Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2004 and wanted to change the fuel filter (top of engine). The cap is not coming off. I had a 1/2'' breaker bar in there, but the cap wouldn't turn.

The square hole is starting to crack around the hole, and I'm afraid to break the whole thing off. How can I get the cap safely off to replace the filter?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,611 Posts
You shouldn't ever use the square opening on the top of the cap. Always used a socket. Lisle makes a socket that is usually available at the autoparts stores, if you don't already have one.

Since the cap has started to crack, I would replace it.

Since replacing it is wise, you can put all the force you want on the socket ... it should come off for you.

Edit ...........
24 mm socket or 15/16 inch.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
If it is stripped, there are a few threads on how to get it out. Either drill a couple of wholes, thread screws, and insert a prybar tool to rotate it, or tap with a chisel. I used option 2 for my oil cap when it was stripped. Try the correct socket size first; these are pricey parts. It looks like it will only be a couple, bucks, but it is much more.

·
Old School
255 Posts
Threads like this are one of the reasons I went with the Sinister Diesel aluminum oil and fuel filter caps. Like @bismic said, get the correct socket and yank it off. Make sure you have a replacement before you destroy the one currently installed.

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts
Get a new OEM cap (or billet), same with the oil filter, don't use aftermarket plastic caps or filters.
OEM or Racor filters only!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts