Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 4'' catback exhaust system. I don't really want my truck to be louder (its a 6.0) I just want the added whistle sound when its idling, not for it to actually be louder when driving it. Im just curious to know if the catback system will add any whistle.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm looking for a 4'' catback exhaust system. I don't really want my truck to be louder (its a 6.0) I just want the added whistle sound when its idling, not for it to actually be louder when driving it. Im just curious to know if the catback system will add any whistle.
The cat will actually make it not whistle as would the muffler.
Does your state have emissions? If not than maybe a turbo back with kitty cat delete and a muffler delete if you want the loudest whistle.

I personally like having a muffler cause it does get very very loud

There's a few vendors on here that will be glad to give you a deal! And welcome to the org!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Get a turbo back that comes with a muffler, and that let's you keep ur cat. The turbo back systems have a larger downpipe which will allow it to breathe better, and they come with a muffler that flows much better than the stock one. You can even get a turbo back system that removes the cat, but comes with a high flow muffler, and it will still be pretty quiet.

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
The whistle will be muffled by the muffler and the cat...

So if you want the whistle, you'll have to remove the cat and muffler which is called straight piping.

That will make your truck loud though...

So it really makes no difference for what you want, but a turboback system is what you should get.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Welcome to the org. Odawg is right. I've been in his truck, and it has a ton of power but the exhaust isn't ungodly loud. Actually sounds really good. Now my trucks a different story lol. Ur best bet would get a turbo back that deletes the cat and has a good muffler. Depending on ur local emission laws, u might want to keep the cat and have some flanges installed on the new exhaust so u can install the cat for ur inspection, and then put the straight thru pipe back on when ur done with it.

I also know people who hollow out the cat and reinstall it so it isn't as obvious.

But always check with ur local emission laws before doing so.

Andy

·
6,471 Posts
^^^ Yep, what they said.

My truck is straight piped and it is LOUD when romping on the go fast pedal.

But that's the only time it's really loud... :look: :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info! I was just looking at an AFE Large Bore HD Exhaust System and it said, turbo back but retains Cat does this mean it replaces down pipe but keeps stock cat?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I vote 03 turbo if you want whistle only

·
Registered
158 Posts
I noticed a decent increase in whistle when I went to a 4" pipe with a free flow big truck muffler and no cat. Other than the whistle, it's really not much louder than stock except when I really get on it. Even my wife thinks it sounds good.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I got a very short just idleing thread of my 5" tb with a 03 turbo in my sig. Ya it gets noisy but nothin like a small block that is straight piped. And if you roll the windows up these truck are fairly sound proof IMO.

·
6,471 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I was just looking at an AFE Large Bore HD Exhaust System and it said, turbo back but retains Cat does this mean it replaces down pipe but keeps stock cat?
It will step the pipe diameter down to 3 1/2 inches to allow the cat to be clamped on, then the other side steps back up to the larger diameter pipe.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My MBRP CAT back 4" kit is perfect, i have the cat deleted and that really lets it sing.

It's in no way obnoxious or loud, just a deep rumble with a high pitch whine....

I wouldn't have it any other way...

D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmm. I have the MBRP S6206P Turbo-back straight pipe. It keeps the OEM mounting configuration for the cat but I purchased the MBRP FAL414 cat delete test pipe to put in its place whenever I'm not at a smog station. It has no muffler but does have a kind of resonator. IMO, it's not noisy at all - at least not for me when I'm in the truck driving it, and really that's all that matters, right? And that whistle at idle, is pure awesomeness!
Getting rid of the cat and muffler, along with the larger diameter pipes, takes away A LOT of that turbo lag when you get on the gas from a dead stop, so IMO it's the only way to go.
Now, my buddy had me get on it as I drove past him while he stood idly by on the sidewalk. He said it was DEFINITELY loud, but also sounded badass, and like I said, so long as it's not loud th the people sitting in the truck that's all that matters to me.
IMO, at $400 for both, to my door, this MBRP system is hard to beat, especially considering it's ready to accept the stock cat come smog time...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hmm. I have the MBRP S6206P Turbo-back straight pipe. It keeps the OEM mounting configuration for the cat but I purchased the MBRP FAL414 cat delete test pipe
IMO, at $400 for both, to my door, this MBRP system is hard to beat, especially considering it's ready to accept the stock cat come smog time...
This is the exact same setup I have, to hear it roar under overpasses you have to roll down the rear windows :crazy:

D

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is the exact same setup I have, to hear it roar under overpasses you have to roll down the rear windows :crazy:

D
Colonel you should try and get a sound clip to post if you don't already have one. Yours seems to be the route to go for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 4" Diamond Eye, no cat, no muffler. Nice whistle, only loud when I want it to be. I posted a sound clip at idle on here already in another exhaust thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts