Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4052 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it is the frame flexing to be honest. I have noticed when my rebounds that my bed is shaking pretty good to. I have been in some concrete roads that I had to just slow down to make it stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say we are experiencing similar symptoms.

I've dropped tire pressures down to 30psi in rear, unloaded with no change to ride quality. This is as per Carli's suggestion.
CJC stated I need to change to 17" wheel to see maximum benefit to Carli system.

W/ Ford interest rates dropping to 0% for 84 months, I may take advantage of free money.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just received my 4.5 back country lift for my 17 with full rear leafs. Everything has detailed individual instructions for install but curious as to what order I should install these in to make my life as easy as possible.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I just received my 4.5 back country lift for my 17 with full rear leafs. Everything has detailed individual instructions for install but curious as to what order I should install these in to make my life as easy as possible.
swap the leaves in the rear first. Most of your energy will be spent there, and if you don’t knock the whole system out in one day you’ll just sit a little high in the rear.

Front is pretty easy. Jack up the front, support the frame, pull the wheels, pull shocks and sway bar, droop the axle and start swapping in parts. I do the track bar last when the truck is sitting on its own weight, have a buddy turn the steering wheel to help line it up while you get the bolts in.

·
Registered
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 - Carli 2.5" Backcountry
45 Posts
I am still dealing with the poor performance on the Carli Backcountry kit. The rear end performance is horrible. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with either the springs or the shocks. All part numbers have been verified correct by Carli. The rebound is just horrible. I hit a bump and the rear just bounces two or three times. I have tried three different tire wheel setups and no help. Not sure what to do at this point. I hear so many great reviews about how the Deavers are game changers but I am not feeling that way. I am going to borrow a go-pro and see if I can tell what is going on.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I am still dealing with the poor performance on the Carli Backcountry kit. The rear end performance is horrible. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with either the springs or the shocks. All part numbers have been verified correct by Carli. The rebound is just horrible. I hit a bump and the rear just bounces two or three times. I have tried three different tire wheel setups and no help. Not sure what to do at this point. I hear so many great reviews about how the Deavers are game changers but I am not feeling that way. I am going to borrow a go-pro and see if I can tell what is going on.
Do you know the weights on your front and rear axles? I think longtravel leaf springs are an issue for many. I think for some the spring rate is lacking. And in that same vein, the shocks have trouble with the weight as well (valving isn't right).

I don't know what the correct weight range is, but asking others this question (axle weights) may give you some insight as to what is going on.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I think Carli has a lot of “fanboys.” I’m not impressed with my Back Country setup either, especially, the cosmetics. My kit looks like it’s been on a truck for 10 years with the amount of rust on the coils, leafs, and radius arms and I just drive on the highway. It was installed late November of 2018. Carli will not be part of any of my future truck builds. Not that they’d care.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I initially bought the Backcountry running Bilstein 5100's, then upgraded shock to the pintops. Difference in ride quality was unbelievable just on the street.

The King bodies do not age well though. They look rough and I hardly see salt

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a conversation with another member with the same problem and we think the shock valving is too aggressive for those that spend a majority of the time on the pavement with a Backcountry. I am going to call the guys at Accutune to see if they can help. And my Deavers squeak like hell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did some testing this weekend. Put my old Bilsteins back on and the bouncing was a little better but not great. Decided to take shocks off and drive. The excessive bouncing is definitely coming from the springs. So my assumption is the shocks aren’t keeping up. I still wonder if I got the correct springs and shocks but Carli has verified everything. Frustrating after you spend this much money. The Carli setup may be great out west but not great for normal driving on rough roads. The Deavers do not like bumps or expansion joints.

At this point may just remove the springs and go back to stock with a setup from PMF or OUO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you know the weights on your front and rear axles? I think longtravel leaf springs are an issue for many. I think for some the spring rate is lacking. And in that same vein, the shocks have trouble with the weight as well (valving isn't right).

I don't know what the correct weight range is, but asking others this question (axle weights) may give you some insight as to what is going on.
I find it hard to believe more people haven't complained about this issue on the Back country kit with full leafs on 11-16 model trucks. The ride is horrible on the street.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Google “Superduty Hop” and see if the symptoms line up with what you’re feeling. This was the issue on my 09 with stock suspension and with the add-a-pack. There is a harmonic dampener that mounts to the side of your hitch receiver that many have found to work.

Reactions: Skyd Ram

·
Registered
327 Posts
I find it hard to believe more people haven't complained about this issue on the Back country kit with full leafs on 11-16 model trucks. The ride is horrible on the street.
Have you found a solution yet? Im ready to order a Back country kit any day

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went back to stock springs with a 4” PMF block and backcountry shocks on the rear. The jarring ride is 95% gone and no more squeaks. The full leaf valved shocks do surprisingly well with stock springs.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I'[m not sure what this posters actually truck problem might be but I can tell you that I have a lot of happy customers running Backcountry sytems and full leafs on these trucks. I've been running the full Deaver leafs on my 11 for over 6 years and on my 17 for over 2 years and both trucks ride great. I've had a lot of customers in these trucks and everyone has been impressed. Wheel/Tire/PSI combos play a big role in the final ride situation and some of the pre 17 trucks just have a frame bounce that is really hard to eliminate. Here is a link to a huge thread detailing the struggles: My Theory on the "Superduty Hop" and Possible fix.

Also,
Depending on what options you want I have some 05-16 2.5" Backcountry systems in stock at the moment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take my comments and opinions as they are, opinions;

I drank the Carli Kool-Aid and went full Deaver packs, Backcountry shocks, 2.5" front coils, trackbar, Carli SS, etc....and noticed horrible ride quality after lift install. I reached out to Carli and CJC Off-Road and went through their troubleshooting steps to attempt to eliminate the rear end hop and jarring ride that was caused by install of the Backcountry lift.

I spent hours on the phone w/ CJC and Carli over the course of 5 months.
I installed four different types of tires and different wheel sizes. 17", 18", 20". 35"-37" flavors from R/T's to A/T's to Michelin LTX's. All w/ proper "Carli" recommended tire pressures.

No change in ride quality was made to eliminate the harshness or rear end hop.
I have most recently been playing around with shock valving and have found Carli's Fox valving to be insufficient to the SuperDuty platform.
Carli does not own the Fox tool to perform in-house tuning on Fox shocks. They order their shocks as per their spec's from Fox direct.
Additionally, I have a Fox Service Center in my back door (Asheville, NC) and have taken my Backcountry shocks to Fox for verification of correct tune. Fox Factory Service Center stated the tuning performed on the Backcountry shocks would not play nice w/ a SuperDuty platform and they offered to re-tune to meet needs of our trucks.
I'll report back once I re-install them.

If I was to do this all over. I would purchase shocks from Accu-tune and have a conversation w/ their tech's about the specific use of your truck (I .e. daily driver, baja truck, heavy hauls, etc...) and let Accu-tune dial in Fox or King shocks for your application.
As for lift options, I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of options availabe at much better quality, price, and customer support.

Last, my experience with CJC Off-Road and Carli Suspension was poor. They market themselves well, put up solid YouTube video's, IG pictures, etc. and I'm sure this equipment does well on the Ram's---but not SuperDutys. I get teh feeling both companies realize this, thus the poor customer support.

Hard last.....If Fox Service tuning doesn't turn out, I will be removing all Carli equipment and shipping back to Carli.

Excuse any grammatical errors--typing from iphone.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks, I hope the shocks work out!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 2.5 level on my 17 F250 with the add-a-packs in the rear and I get a knocking/metal-metal sound in the rear when I go over small bumps at low speeds (<10mph), like pulling in or backing out of a driveway or a speed bump. You can also hear it if you rock the truck bed back and forth pretty good. Does anyone else experience this sound with the add-a-packs??

And yes I have checked torque on U-bolts and shocks. I might see if I can tighten up the center pin...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced the lift on my 2015 f350 cclb that was on it when I bought the truck. I installed 4.5” lift Carli coils, radius arm drops, full rear leafs, PMF drag link, PMF track bar, xrf tierod ends and drag link ends, removed the drop pitman and drop track bar bracket and replaced with stock and Carli high mount stabilizer.

my question is now that I installed all this when I hit a bump the steering wheel turns to the right then goes back to center. The bigger the bump the more it turns. I called Cjc and was told that’s normal????? Didn’t do that with the previous lift. But maybe it’s the steeper angle of the track bar and draglink but I would think that it shouldn’t do that. It doesn’t seem to pull one way or the partner when it does this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just replaced the lift on my 2015 f350 cclb that was on it when I bought the truck. I installed 4.5” lift Carli coils, radius arm drops, full rear leafs, PMF drag link, PMF track bar, xrf tierod ends and drag link ends, removed the drop pitman and drop track bar bracket and replaced with stock and Carli high mount stabilizer.

my question is now that I installed all this when I hit a bump the steering wheel turns to the right then goes back to center. The bigger the bump the more it turns. I called Cjc and was told that’s normal????? Didn’t do that with the previous lift. But maybe it’s the steeper angle of the track bar and draglink but I would think that it shouldn’t do that. It doesn’t seem to pull one way or the partner when it does this.
Are you talking about violent bump steer or what?

4001 - 4020 of 4052 Posts