Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Cause we know it's can't be a negative number.....I'm betting the first sheet was the better one to use.

Did the dealership do any work to make an adjustment or was it just a reading??

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Supposedly, they did replace the caster bushings. Part 5C3Z-3B440-EEE is listed on the work order. They definitely adjusted something because it steers much better. Maybe a toe and go, but the steering is so much heavier now.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Maybe that was the same damn part I had before. I cant find degree specs on those bushings.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Well I can't say anymore about it myself. Looking at all the info I've found, reading all the info here, the first sheet seems more "correct". Either way there still seems to be a VERY small amount of caster.

I'd bet the part # is a general part number, they pick from an assortment of degree bushings what they need to get it right.

There's NO way in hell the devices/machines used to give the report are showing anything other than the exact measurement, and the spec range that that measurement should fall into. There's no conversion, no weird math, no guessing what is what. It's showing the spec range, and where you fall in that range (left or right of center value). Green is in range, red out of range. Then the value shown in the middle IS the measurement amount.

Did you tell them about the lift causing them to use the "Modified Specification"??

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I did tell them I was bringing it in for a post-lift alignment. Specifically mentioned the caster, axle centering and the fact it had an adjustable track bar. It is on the ticket. So maybe that is the range Ford is happy with.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
I doubt Ford would give any sort of specs for a lift kit. WAY too many variables. If someone can get the alignment info from Ford in an email or other document, showing different lifts or whatever, post it here then I'll believe it.

No matter what, I've always been told Caster needs to be close to 3* for these trucks.

As before we "know" there's no way to have negative Caster on these trucks......that's my hang up. Cause WHY would Ford give you a negative value to use if it's NOT possible?????

My most in-depth conversation shared that using bushings is not the best way to correct for high degree changes. Dropping the arms lower to pivot the axle is a better method. Or using adjustable arms....or a combination of both.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Oh. I completely agree there. HTH would you get a negative without having the spring look like a bow?
Anyway, I think for now I am gonnna leave it be. Once I get some towing miles on it this month I will reevaluate. If it is unstable towing I'll tackle it again. Even if it is stable I will probably get the Carli bushings for 2.5 level and drop them in later in the fall.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I doubt Ford would give any sort of specs for a lift kit. WAY too many variables. If someone can get the alignment info from Ford in an email or other document, showing different lifts or whatever, post it here then I'll believe it.

No matter what, I've always been told Caster needs to be close to 3* for these trucks.

As before we "know" there's no way to have negative Caster on these trucks......that's my hang up. Cause WHY would Ford give you a negative value to use if it's NOT possible?????

My most in-depth conversation shared that using bushings is not the best way to correct for high degree changes. Dropping the arms lower to pivot the axle is a better method. Or using adjustable arms....or a combination of both.
Yes they will, plow preps have different specs than factory. They also measure ground height, bottom of the ground to the wheel well.
Negative caster is impossible, but to bring it back to a - number from too far of a + number is possible, that is all this is showing him.

That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Lol. So they dropped new bushings in that didn't do me any good.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Negative caster is impossible, but to bring it back to a - number from too far of a + number is possible, that is all this is showing him.
WTF???????

The value shown in the middle of the bar IS the measurement taken. It's NOT a measurement of how far off the center value the reading is.

The machine isn't telling them WHAT correction to apply, it's telling them the actual measurement.

·
Registered
959 Posts
WTF???????

The value shown in the middle of the bar IS the measurement taken. It's NOT a measurement of how far off the center value the reading is.

The machine isn't telling them WHAT correction to apply, it's telling them the actual measurement.
You read that wrong and you’re getting confused. It’s ok, it happens to the best of them. He’s at 1.5* of caster. It brought it back from what it was. Which is taking away from a number which is subtraction the middle number on his last page is 2 Plus -5 = 1.5

You just have to know how to read it that’s all buddy.

It’s not telling him he’s at .5 it’s telling him he’s .5* away from perfect which is 2*

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Per the second sheet the 3* to a -1.0* spec range has a "middle measurement" of 1*....the report says the measurement is -0.5*.......If that is wrong please explain.....

·
Registered
959 Posts
Per the second sheet the 3* to a -1.0* spec range has a "middle measurement" of 1*....the report says the measurement is -0.5*.......If that is wrong please explain.....
3 to -1 is a 4 degree difference,
4/2 = 2 middle is 2 it’s -0.5 from spec middle that’s

3-2-1-0–1 count the lines in between.

It’s -0.5 from being centre the measurement is therefor 1.5 because it’s -5 off from 2..

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
3* to 2* would be 1* of change. 2* to 1* would be 1* of change. 1+1 =2* of total change
Then -1.0* to 0* would be 1* of change. 0* to 1* would be 1* of change. 1+1=2....There's your total 4* range of change ...

BUT you are forgetting the indicated value to be in the middle will be a reading of 1. NOT 2..........Yes you "move" two values towards the middle....but the middle value will read 1*. Cause then to move to -1.0* you have to move 2* of change......

·
Registered
959 Posts
3* to 2* would be 1* of change. 2* to 1* would be 1* of change. 1+1 =2* of total change
Then -1.0* to 0* would be 1* of change. 0* to 1* would be 1* of change. 1+1=2....There's your total 4* range of change ...

BUT you are forgetting the indicated value to be in the middle will be a reading of 1. NOT 2..........Yes you "move" two values towards the middle....but the middle value will read 1*. Cause then to move to -1.0* you have to move 2* of change......
Suit yourself, but the middle is 2 not 1 I’m not arguing with you I do it for a living. But good luck with your theory of exactly what I just said.
Minus your bottom comment that’s inaccurate.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
OMG...You mean to say there's only 4 values in a range of 3* to -1.0*????

No there's 5 values in the range +3 to -1.0*.......YES....with 4* of possible change.
You even gave it in your example :
3-2-1-0–1 count the lines in between.
3* is a value, 2* is a value, 1* is a value, 0* is a value, -1.* is a value.....THAT'S 5 total values that can be displayed.

The machine is reading the VALUE...NOT the amount of degrees need to be changed. I posted several other points to show that's what is being represented on the report. You haven't given ANY other outside info but your own opinion.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OMG...You mean to say there's only 4 values in a range of 3* to -1.0*????

No there's 5 values in the range +3 to -1.0*.......YES....with 4* of possible change.
You even gave it in your example : 3* is a value, 2* is a value, 1* is a value, 0* is a value, -1.* is a value.....THAT'S 5 total values that can be displayed.

The machine is reading the VALUE...NOT the amount of degrees need to be changed. I posted several other points to show that's what is being represented on the report. You haven't given ANY other outside info but your own opinion.
3-2 is 1 degree 2-1 is 1 degree 1-0 is 1 degree and 0 to -1 is 1 degree
5 values 4 degree sweep

And no you just google a lot lol I actually do it.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
I doubt it....you haven't posted anything but opinion. Thanks but even the people that make the machine that print the report say you are wrong.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I doubt it....you haven't posted anything but opinion. Thanks but even the people that make the machine that print the report say you are wrong.
Yeah that’s what YOU think...google some more maybe try reading a book ”Yawn” opinions.
Good luck my friend. Cheers and unsubscribed.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts