Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by the tech at my dealer that they cant tell once its back to stock?? I wish someone who really really knew could put this to rest. Any ford certified 6.4l techs could give us the low down as to just what the computer sees and can they just ask you if its been programmed or do they have proof positive that you had it programmed. What warranty work would the dealer check to see if your truck was programmed. Do some dealers have a computer that tells them it was programmed and some don't? If so that would explaine all the different answers on this? If they can then there is away to clear the ECU on the trucks computers. Why do all the performance Chip companys say "All you have to do is return it back to stock take it in for service then reflash your ECU when the warranty works done"?? What do you guys think?:confused::doh::crazy::dunno:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,897 Posts
I was told by the tech at my dealer that they cant tell once its back to stock?? I wish someone who really really knew could put this to rest. Any ford certified 6.4l techs could give us the low down as to just what the computer sees and can they just ask you if its been programmed or do they have proof positive that you had it programmed. What warranty work would the dealer check to see if your truck was programmed. Do some dealers have a computer that tells them it was programmed and some don't? If so that would explaine all the different answers on this? If they can then there is away to clear the ECU on the trucks computers. Why do all the performance Chip companys say "All you have to do is return it back to stock take it in for service then reflash your ECU when the warranty works done"?? What do you guys think?:confused::doh::crazy::dunno:
I have heard on the 6.4's that it will leave a memory trail.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
im pretty sure if you disconect the batter then there is no memory trail

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
Beter yet ask Marc, Scuffy, dirk or any of the other techs on here. They can give you the most accurate information there is. They work on these trucks daily.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'll bet Pahrumps correct....FMC isn't dumb, they put the hammer down after the 6-0 feasko... a little computer adjustment in memory would be all they needed to stop the false warranty claims. The 1st thing my service tech did was to hook the truck to a computer to see what I was doin' with the truck...you know what he was looking for!
Here's my issue, if a truck has been tuned and it has an issue with something, pick whatever, and there's documented cases, like here on this site, where an Un-tuned truck has the same issue, HOW can the Tuned truck NOT get warranty.

·
Registered
386 Posts
vehicles have what's called eeprom (electronicaly eraseable programable read only memory) basically think of the hard drive in you computer you un plug it and the memory remains.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ford can say what they want and leave it up to you to fight them. Is it illegal? Sure it is, look at the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. They are betting you will not do anything about it though.
You should re-read the law.... The burden of proof is on the dealer NOT you. However, you are right, not many people are gonna try to fight them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dealers can tell!

My Ford Powerstroke Tech said that the 2008 ford that have had a chip or programmer leaves a footprint that the dealer will see! He said that they are coming out with a way to erase it, but hasn't seen it yet!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure how the Ford computer works, but form my experience working with Subaru the way the technician could tell was by the amount of memory left in the computer. Your computer is essentially an 80gb i-pod in wich the factory logic uses 40gb of that memory. When you add a flash it uses up some of the extra memory even when you remove the flash because the software company that makes the flash leaves a little behind to make it easier for the person flashing the computer to do it the next time. So because of this instead of having 40gb of available memory your computer now only has 30gb left and that is how a technician can tell you had a flash. [/I]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know this has before but I will say it again.....

First is there a tuner that you can simply turn off the dpf and keep stock tuning?
Reason being even if they know you messed w/ the computer if you can show all you did was turn off regen then you have only affected the emmisions (go ahead and void my emmisions warranty PLEASE!) . This way no engine mods were done and if something breaks then so be it. I know you have to pay to play. I will pay to destroy my emissions and ford is not respoonsible for that component. The rest can stay the same as far as I am concerned (until after warranty expires)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I know this has before but I will say it again.....

First is there a tuner that you can simply turn off the dpf and keep stock tuning?
Reason being even if they know you messed w/ the computer if you can show all you did was turn off regen then you have only affected the emmisions (go ahead and void my emmisions warranty PLEASE!) . This way no engine mods were done and if something breaks then so be it. I know you have to pay to play. I will pay to destroy my emissions and ford is not respoonsible for that component. The rest can stay the same as far as I am concerned (until after warranty expires)

Ask your dealer. That's who your going to be talking to eventually. What anybody else says will not matter at that point in time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 6.4 computer monitors and records every "flash". Tech can see when it was last messed w/ and then check your OASIS report to see if they (FMC) did the update or not. In other words you take it in and it shows 5 or 6 flash events and they've not touched it...they'd know someone did. From there you would likely have an issue to deal with.:(

Some tuner manufacturers have developed a way around this.:wink[3]:

Stay Tuned
Amp

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is up to the owner to find a dealer that will work with the customer. My tech and service advisor told me when I complained about regen every 50 miles, just do the delete and recommended a local shop that will do it.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
The 6.4 computer monitors and records every "flash". Tech can see when it was last messed w/ and then check your OASIS report to see if they (FMC) did the update or not. In other words you take it in and it shows 5 or 6 flash events and they've not touched it...they'd know someone did. From there you would likely have an issue to deal with.:(

Some tuner manufacturers have developed a way around this.:wink[3]:

Stay Tuned
Amp
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.....to answer the basic question, yes there is a way for the dealer to see if you have programmed the truck, like Amp said.....but there are ways around it, just like regen :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
As for "can [they] do that" ... They can tell, but not necessarily charge the owner.

When I worked for Ford(many moons ago), I saw vehicles coming in for repair which clearly didn't "deserve" warranty work. I remember a dealer employee whos TurboCoupe was on the brink of warranty limits... She was a service writer and wrote a repair order for a complete engine replacement under warranty... Hers ran fine. And she GOT a complete engine, wires and all. And the dealership did the work and she paid $0.00 to boot.

I knew a guy who brought in his supercharged Mustang GT with two blown head gaskets and the slew of damage which often accompanies that problem. FREE engine!

The dealership, and more importantly, the manufacturer must prove the changes caused the damage before they charge any repair to the customer when the vehicle is still under warranty. That was the policy we used at all 4 dealerships I worked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.