Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres my problem, i have heard horrible things about the 6.4, especially issues with MPG and the Re-gen, all i ever hear about with 6.0s is the head gaskets, i was wondering which is a better engine, im not interested in 7.3 because the only vehicles in my area that have them are ambulances or utility trucks, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you don't chip the 6.0, & if you buy an upgraded EGR you should be ok

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would take the 6.0 over the 6.4 any day. I love the potential power of the 6.4, but to me the 6.0 is more dependable. Also, less emissions garbage on the 6.0.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I say 6.4. :thumb:

(Coming from a 6.0 owner...)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would take the 6.0 over the 6.4 any day. I love the potential power of the 6.4, but to me the 6.0 is more dependable. Also, less emissions garbage on the 6.0.
6.0 is more dependable??? Did I miss something :dunno: :crazy:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It'd probably be cheaper to get a 7.3 shipped to you than a 6.0. Especially in the long run.

If i could go back to the day before i got my truck, I'd still have made the long drive out to get it rather than get a 6.0 locally.

Just a better truck IMO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it true that powerstrokes are harder to start in the cold than for example a cummins? or does that differ between the individual engines?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Get a 6.0! Great motor and seems to be starting to become more dependable than the 6.4...seen alot of problems with the 6.4s here lately....and the 7.3s...well I just think the 6.0 is better. I'd take a 6.0 over a 7.3 or 6.4.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wouldn't trade my 6.0 for anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Remember that a forum is a place most people come when they've got a problem with their truck. So you're gonna get a skewed view from just looking through the posts for each truck. Aside from the engine alone, the newer trucks ride better and have a much, much nicer interior. The 6.4 has been out long enough, and they are proving to be an excellent engine. Every generation has it's share of lemons, but the 6.0 generation had way more by far. You're not really gonna get too many unbiased views here(except for the guy that's got a 6.0 and he's voting for the 6.4).

As far as the cold weather start rumor. I've had mine in -27 degrees, unplugged and she fired right up like it was 80 degrees outside, and that was sitting outside overnight.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
is it true that powerstrokes are harder to start in the cold than for example a cummins? or does that differ between the individual engines?
That is true with the HEUI powerstrokes (7.3 and 6.0). This is because these engines use high pressure oil to fire the injectors. Oil flow in cold weather is, well slow. The new powerstrokes (6.4 and 6.7) have an entirely different injection system, that uses just high pressure fuel, and piezo electric injectors. So the new powerstrokes have systems similar to the Cummins HPCR. Oh, and my 6.4 ALWAYS starts for me in the winter, and I have started it at -20! My 6.0 would always start too, but it started MUCH harder than my 6.4.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ok heres my problem, i have heard horrible things about the 6.4, especially issues with MPG and the Re-gen, all i ever hear about with 6.0s is the head gaskets, i was wondering which is a better engine, im not interested in 7.3 because the only vehicles in my area that have them are ambulances or utility trucks, thanks for the help.
If you leave it bone stock, 6.0.

But if you plan to program it, 6.4(with DPF delete) hands down. :thumb:

·
Registered
397 Posts
i would go 6.4 dpf delete, i love my truck and the way it turned out, just take that dpf off!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
its a rumor i heard on some other forums that the powerstroke doesnt like to start when its freezing out.
My truck had that problem this winter. Even here in south Texas we got way below freezing...even had snow for the first time. Turns out it was linked to two bad batteries.....guy before me had the original batteries in from when the truck was built....9 years ago :doh:. Two fresh batteries in and she starts like it's 110 outside....like today :hehe: (101 heat index of 110) Cool and breezy I'd say lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 2010 6.4 4x4 f250 is awesome and loaded with everything except the worst mpg in any truck i have ever owned. i average 11 mpg and hwy 13 best. i feel a twin turbo this smooth should do alot better, and i guess my feelings are hurt cause i got rid of my 2009 dodge 6.7 that gave me 17 to 19 hwy.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
i had a 6.0 and now my 6.4...i would never tell someone to buy a 6.0 again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts