Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have my CB mounted infront of my fuse panel, but i want to move it up to the middle on the ceiling. Any advice on mounting it up there, not quite sure were to tap into?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thats what I want to do too. On my previous trucks I used a Shelf It to mount the radio and it made for a handy place to keep other small items in easy reach too. The trick is finding a Shelf It cause I don't think they make them anymore.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have heard that the bottom of you antenna needs to be higher than you cb so you may want to research that if you arent going to put the antenna on the roof.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
i have heard that the bottom of you antenna needs to be higher than you cb so you may want to research that if you arent going to put the antenna on the roof.
Not true, if it was then semi rigs that have the cb's mounted up high in the cab would not work as good as they do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a degree in wireless communications And there is no truth to that. All of the received and broadcast signals go through the antenna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree... I work in the communications feild (you know, those towers with the dishes and stuff) and the height of the antenna with regards to the radio doesn't matter. Only the seperation of the antenna(s) with regards to the radio matters. If there isn't enough seperation, then the mike cord can act like an antenna and pick up the transmitted RF causing whistles and buzz. I operate a Ham Radio in my truck with 100 watts output and I mounted the antenna on a removeable mount starting at the back bumper. At full extension of the antenna (to operate on 7.2 MHz), the antenna is almost 14 feet tall and it works great! I advise running a seperate power lead from the fuse box up behind the interior trim piece on next to the window. That will allow the power to the radio to be at the proper voltage and the radio will work better. You might have to run a ground wire along with it. I would also use number 14 or 12 stranded wire asthe smallest gage of wire. Good luck! .... Gassman

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any suggestions on how to mount it to my roof tho? not sure if i want to put in a shelf it

·
Registered
828 Posts
I believ there is a support beam in the roof but i dont remember the location

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, to the best of my recollection, there's a support under the headliner, but I can't remember where. I was wondering if a boat supply store would have a fiberglass "shelf" or enclosure that you could use to mount the radio in? Hmm... have to check out Boaters World and see what they might have... Gassman

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
There is a support that is about 8 inches wide. It is located under the headliner near the front of the cab by the windshield. It goes along the front windshield 8 inches back towards the passenger compartment. Depending on the wieght of the radio will depend on if I would mount it there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of fabricating an enclosure for the radio, and then having it upholstered, any one ever seen that before?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I was thinking of fabricating an enclosure for the radio, and then having it upholstered, any one ever seen that before?
Just make sure it has good air flow through it. CB radios when used alot do get hot. If they can not vent out air and cool air come in to cool them off they will over heat. This will not usually cause a fire but it will damage the radio.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Not true, if it was then semi rigs that have the cb's mounted up high in the cab would not work as good as they do.
There is a partial myth to that statement HOWEVER there IS one concern about antenna placement that everyone should be aware of...especially if your set is clipped or amped.
I'll tell you the story of what happened to me driving my 95 tbird 4.6 thru the long island expressway about 10 years back. I was cruising along on cruise control at about 60 while talking on my 2 meter fm transciever (ham) at 5 watt power level. My antenna was mounted on the trunk lip. Every thing was going fine. My signal was getting too weak to continue the conversation so I upped it to 50 watts. When I pressed the push to talk the next time around...cruise control went beserk and did a near full acceleration and downshifted. Holy crap was my reaction. I let off the mike and tapped the brake. Had I been in heavy traffic ,I would have rearended the person in front of me for sure.
Our trucks are now full of electronic goodies (abs,cruise control , cpu's,and unshielded wires. If your antenaa is not higher than your roof line and your signal is extra strong or a little noisy...beware that you could affect
one of these systems (if the signal bounces around in your cab.)

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
There is a partial myth to that statement HOWEVER there IS one concern about antenna placement that everyone should be aware of...especially if your set is clipped or amped.
I'll tell you the story of what happened to me driving my 95 tbird 4.6 thru the long island expressway about 10 years back. I was cruising along on cruise control at about 60 while talking on my 2 meter fm transciever (ham) at 5 watt power level. My antenna was mounted on the trunk lip. Every thing was going fine. My signal was getting too weak to continue the conversation so I upped it to 50 watts. When I pressed the push to talk the next time around...cruise control went beserk and did a near full acceleration and downshifted. Holy crap was my reaction. I let off the mike and tapped the brake. Had I been in heavy traffic ,I would have rearended the person in front of me for sure.
Our trucks are now full of electronic goodies (abs,cruise control , cpu's,and unshielded wires. If your antenaa is not higher than your roof line and your signal is extra strong or a little noisy...beware that you could affect
one of these systems (if the signal bounces around in your cab.)
Your problem was most likely related to the amount of power you were pushing. Most likely it was not related to the radio or antenna. Pushing 50 watts may cause electronic items to act wierd.

One story I can tell you about. I proved this to my old boss. By the way this is illegal and I do not codone anyone to do this.

Running a regular cb with a 250watt texas linear. I pulled into the wash bay of the car wash I worked at. I turned on my radio with the linear off. I keyed the mic. Nothing happened, then I turned the linear on and keyed the mic. Next thing you know the coin thing that operates the wash. Well it showed 10 minutes of wash time. I keyed it again and got another 10 minutes. I kept doing this until my boss told me to stop. Needless to say my boss had the wash bays rewired and made sure that the computer system was grounded and properly shielded to protect from interferance. Needless say no one got free washes after that.

If you run enough power through a radio you will cause electronic interferance. It is all about shielding and grounding. The more you pay for your coax the better the shielding is the better your reception and transmission will be.

This has nothing to do with mounting location of the antenna or radio. Also make sure you always have the radio and antenna tuned. The lower the numbers on the swr meter the better off you will be. Higher the numbers on the swr meter the worse the radio will perform. I always suggest that you have your radio and antenna tuned by a radio shop after installation and before use.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thats what I want to do too. On my previous trucks I used a Shelf It to mount the radio and it made for a handy place to keep other small items in easy reach too. The trick is finding a Shelf It cause I don't think they make them anymore.
JC Whitney
VDP USA

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's a few pics of my truck that might help out.

And I'll throw this one in there just for the fun of it.

Yeah it's illegal, what are you going to do about it?:haha:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Your problem was most likely related to the amount of power you were pushing. Most likely it was not related to the radio or antenna. Pushing 50 watts may cause electronic items to act wierd.

One story I can tell you about. I proved this to my old boss. By the way this is illegal and I do not codone anyone to do this.

Running a regular cb with a 250watt texas linear. I pulled into the wash bay of the car wash I worked at. I turned on my radio with the linear off. I keyed the mic. Nothing happened, then I turned the linear on and keyed the mic. Next thing you know the coin thing that operates the wash. Well it showed 10 minutes of wash time. I keyed it again and got another 10 minutes. I kept doing this until my boss told me to stop. Needless to say my boss had the wash bays rewired and made sure that the computer system was grounded and properly shielded to protect from interferance. Needless say no one got free washes after that.

If you run enough power through a radio you will cause electronic interferance. It is all about shielding and grounding. The more you pay for your coax the better the shielding is the better your reception and transmission will be.

This has nothing to do with mounting location of the antenna or radio. Also make sure you always have the radio and antenna tuned. The lower the numbers on the swr meter the better off you will be. Higher the numbers on the swr meter the worse the radio will perform. I always suggest that you have your radio and antenna tuned by a radio shop after installation and before use.
It had absolutely EVERYTHING to do with the antenna and the location of it.The antenna had a perfect transmision path thru the back window.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Most likely though the rf went through the brake wires since they are the longest antennas on the car.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
It had absolutely EVERYTHING to do with the antenna and the location of it.The antenna had a perfect transmision path thru the back window.
1 antenna transmits 360 degrees. So if you have it on the roof, hood, bumper, door, or where ever it still transmits in 360 degrees.

Now I have had a 91 t-bird with a cb in it. Antenna mounted on the trunk lid in the center. Probablly pretty similar to your set up. I was running alot more watts then you. Although HAM is different then CB I will admit that. But I never had any problems with that car. Or operating the cb at peak power in that car.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Here's a few pics of my truck that might help out.

And I'll throw this one in there just for the fun of it.

Yeah it's illegal, what are you going to do about it?:haha:

Hey you got the smaller radio then I got. I have the RCI6300FT. It is has the 150 watt built in kicker on it. Hey you know that alternator is facing the wrong way.:hehe:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts