Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am currently seeking opinions
My truck serves as a DD sometimes a couple hundred miles a day, mainly only that high in the summer. I tow in the neighborhood of 8-12000 maybe on average a couple hundred miles a month, not a ton. At least 60% of miles driven is city, and when on the interstate we are looking at 75-80mph.

-I was looking to get a very nice ride on the road, and really smooth out the mountain roads of colorado (dirt hardpack washboard, and with rocks and potholes) which brought me to looking at the carli performance system or the pintop and just new tires, but is 35's too small for the 4.5" that the carli system gives the truck

-But then I got to thinking I sort of NEED new tires which brought me to thinking about different wheels and tires, maybe new 20's or maybe 22's I like my xd hoss 20's with 35 duratracs, but they are getting worn. I was also thinking about going with 37's but then I feel as though I may need to regear to 430 or so, what do you think about the necessity of regearing, I mainly just don't want to wear on my tranny anymore than the 35's already do

-So maybe a compromise, what about regear, basic lift with 37's, and nice shocks, in which case what components would you go with

-And probably the most practical route, new 22's and 35's (is that too much wheel?) some REAL nice shocks (mainly just want a great riding rig, road and off road) maybe some traction bars, and things like that?

Is the carli system THAT much better than just shocks, (i.e. is the extra 2-2500 worth it?

just looking for opinions, can't afford to do carli, regear, new 37's and 22'.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the carli systems are superior because of custom valving and new springs, but if there are some shock options out there that ride 90% as good and only need to buy $1000 worth of shocks that would really save a lot of money to do other things

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think 35's would be to small on a 4.5" lift. 37's would be best. 35's on 22's I feel dont leave enough sidewall on the tire for my liking, especially if you are going to be out pounding the mountain roads. You might run the risk of dinging up your rims with that little of a sidewall. The carli systems are VERY nice. They ride great, but I feel that you could get into an equally good riding suspension for a little less. If you want to stay in the 4.5" lift area, I would give trevor a call at PMF or call Top gun customz. They will get you a ncie riding system for less than the carli. If you are willing to stick to a 2.5" system with 35's then I would do Icon for the best ride.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Honestly if you looking to smooth your ride out then stay away from the 22s. I was running 22/35 and I could feel every crevice in the road. Im now running 22/37 which is a huge improvement and smooth now. But if you're going to be offroad alot and looking for a smooth ride 20/37 or even 18/37 to really smooth things out.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
A 4.5" lift with 35's looks good, though some feel they tires look a little small. It is all personal preference, really. We just did a 2009 truck (pictured below) that has the Carli 4.5" Performance 2.0 kit with 35's. 37's would have plenty of room, it all depends on the look you are going for. As far as 22" wheels, I wouldnt go with a tire smaller than 37". 22's on 35's is not going to help your ride out at all.

As far as other lifts go, I would shy away from most as they are not specifically engineered for these trucks. Carli does extensive R&D on their parts before they ever release them to the public. The shocks are custom valved for the ride/control that they desire. If you wanted another option, ICON is another top tier company that has very nice suspension kits.

Let us know if theres anything we can help with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so my problem is I feel that a 4.5" lift would really need 37's to look ideal in my mind, but I don't really want to regear and all that. currently I have a leveling kit with 35's and like the fuller wheel well look. I don't think its too necessary to buy an actual 2" suspension system to basically put me right back to where I already am height wise. so maybe just some nice shocks for all 4 corners, maybe some dual rate springs (any suggestions), and new tires is all I really need.

that would leave some money left over for a replacement bumper and things of that sort, which I have been wanting for the better part of a year now but just never seems to actually go buy one.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Money left over for a full replacement bumper is always a good thing!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Only you can decide if it's worth the extra money. That in mind, the pricing of our systems is on par with other manufacturers offering lesser systems. If our price isn't on par, you're probably comparing apples to oranges as far as shock packages are concerned.

Most lifts ride "almost as nice as stock" while Carli lifts will outperform stock trucks in every situation, both on and off road. For what you're doing, I would put you into a back-country system and tell you to go with 17"-18" wheel with a Toyo 37" e rated tire.

The things you're referencing (traction bars, 20", 22", etc..) all have a negative effect on ride quality. If a smooth ride is what you're really after, everything on the truck needs to be working toward that common goal. The Back Country system will more than suit your needs and will allow you to continue to haul the stock capacity of your truck. As for the 4.5" needing 37" tires, we run 37"s and feel they're the best tire on that lift. We're also offering a 2.5" leveling kit as it's been prototyped with great success.

Check it out:

Front:

Back:

Add-a-Pack and King 2.5 Piggy Back:

King 2.5 and Coil:

Adjustable Track Bar:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured as much with regards to 22's, trac bars I was unaware of ride effect, so thanks.

I would be interested in looking at a carli leveling kit, didn't see it on website so if you have any info that would be great.

any suggestion on good shocks for the money, don't really care for the 5100's, had em before and they rode better than the old worn out ones, but beyond that it was nothing spectacular. don't have a problem spending in the neighborhood of a grand if thats all I am buying other than some misc other goodies

·
Vendor
2,357 Posts
Like Dan (OCVeloman) said, if you are looking for a big upgrade in the ride dept stay clear of 22's and even 20's. I too would recommend the Backcountry 4.5" kit or even the Pintop 2.5. A Pintop 2.5 kit with full leafs and 37's on 17's will give you the best ride possible in one of these 8000 lb beasts. To prove it, Sage Carli put out an invitation for anyone to come drive his truck and beat the piss out of it on the street and in the desert. Some guys that showed up already had kits like Icon on their trucks and they were blown away by how well the truck did. I think that they had 2 or 3 guys from that days demo drive rip the ol suspension out of their trucks and upgrade to Carli setups.

Here is a link to a review thread that was written by one of my customers. He had run some TGC 2.5" coils and few shock setups and was never satisfied until he upgraded to a Carli Pintop 2.5 kit. He is also running 35's on 20's as many guys with these kits do.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/suspension-steering/240380-11-f-350-carli-pintop-installed.html

Also,
What gears does your truck have in it now? I run 37's on my 08 F350 with 3.73's and it does great. In a perfect world I would like to have 4.10's or 4.30's but the cost would probably outweigh the benefits for me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
2.5" leveling kit?! Haven't seen on ur site either. I'm with him...how much? New options? Makes me excited...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Vendor
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wouldn't mind seeing how to go about getting a leveling kit, good shocks for improved ride and trac bars

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
wouldn't mind seeing how to go about getting a leveling kit, good shocks for improved ride and trac bars
Track Bar and traction bars are two different things; if you're after a track bar, it comes with the system. You can PM me or George (SKYD RAM) about how to acquire the system. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts