Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want to have a CB radio so that I can say I have a good reason for the 3ft whips :hehe: I can run the coax (missspelled) cable but im not sure how to wire the power from the fuse box. can anyone help me out with how i get the power?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
my fuse panel is under my dash, i have my CB wired into a fuse there.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
my fuse panel is under my dash, i have my CB wired into a fuse there.
I did the same thing with the hot wire. Picked a fuse that has constant power backed the fuse out and stuck the wire in and pushed the fuse in tight. Then took the black wire and grounded it to a metal bracket underneath the dash.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I hooked mine directly to the battery with inline fuse. When you get the radio read the owners manual for installation directions. Install it with the way they say to. Some radios require a good powersource like my radio RCI 6300FT needs to be hooked directly to the battery due to the power it requires.

Also make sure you have the antenna matched to the radio. This will prevent damage to the radio and will ensure the best performance from the radio.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I hooked mine directly to the battery with inline fuse. When you get the radio read the owners manual for installation directions. Install it with the way they say to. Some radios require a good powersource like my radio RCI 6300FT needs to be hooked directly to the battery due to the power it requires.

Also make sure you have the antenna matched to the radio. This will prevent damage to the radio and will ensure the best performance from the radio.
:ditto:
exactly right. Run it to the battery imo also. Don't mess around with the fuse panel, but you do have to put your own in line fuse in.

Oh, don't forget, you can run dual whips, but don't hook them both to the radio. Yoiu'll never get it to work right....

Good luck

later

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree! Go to the Battery. If you run to the fuse panel you get tons of RF interence from all the components run to the box such as blower motor windshild wipers.... Remember HIEGHT is MIGHT... 3ft whips wont cut it.....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I ran dual 4 footers on my 79 and it nave came in good was it maybe because both whips were hooked to the radio??

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If you run dual antennas then they need to be properly spaced. Aproximately 1ft for every ft of antenna. So if your running dual 4ft antennas then they need to be spaced at least 8ft from each other in order to operate properly.

Also when you run duals you end up sending beams forward and backwards. This is why truckers will run duals so they transpond forward and behind them which is usaully the directions they wish to speak.

When you run a single antenna you transpond in a 360 degree circle. Now typical radio's and antennas are good up to 5 miles. Non-modified standard CB radios work with around 5watts of power. They work with in a specific frequency range from channel 1-40.

Other radios 10m, 12m, fm, radios work differently and require licenses from the FCC to be used. 10m, 12m and radios with side band are considered HAM radios and require a HAM license. FM shortwave radios require a shortwave license from the FCC.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill do the battery but where can i get a cable spliter for the coax?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ill do the battery but where can i get a cable spliter for the coax?
Radio Shack has all the connections for your coax. Or go to a truckstop they usually have them as well. If your going to run duals have them setup by a cb radio shop. Your antenna needs to be matched to the radio. If you do not have a good match to the radio then you risk damaging your radio.

·
Registered
353 Posts
By matching are you referring to get the getting the SWR in an acceptable range or you talking beyond that?

·
Registered
214 Posts
good ground most def. i do it for a living direct to battery inline fuse and good ground one more time then use swr meter o yea and good gound once more lol the ant. should match the radio but i have done some mix match junk and i worked. (and by junk i ment ant. broke so the best thing he had was a cloths hanger or something stuck in it.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got a Cobra 29ltd classic for xmas and hadnt installed it yet. Figured it was about time to get to it, so I ordered a truck bed mount and a 5' wilson fgt antenna. I should have 3' of antenna clearing the cab. Since someone was talking about matching the antenna to the cb, I started wondering if this would work ok.
Also do I have to ground the antenna with a ground strap?
I bought an adapter to use to plug the cb power in to the cig lighter in the truck. Will I still have to ground the cb?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cant hurt to ground it....

·
Registered
214 Posts
ground is the most important if the ground sucks the range will go down the drain. lol but i would wire it direct with fuses and get a good ground on the ant.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your antenna mount should already have the ground portion in it. It should be metal and bolting to a metal bed...
If the radio is stock, go ahead and shoot me but I think running it to the battery is a waste of time and wire. Even if its peaked and tuned, they don't draw much power. 30W even at poor efficiency is still only about a 5-7 amp draw.

I have a Galaxy 66 thats been peaked, tuned, etc and wired to the fuse box.. and its clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts