Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have good knowledge about cb radios and antenna. I got a cobra 29 lx with a K-30 antenna but I need something better and would almost like to get mirror mount antenna but would like to see some feedback from people that have done this before. Any help would be great Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mirror mount antennas are pretty dated. I would highly recommend a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna, easily removable and amazing performance. Check out copper electronics.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
My cophased antenna mounts did great.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Mirror mounting will not get you the best performance, when compared to a roof mounted magnet based antennae like the Wilson 1000 (base loaded). I have a Wilson 3000 (center loaded) mounted to the toolbox in the bed, which will relocate to the headache rack once installed.

Here's a thread with a lot of CB related information:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/off-topic/214063-master-cb-thread.html

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Higher is usually better, yes. Just saying that with what I did, it worked perfectly fine.

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts
I have a Wilson 1000 magmount on my headache rack. Works awesome and is easily removed when enterring low overhead areas. If you use a roof mount be sure it's always got a good coat of wax and no dirt under it to prevent rust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
9' whip

The CB was designed around the 9'S.S. whip, everything else is designed to cheat. With that said the Wilson line of antennas would be my go-to. I have a 9' on my 2003 F250 & Wilson 5000 on my 2004 F150:dunno:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The CB wasn't designed around an antenna, but just at a certain wavelength.

"The CB portion of the spectrum begins at 25.01 megahertz, so a full wavelength antenna would be a bit more than 39.34 feet long. That's obviously a little long to attach to your bumper, so people tend to use antennas that are a fraction of the wavelength: 1/2, 5/8, 1/4 and 1/8 are all common wavelengths for antennas. In the case of CB, the 1/4 antenna at just under 10 feet long is the common "whip" that you may see on cars and trucks."

So, technically, your "9' S.S. whip" is still cheating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB

Sorry, a 1/2 wave antenna for a mobile would be impractical. I was stretching it a little. My point is that anything other than a 9' whip (on a car or truck) IS designed to cheat, and can't handle the power the whip can. Thanx for the clearification though.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The power? Unless you're going super amped with your radio, any antenna should do fine with the "legal" 4 watts of power.
A bottom load antenna is best.
Mid load's aren't as good, and top loads are best.
The antenna is shorter than a certain "best length" but if you look close, you will see all the coils that are would around the main shaft and that's where all your length has gone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB power

Legal? 4 watts?? Am I on the right forum??? I dead key 2400 RMS! I can turn my dead key down to .... maybe 400 watts RMS with the beast on. The driver alone (2) TSC 2879's will do 200 watts, into (8) TSC 2879's @ 14 volts....will dead key 1200 watts RMS, crank the volts to 20 volt...double the power. I have been CB for 20 years, spent thousands of dollars. trust me you don't wan't to touch my antenna when I key, it catches trees on fire. AC voltage on transmit, 1000+ volts AC. In my signature... "DEADLY CB"! No joke. :wink[3]:

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB

There is nothing legal about my truck, how many of us are there out there? I wasn't born in TEXAS, but I can't wait to get there! Is your truck legal??? I don't think so....Thank you for the discussion though, I'm new to replying to the threads. I'm sorry my 2 cents can't get any change....OBAMA!

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB

HA!HA! it's all in good fun though.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Idk what your deal is. All I said was that the "legal" wattage of CBs was 4 watts and how that could relate to your antenna choice. As in, an antenna that is at a fraction of the wavelength probably won't be a huge deal.
Legal in quotation marks. As in most don't have a FCC legal unit.
As far as I know, my truck is fully legal and compliant with most laws I know of in TX.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB

Well, your quote of the "best antenna is a base coil antenna" is incorrect. The best antenna is a 9' whip, the best antenna other than a 9' whip would be a base coil antenna made by Wilson, such as the 1000 or 5000. Your information of frequency and wavelength is correct, your choice of antenna needs to be re-thought, 4 watts or 4000 watts. The best choice of antenna for 27 mhz is a 9' whip, regardless of power. The next issue is convienience (short whip) and ease of installation (magnet mount).

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
When I said best I meant out of the coiled ones. You got me there.
And my other info was copy and pasted, so of course it's right :rofl::hehe:

·
Registered
17 Posts
CB

10/4 good buddy! On my kids truck I put a Wilson 5000, I had a 225w Palomar laying around. It leaves him room for upgrades when he gets his license, hopefully TEXAS.

·
Registered
239 Posts
808xon you got any other linears laying around. i have my cb and going to get the antenna k40 but the 15watt im putting out now isnt enough
mike
sorry to hijack the thread

·
Registered
17 Posts
linear

I have a stock Messenger M800, but I think my kid wan'ts it. If you go to E-Bay, click on electronics, ham radio, amplifiers....most of those amplifiers are what you are looking for. They have to advertise them in ham to be legal, make sure that they can operate on 10 meter (27 Mhz). I don't think the K40 can handle power, see previous threads....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts