Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looky what I found today!:D

And holy s*** does it need it

Ive read as many write-ups as my eyes can bear, anybody have any "hot tips" or general advice on flushing :dunno:, looking into have a local guy do it since he is great with these beasts and only wanting to charge $55

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow, how much does he charge an hour? That sounds like a drain and fill job.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, how much does he charge an hour? That sounds like a drain and fill job.
Hes a pretty good friend so that might have sometghing to do with it:dunno:, he says thats a full flsuh with me bringing the elc and vc-9

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Might wanna throw in a gallon of Fleetgaurd Restore while your at it since your doing a chemical flush with VC-9. Also if you do decide to do the restore flush do it first then the vc-9 second.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You better make sure that cat coolant is Fully Formulated and not 50/50 premix or ready to use coolant.
Just went and checked and i'll be damned, premix :tard: ... guess i'll go pick up 3 more gallons tomorrow

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might wanna throw in a gallon of Fleetgaurd Restore while your at it since your doing a chemical flush with VC-9. Also if you do decide to do the restore flush do it first then the vc-9 second.
Noted, preciate the help

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
:agree:

Also, do you have a coolant filter installed yet?

And just be ready to be replacing your oil cooler pretty soon... It's common that after you flush the system that it clogs up your oil cooler that is installed!

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Just went and checked and i'll be damned, premix :tard: ... guess i'll go pick up 3 more gallons tomorrow
Just take it back and goto napa and pick up a case of zerex ec-1 rated elc coolant fully formulated part number is ZXED-1 at napa you can usually pick it up for around $15/gal. Don't put premix in your cooling system after you flush regardless of how much of it you buy you won't get the ratio right because the cooling system retains about 3.5 - 4 gallons of water after you drain everything. You need concentrate for a flush and refill then you can use 50/50 premix to top off a low system.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:agree:

Also, do you have a coolant filter installed yet?

And just be ready to be replacing your oil cooler pretty soon... It's common that after you flush the system that it clogs up your oil cooler that is installed!
I went ahead and ordered the dieselsite filter and as soon as i have the money (it also has a small oil leak around the cooler?? :dunno:(correct me if im wrong) im gonna go ahead and replace it too

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just take it back and goto napa and pick up a case of zerex ec-1 rated elc coolant fully formulated part number is ZXED-1 at napa you can usually pick it up for around $15/gal. Don't put premix in your cooling system after you flush regardless of how much of it you buy you won't get the ratio right because the cooling system retains about 3.5 - 4 gallons of water after you drain everything. You need concentrate for a flush and refill then you can use 50/50 premix to top off a low system.
I'll do it, thanks for all the help :noteworthy:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So since im getting all the supplies and im a newb, can you guys help me with a basic list of what all i need to bring to my mechanic

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Well is he just doing the coolant flush and refill or is he doing an oil cooler swap for you too?

For the flush and fill you can order 2 f-108n fumoto quick drain valves for the engine block. It makes it MUCH MUCH easier to drain the coolant from the block with these. Also get some fleetguard restore ( call all the local big truck dealership parts desks eg; freightliner, volvo, peterbuilt, kwhopper etc..) and see if they either have it or can order it for you if they have it and you haven't purchased the vc-9 yet then order the fleetguard restore and restore + ( restore + is the same as vc-9 only you can get a gallon for under $30 where vc-9 is around $30 per quart)

Then take those flushes along with about 24 gallons of distilled water and your case of coolant (minimum amount needed is 4 gallons) and your good to go. The fumoto valves is a really good idea to keep from getting burnt as well as being able to use a hose to drain into a bucket or container of sorts.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's just doing the coolant flush for the time being

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I would do before the flush to MAYBE prevent the oil cooler from clogging... But its a long shot so just get it on their ASAP!

Remember what I said about the oil cooler... after the flush WATCH YOUR deltas like a hawk... most likely they will skyrocket and that is because some large peice of crap lodged your cooler. DO NOT drive it or it will flash boil/ rupture your EGR cooler and leak coolant into your cylinders and lift your heads!!!!

Not to scare you or anything :lol:
But I am totally serious though:thumb:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would do before the flush to MAYBE prevent the oil cooler from clogging... But its a long shot so just get it on their ASAP!

Remember what I said about the oil cooler... after the flush WATCH YOUR deltas like a hawk... most likely they will skyrocket and that is because some large peice of crap lodged your cooler. DO NOT drive it or it will flash boil/ rupture your EGR cooler and leak coolant into your cylinders and lift your heads!!!!

Not to scare you or anything :lol:
But I am totally serious though:thumb:
That sounds pretty scary but I guess we'll see

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Did any of you look at the pic of his degass bottle? It surely does look like oil residue in there and floating in the coolant. Based on that I'm going to say his oil cooler is already ruptured most likely. You are looking at a whole lot more to fix that than a coolant flush. What's your oil look like, and what is your EOT/ECT temp delta?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the most difference in deltas I saw

As for that crap in the degas bottle, a while ago I put tap water in the degas bottle because I was a little low and I think that may be algae:doh:
Im gonna go ahead and hook up a coolant filter, run it for a few weeks, then try to flush and hope for the best

1 - 20 of 28 Posts