canister, but then you are messing with emmissions!! I just wanted to make sure people understood the two are not anywhere close to being equal!! You can always PM for more info or email Raul.

CCV Mod

I bought nchornet's CCV mod, his catch canister is pretty stout, I haven't installed it yet, but will in the coming week. I'm satisfied that it's going to remove the excess oil from my intake. I bought it because I'm installing a 6.0 IC and want the oil removed before putting it in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The reason I don't like the Riff-raff kit is that the intake tube is not attached to the engine like the OEM tube. So the whole intake is floppy. The Dieselsite sells a kit, but without O-rings, that is pretty much the same except the metal intake tube actually has a flange to bolt it to the engine just like OEM.

As I understand it, International designed this engine to have the CCV dump out near the firewall so the "right" way to do this mod depends on if you want to be like the engine maker or like Ford.

Some nasty side effects of the IH way include the smoke, drips, and stink of the vented gasses.

·
Registered
203 Posts
on my dodge my stupid crankcase vent is on the front of the motor its a hose that goes in to a bottle...bottle fills up and oil goes all over the front of the engine. terrible design...i got a hose ran under the truck and it got quiet a bit of blow by. looks bad at night with the headlights on. i got to do a ccv mod on my 7.3

·
Registered
36 Posts

CCV Mod
where would be the best place to mount the canister????

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
on my dodge my stupid crankcase vent is on the front of the motor its a hose that goes in to a bottle...bottle fills up and oil goes all over the front of the engine. terrible design...i got a hose ran under the truck and it got quiet a bit of blow by. looks bad at night with the headlights on. i got to do a ccv mod on my 7.3
Get in touch with me. I know the way Dodge designed it and it is crappy, every Cummins has a oil bath under the engine and trans. Cal Trans got pissed because those bottles were everywhere along the road side. I would like to design my CCV mod to work on the Cummins. It would be the easiest of all of them. PM me if interested.

NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
where would be the best place to mount the canister????
Maverick,
Best place is along the drivers side frame rail, the closer to the engine compartment the easier it is to not have any low spots in the supply line. Mine sits under the drivers seat because I have my coolant filter in front of it. I did the coolant filter first, ideally I would like them reversed, but it works great.

NCH

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maverick,
Best place is along the drivers side frame rail, the closer to the engine compartment the easier it is to not have any low spots in the supply line. Mine sits under the drivers seat because I have my coolant filter in front of it. I did the coolant filter first, ideally I would like them reversed, but it works great.

NCH
NCHornet,
thank you for the rapid reply !!!! I was thinking in the same location as your recommendation.... will be placing an order for the ccv canister system very very soon... I have a new 6.0L i/c to install and this mod will help keep oil/vapors out of it.... thanks again !!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
NCHornet,

would like to order a ccv kit from you at this time if possible and to include all the necessary o-rings for the dog house... I would like to pay with pay-pal if possible...-mel-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts