Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4052 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, not violent at all. You hit a bump and as the suspension compressed the steering wheel just turns to the right and as the suspension de compressed or goes back to ride height the steering wheel goes back straight. The truck doesn’t pull either direction as it does this

·
Registered
729 Posts
No, not violent at all. You hit a bump and as the suspension compressed the steering wheel just turns to the right and as the suspension de compressed or goes back to ride height the steering wheel goes back straight. The truck doesn’t pull either direction as it does this
Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just replaced the lift on my 2015 f350 cclb that was on it when I bought the truck. I installed 4.5” lift Carli coils, radius arm drops, full rear leafs, PMF drag link, PMF track bar, xrf tierod ends and drag link ends, removed the drop pitman and drop track bar bracket and replaced with stock and Carli high mount stabilizer.

my question is now that I installed all this when I hit a bump the steering wheel turns to the right then goes back to center. The bigger the bump the more it turns. I called Cjc and was told that’s normal????? Didn’t do that with the previous lift. But maybe it’s the steeper angle of the track bar and draglink but I would think that it shouldn’t do that. It doesn’t seem to pull one way or the partner when it does this.
I would give PMF a call

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am still dealing with the poor performance on the Carli Backcountry kit. The rear end performance is horrible. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with either the springs or the shocks. All part numbers have been verified correct by Carli. The rebound is just horrible. I hit a bump and the rear just bounces two or three times. I have tried three different tire wheel setups and no help. Not sure what to do at this point. I hear so many great reviews about how the Deavers are game changers but I am not feeling that way. I am going to borrow a go-pro and see if I can tell what is going on.

I have the same issue with the deavers. I cant feel any difference from the add a pack to the deavers. Honestly I dont see a whole lot of difference from stock to the carli system.

·
Registered
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 - Carli 2.5" Backcountry
45 Posts
I have the same issue with the deavers. I cant feel any difference from the add a pack to the deavers. Honestly I dont see a whole lot of difference from stock to the carli system.
Disappointing after spending that much money isn’t it. Like BLMS above I have tried several different tire and wheel combinations. BLMS is suppose to be testing a new set of shocks from Accutune. I hope they work. I wish I lived close to Carli or CJC so I could let them ride in the truck.

Do your Deavers squeak like crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Disappointing after spending that much money isn’t it. Like BLMS above I have tried several different tire and wheel combinations. BLMS is suppose to be testing a new set of shocks from Accutune. I hope they work. I wish I lived close to Carli or CJC so I could let them ride in the truck.

Absolutely disappointing. If the suspension system is that much better than stock you should not need new wheels and tires to make it ride better. You should be able to compare the stock suspension to the carli system on the same set of wheels and tires and see a significant difference.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Absolutely disappointing. If the suspension system is that much better than stock you should not need new wheels and tires to make it ride better. You should be able to compare the stock suspension to the carli system on the same set of wheels and tires and see a significant difference.
You could have just lowered the pressure of your stock tires with the stock lift. If you are only driving on the street (not sure what Carli kit you have) but I think it would be hard to notice the difference IMO, the suspension shines off road and is amazing. Never going to make a work truck ride like a caddy with the stock configuration.

·
Vendor
2,932 Posts
Wheels and tires play a huge role in the small bump compliance, that's all. The significant difference in ride on factory wheels and tires will be in the handling of the truck. Should handle like it's on rails, be extremely planted and off-road will see a huge improvement. Small road imperfections will likely be very similar to stock. Adding a larger tire at the proper pressure will make the small bump compliance better than stock while the suspension backs up this combo with the improvements in all other areas.

I am still dealing with the poor performance on the Carli Backcountry kit. The rear end performance is horrible. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with either the springs or the shocks. All part numbers have been verified correct by Carli. The rebound is just horrible. I hit a bump and the rear just bounces two or three times. I have tried three different tire wheel setups and no help. Not sure what to do at this point. I hear so many great reviews about how the Deavers are game changers but I am not feeling that way. I am going to borrow a go-pro and see if I can tell what is going on.
Had a conversation with another member with the same problem and we think the shock valving is too aggressive for those that spend a majority of the time on the pavement with a Backcountry. I am going to call the guys at Accutune to see if they can help. And my Deavers squeak like hell.
The shock valving in the full-leaf Backcountry is quite a bit more aggressive than the add-a-pack on the compression end. The Foxes are tough - if you lighten the compression too much relative to the spring rate, you get a shake. If you feel like the rear end is bouncing after the hit, there may be something up with the rebound stack as it's pretty heavy to control the rate; there should be NO bounce. We've yet to see one with incorrect valving but nothing is impossible.

As for the Deavers being squeaky, 99% chance the bushings and crush sleeves are dry. Drop them and coat them with a heavy, synthetic chassis grease and you should be back to silent operation.

Take my comments and opinions as they are, opinions;

I drank the Carli Kool-Aid and went full Deaver packs, Backcountry shocks, 2.5" front coils, trackbar, Carli SS, etc....and noticed horrible ride quality after lift install. I reached out to Carli and CJC Off-Road and went through their troubleshooting steps to attempt to eliminate the rear end hop and jarring ride that was caused by install of the Backcountry lift.

I spent hours on the phone w/ CJC and Carli over the course of 5 months.
I installed four different types of tires and different wheel sizes. 17", 18", 20". 35"-37" flavors from R/T's to A/T's to Michelin LTX's. All w/ proper "Carli" recommended tire pressures.

No change in ride quality was made to eliminate the harshness or rear end hop.
I have most recently been playing around with shock valving and have found Carli's Fox valving to be insufficient to the SuperDuty platform.
Carli does not own the Fox tool to perform in-house tuning on Fox shocks. They order their shocks as per their spec's from Fox direct.
Additionally, I have a Fox Service Center in my back door (Asheville, NC) and have taken my Backcountry shocks to Fox for verification of correct tune. Fox Factory Service Center stated the tuning performed on the Backcountry shocks would not play nice w/ a SuperDuty platform and they offered to re-tune to meet needs of our trucks.
I'll report back once I re-install them.

If I was to do this all over. I would purchase shocks from Accu-tune and have a conversation w/ their tech's about the specific use of your truck (I .e. daily driver, baja truck, heavy hauls, etc...) and let Accu-tune dial in Fox or King shocks for your application.
As for lift options, I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of options availabe at much better quality, price, and customer support.

Last, my experience with CJC Off-Road and Carli Suspension was poor. They market themselves well, put up solid YouTube video's, IG pictures, etc. and I'm sure this equipment does well on the Ram's---but not SuperDutys. I get teh feeling both companies realize this, thus the poor customer support.

Hard last.....If Fox Service tuning doesn't turn out, I will be removing all Carli equipment and shipping back to Carli.
Huge bummer here. Who have you worked with at Carli?? Sounds like you went through everything but we absolutely do have all tools to revalve the Foxes in-house. We tune the shocks in house during the R&D Process - not that this is your point of contention but worth noting.

I'm not sure how Fox can determine a valve stack to be sufficient or not for a platform - there's plenty of criticism of the tunes in their factory shocks they offer for OEM applications. That said, there's plenty of feedback within this thread on one kit in particular - the Backcountry and Full leaf Springs. You guys have it so it's obvious we developed and signed off on it but perhaps we had too much of an off-road focus...? We'll bring a truck in to revisit the tuning - of course, the resulting tuning profile will be available to all those unhappy with the performance of their systems free of charge.

Feel free to give me a call directly to discuss: 951-208-7487 - Dan

I have the 2.5 level on my 17 F250 with the add-a-packs in the rear and I get a knocking/metal-metal sound in the rear when I go over small bumps at low speeds (<10mph), like pulling in or backing out of a driveway or a speed bump. You can also hear it if you rock the truck bed back and forth pretty good. Does anyone else experience this sound with the add-a-packs??

And yes I have checked torque on U-bolts and shocks. I might see if I can tighten up the center pin...
If you remove the bottom shock bolts, do the shocks extend on their own? Have someone rock the truck and put your hands on the shock bodies, leaf springs, etc. You'll be able to feel it - this should help you narrow it down.

I just replaced the lift on my 2015 f350 cclb that was on it when I bought the truck. I installed 4.5” lift Carli coils, radius arm drops, full rear leafs, PMF drag link, PMF track bar, xrf tierod ends and drag link ends, removed the drop pitman and drop track bar bracket and replaced with stock and Carli high mount stabilizer.

my question is now that I installed all this when I hit a bump the steering wheel turns to the right then goes back to center. The bigger the bump the more it turns. I called Cjc and was told that’s normal????? Didn’t do that with the previous lift. But maybe it’s the steeper angle of the track bar and draglink but I would think that it shouldn’t do that. It doesn’t seem to pull one way or the partner when it does this.
Steeper angles on the track bar and drag link will absolutely cause more steering wheel feedback but nothing excessive. High tire pressure causes a certain volatility that makes this REALLY bad as will a blown out steering stabilizer. Ensure the tire pressures are in check and that steering stabilizer is up to snuff for the tire size you're running and the wheel feedback should be minimized.

Are you running the Backcountry System as well??

Agreed 100% and sorry to hear this has been the feedback on this system. We would be happy to revisit it as mentioned before to see what the heck is happening here. You all bought Carli for a reason, this obviously does not reflect the reputation. I want to get another truck in here to see what can be done to rectify these complaints!

·
Registered
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 - Carli 2.5" Backcountry
45 Posts
Wheels and tires play a huge role in the small bump compliance, that's all. The significant difference in ride on factory wheels and tires will be in the handling of the truck. Should handle like it's on rails, be extremely planted and off-road will see a huge improvement. Small road imperfections will likely be very similar to stock. Adding a larger tire at the proper pressure will make the small bump compliance better than stock while the suspension backs up this combo with the improvements in all other areas.

The shock valving in the full-leaf Backcountry is quite a bit more aggressive than the add-a-pack on the compression end. The Foxes are tough - if you lighten the compression too much relative to the spring rate, you get a shake. If you feel like the rear end is bouncing after the hit, there may be something up with the rebound stack as it's pretty heavy to control the rate; there should be NO bounce. We've yet to see one with incorrect valving but nothing is impossible.

As for the Deavers being squeaky, 99% chance the bushings and crush sleeves are dry. Drop them and coat them with a heavy, synthetic chassis grease and you should be back to silent operation.

Huge bummer here. Who have you worked with at Carli?? Sounds like you went through everything but we absolutely do have all tools to revalve the Foxes in-house. We tune the shocks in house during the R&D Process - not that this is your point of contention but worth noting.

I'm not sure how Fox can determine a valve stack to be sufficient or not for a platform - there's plenty of criticism of the tunes in their factory shocks they offer for OEM applications. That said, there's plenty of feedback within this thread on one kit in particular - the Backcountry and Full leaf Springs. You guys have it so it's obvious we developed and signed off on it but perhaps we had too much of an off-road focus...? We'll bring a truck in to revisit the tuning - of course, the resulting tuning profile will be available to all those unhappy with the performance of their systems free of charge.

Feel free to give me a call directly to discuss: 951-208-7487 - Dan

If you remove the bottom shock bolts, do the shocks extend on their own? Have someone rock the truck and put your hands on the shock bodies, leaf springs, etc. You'll be able to feel it - this should help you narrow it down.

Steeper angles on the track bar and drag link will absolutely cause more steering wheel feedback but nothing excessive. High tire pressure causes a certain volatility that makes this REALLY bad as will a blown out steering stabilizer. Ensure the tire pressures are in check and that steering stabilizer is up to snuff for the tire size you're running and the wheel feedback should be minimized.

Are you running the Backcountry System as well??

Agreed 100% and sorry to hear this has been the feedback on this system. We would be happy to revisit it as mentioned before to see what the heck is happening here. You all bought Carli for a reason, this obviously does not reflect the reputation. I want to get another truck in here to see what can be done to rectify these complaints!
My biggest issue is when the truck bounces after a bump in the road. You can feel it do it at low speeds too. I ran the stock leafs, 4” block and backcountry shocks and it still had the same bouncing issue but not near as bad. I am back to Deavers now and the bounce is worse. I hope to get a GoPro underneath this weekend to film to see if it is the shocks. To me it seems like the shocks can’t keep up with the springs on sharp impacts. Always wondered if the shocks were valved wrong from Fox. Also lowering the tire pressure seems to make it worse.

·
Vendor
2,932 Posts
My biggest issue is when the truck bounces after a bump in the road. You can feel it do it at low speeds too. I ran the stock leafs, 4” block and backcountry shocks and it still had the same bouncing issue but not near as bad. I am back to Deavers now and the bounce is worse. I hope to get a GoPro underneath this weekend to film to see if it is the shocks. To me it seems like the shocks can’t keep up with the springs on sharp impacts. Always wondered if the shocks were valved wrong from Fox. Also lowering the tire pressure seems to make it worse.
Happy to take a look if you'd like to send them in! DM me...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take my comments and opinions as they are, opinions;

I drank the Carli Kool-Aid and went full Deaver packs, Backcountry shocks, 2.5" front coils, trackbar, Carli SS, etc....and noticed horrible ride quality after lift install. I reached out to Carli and CJC Off-Road and went through their troubleshooting steps to attempt to eliminate the rear end hop and jarring ride that was caused by install of the Backcountry lift.

I spent hours on the phone w/ CJC and Carli over the course of 5 months.
I installed four different types of tires and different wheel sizes. 17", 18", 20". 35"-37" flavors from R/T's to A/T's to Michelin LTX's. All w/ proper "Carli" recommended tire pressures.

No change in ride quality was made to eliminate the harshness or rear end hop.
I have most recently been playing around with shock valving and have found Carli's Fox valving to be insufficient to the SuperDuty platform.
Carli does not own the Fox tool to perform in-house tuning on Fox shocks. They order their shocks as per their spec's from Fox direct.
Additionally, I have a Fox Service Center in my back door (Asheville, NC) and have taken my Backcountry shocks to Fox for verification of correct tune. Fox Factory Service Center stated the tuning performed on the Backcountry shocks would not play nice w/ a SuperDuty platform and they offered to re-tune to meet needs of our trucks.
I'll report back once I re-install them.

If I was to do this all over. I would purchase shocks from Accu-tune and have a conversation w/ their tech's about the specific use of your truck (I .e. daily driver, baja truck, heavy hauls, etc...) and let Accu-tune dial in Fox or King shocks for your application.
As for lift options, I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of options availabe at much better quality, price, and customer support.

Last, my experience with CJC Off-Road and Carli Suspension was poor. They market themselves well, put up solid YouTube video's, IG pictures, etc. and I'm sure this equipment does well on the Ram's---but not SuperDutys. I get teh feeling both companies realize this, thus the poor customer support.

Hard last.....If Fox Service tuning doesn't turn out, I will be removing all Carli equipment and shipping back to Carli.

Excuse any grammatical errors--typing from iphone.
How did the Accu-Tune Shocks work out?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I installed a Back Country leveling kit on 2017 250. Everything went well, except I have a question about the rear shocks. The way they fit seems to be upside down. The reservoirs are bolted to axle. I could not get them to go the other way. To me they look upside down. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
So I installed a Back Country leveling kit on 2017 250. Everything went well, except I have a question about the rear shocks. The way they fit seems to be upside down. The reservoirs are bolted to axle. I could not get them to go the other way. To me they look upside down. Any help would be appreciated.

shocks should be installed body up/shaft down with the reservoirs clamped to the shock body.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Perfect! That’s what I figured. Just want to make sure, because they look super goofy the other way!

have you looked at the install instructions? There are a couple important steps like changing the crush sleeves for your year model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
have you looked at the install instructions? There are a couple important steps like changing the crush sleeves for your year model.
I did. The instructions said nothing about sleeves, read them twice just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. My shocks came with no sleeves. Just the shock and the mount to hold the other reservoir. I was just gonna right to this forum and ask about sleeves.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I did. The instructions said nothing about sleeves, read them twice just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. My shocks came with no sleeves. Just the shock and the mount to hold the other reservoir. I was just gonna right to this forum and ask about sleeves.

It’s definitely there. Look at the last page, there are even pictures.

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMG_0013.jpg

Those were the instruction that came with the rear shocks and the front for that matter.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
View attachment 771233
Those were the instruction that came with the rear shocks and the front for that matter.

You should be looking at the Carli pages that came with the backcountry system. If you don’t have them, I posted a link to them above for you.

I would not install the reservoirs inboard like fox shows.

4021 - 4040 of 4052 Posts