Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am mounting a CB and a police scanner in my truck. I usually get stuff like that professionally wired because they will take more time than I will to get it done.

Concerning the antennas... Is there any way to run both the CB and the Police scanner off one Antenna?

I will be running dual 18" fiberglass (shorties) off the toolbox, about an inch higher than the cab (parking decks FTL)....

I thought I found a part awhile ago that you could use your stock Antenna (radio one) with some connector to run a scanner or CB... its not that powerful but it does the job...

Ideas?

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
So I am mounting a CB and a police scanner in my truck. I usually get stuff like that professionally wired because they will take more time than I will to get it done.

Concerning the antennas... Is there any way to run both the CB and the Police scanner off one Antenna?

I will be running dual 18" fiberglass (shorties) off the toolbox, about an inch higher than the cab (parking decks FTL)....

I thought I found a part awhile ago that you could use your stock Antenna (radio one) with some connector to run a scanner or CB... its not that powerful but it does the job...

Ideas?

I've been fooling with radios for years now, and there is a way to use your stock am/fm antenna system, but the actual antenna gets replaced but still looks fairly stock. As far as putting your scanner and CB on the same antenna, it's possible, but I'm not sure I would do it that way. I'm also not too sure about going co-phased antennas. I'm not sure they are far enough apart on a pick up. Looks cool though, I'm just not too sure about it benefitting you any more than my Wilson 1000 on the roof. The higher the better, and a good tuned magnet or roof mount is pretty much the best preforming antenna. I would use a cell phone antenna for the scanner.

just my thoughts, thats all

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should mount the dual 18"s for my CB on the tool box, and then use the stock antenna for the scanner?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
FYI check with your local laws. Some states it is illegal to have a police scanner in your truck. Unless you are a Police Officer or work in Law Enforcement.

To answer your question. No you can not run the CB and Scanner off the same antenna. The scanner is fm, and the cb is am. There for they do not use the same type of antenna. Also if you tried to run them off the same antenna. It would most likely mess up your match for your cb. Which a bad match with the cb and antenna can cause damage to the cb.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Maybe I should mount the dual 18"s for my CB on the tool box, and then use the stock antenna for the scanner?
Do not use short 18inch antennas for your cb. You want at least a 4ft antenna for the cb. also if you run a 4ft dual antenna set up you will want at least 8ft between each antenna.

Your best option for cb antenna is to mount in the most center of the truck. Which usually means on the top of the cab in the center of the roof. Why is this you may ask?

Well when you mount a single antenna on the center of your roof. You just made your whole truck a ground plane for your antenna. Which will give you the best transmission and reception out of your radio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts