Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forgive me if this is a stupid question but is it possible to mount a cb radio antenna along the inside of the roof rack(as in parallel to it)? and also could i do the same thing with a police scanner antenna?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you mount your CB antenna horizontally it will broadcast a signal polarized to a horizontal plane. The signal would be directional side to side of the truck. This is mostly done with base station to base station antennas that use multiple elements to focus the signal in a specific direction. Maybe you've seen big antennas on towers that have horizontal and vertical elements. The vertical elements are to transmit to mobile units. A single, vertical, antenna mounted in the center of the roof gives the best all around signal (the roof acts as the ground plane to shape the signal strength pattern and focus the signal. Truckers use co-phased mirror mount antennas to focus the signal strength up and down the highway, but if the antennas are too close together it will focus the signal side to side.
Hope this helps,
MW

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I don't know if I understood that completely but would that mean that I could run it perpendicular to the roof racks (basically between them in like an I format so to speak) would that make it directional front and/or rear?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, technically yes, but you would only have good reception and transmitting to other horizontally phased antenna. I don't know what kind of range that would give on the CB wave length of 39.34 feet (probably bad or it would be be done by truckers). Horizontally phased antenna are usually mounted on tall towers.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and the site I'll read up on it in the morning ... What I was trying to do was make something very low profile because well the cb antennas are kind of an eye sore and I'm trying to keep my truck looking all pretty lol ... Sorry if I sound like an idiot too I haven't done any research on this subject as of yet I figured y not post this little idea but I guess it was a stupid little idea lol again thanks for all the help

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, I understand where you're coming from. Two reasons I haven't mounted a radio in my Excursion are no good under-dash location (I may do a F650 dash mod) and I haven't wanted to drill a hole in the roof. I had a magnetic mount on my previous truck and it really screwed up the paint after a few years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts