Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
676 Posts
Woah, how did it go from 5 grand to 10 grand? Am I missing something? If they are doing heads, then that's a legitimate price. Injectors and HGs are a huge steal for shops because they take so long to do. But I think you have bigger problems with the low compression. Might just end up putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

·
Administrator
23,846 Posts
You bought a tired, worn out truck with 300K on it.
Without knowing what you paid for it, what are you trying to accomplish in all of this? a daily driver? a show truck? a work truck?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,018 Posts
WOW!!!

Can you possibly do any of this yourself??

Even if you throw a new engine in it, you will need to do filters, brakes (fluid a least but probably more), shocks, radiator, electrical (lights), differentials or axle seals, etc. etc.

Even doing #4, #5, and #6 injectors isn't a terrible job. Maybe just do #4 and #6 since the drivers side is easier. Then see what you have.

All higher mileage engines are going to have a little blow by. Maybe you need an actual compression test on all 8 before starting up the spending machine.

You had better have a shop that you REALLY trust!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took this truck to a shop that said free diagnostic, then they wanted to charge me 360$ for the pics that I posted, after I said I didn't have 6000$ for them lol. So I'm having it towed back to my place to do DIY I guess. I'm wondering if I should shoot blow ⬆ the lot that sold it to me for 10k .

They wanted 3 k for 2 injectors and 8 Gp
5+k for 2 injectors 8 GP and a radiator/new hoses/ thermostat. W/e.

Ive down radiators and was like "2k$+ for a new radiator?!?!?" It wasn't even overheating lmao

Just a work/ daily driver/ 10 sec-1/4mile
The usual

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

All this and no check engine?!?

It runs out of fuel when it says 1/4 tank so I've had 1 or 2 close ones getting to the pumps. After one of those times. It started dumping white smoke / won't go over 10 mph. The engines wayyyy louder than it should be not healthy sounding at all.

·
9,018 Posts
Dumping white smoke means you may be close to burning up an engine (it can happen quickly). It is an injector over-fueling. If you have driven it much, you may have significant engine damage.

Also, running out of fuel because the fuel pick-up tube in the tank has cracked is a good way to ruin injectors. Low fuel pressure will ruin injectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before the white smoke it was black smoke when Id put any foot in it, and also say I was hoping on the freeway as long as I was over 1900 rpm it would run smooth, then when it would shift into higher gear /lower rpms it would shake pretty bad, untill I stepped on it and got over 1900 rpms again.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
676 Posts
I took this truck to a shop that said free diagnostic, then they wanted to charge me 360$ for the pics that I posted, after I said I didn't have 6000$ for them lol. So I'm having it towed back to my place to do DIY I guess. I'm wondering if I should shoot blow ⬆ the lot that sold it to me for 10k .

They wanted 3 k for 2 injectors and 8 Gp
5+k for 2 injectors 8 GP and a radiator/new hoses/ thermostat. W/e.

Ive down radiators and was like "2k$+ for a new radiator?!?!?" It wasn't even overheating lmao

Just a work/ daily driver/ 10 sec-1/4mile
The usual

View attachment 778505
Thats a clean looking truck. Lets get it fixed :devilish:. If you just want to throw parts at it, start with the compression test, replace the glow plugs, replace the injectors, and run it again. I would focus on getting the truck started before I would even touch the radiator or anything on the cooling side. If you're feeling daring, and you have another vehicle that you can use, I'd take apart the whole thing and do the head gaskets. If you want to make sure that shop daiged it correctly, I would love to know why the injectors went bad. Either you had a loss of fuel pressure or the electrical side was starved, probably by a bad connection. The most common thing I can think of for the loss of compression is obviously head gaskets. I highly doubt you kissed a valve or anything dramatic like that. But all this depends on how much money you're willing to spend, and how much time you want to take. But doing it yourself will probably save you 5-7 grand so there's that.

Before the white smoke it was black smoke when Id put any foot in it, and also say I was hoping on the freeway as long as I was over 1900 rpm it would run smooth, then when it would shift into higher gear /lower rpms it would shake pretty bad, untill I stepped on it and got over 1900 rpms again.
Same thing happened to me. Was it smoking when you were shaking? Because if not, its electrical and they aren't even actuating. If it was smoking, I hope you stopped driving it.

Yeah @ this point it's gunna be a project cause I do have another driver while I wrench. I stopped driving it when the engine started clacking (louder than a diesel should clack) and wouldn't go over 10 mph. **** I've only had it for 7k miles
Oh I bet you damn near melted a piston. I think what you need to do first is get a borescope to look at the cylinder. You can do it through an injector hole and I think even a glow plug hole. Do that before you even buy any parts or anything. Make sure the engine isn't entirely toasted. I'm not entirely sure but when I did my injectors, I found the passenger side was easier (I know, a lot of guys say its harder). I just think fighting with the degas bottle and FICM connectors isn't worth it and I would rather use my small girl hands to get in there lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on pulling out the injectors in about 2 hrs when triple A drops her off. Watched the process about 50 times on YouTube so I'm pretty confident. Will definitely post more pics and updates

Thanks @ all!

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
676 Posts
I plan on pulling out the injectors in about 2 hrs when triple A drops her off. Watched the process about 50 times on YouTube so I'm pretty confident. Will definitely post more pics and updates

Thanks @ all!
Alright, let us know if you need any help. Also, put shop towels over all the holes and whatnot. But don't forget them :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
23,846 Posts
I took this truck to a shop that said free diagnostic,

Places like that are a trap, you are lucky they didnt put a mechanics lean on the truck for the fees.

Anyone searching this thread NEVER EVER fall for a free diag.
Nothing in life is free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it home now air intakes off, degas out of the way, found only 2 bolts holding down a FICM from a e 350 van. Check pics, I think one of the 3 plugs might not have even been plugged in... 🤯
Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
9,018 Posts
A ScanGauge is terrible at reading codes, hence the ForScan recommendation.

ForScan also runs tests - ScangaugeII does not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats a clean looking truck. Lets get it fixed :devilish:. If you just want to throw parts at it, start with the compression test, replace the glow plugs, replace the injectors, and run it again. I would focus on getting the truck started before I would even touch the radiator or anything on the cooling side. If you're feeling daring, and you have another vehicle that you can use, I'd take apart the whole thing and do the head gaskets. If you want to make sure that shop daiged it correctly, I would love to know why the injectors went bad. Either you had a loss of fuel pressure or the electrical side was starved, probably by a bad connection. The most common thing I can think of for the loss of compression is obviously head gaskets. I highly doubt you kissed a valve or anything dramatic like that. But all this depends on how much money you're willing to spend, and how much time you want to take. But doing it yourself will probably save you 5-7 grand so there's that.

Same thing happened to me. Was it smoking when you were shaking? Because if not, its electrical and they aren't even actuating. If it was smoking, I hope you stopped driving it.

Oh I bet you damn near melted a piston. I think what you need to do first is get a borescope to look at the cylinder. You can do it through an injector hole and I think even a glow plug hole. Do that before you even buy any parts or anything. Make sure the engine isn't entirely toasted. I'm not entirely sure but when I did my injectors, I found the passenger side was easier (I know, a lot of guys say its harder). I just think fighting with the degas bottle and FICM connectors isn't worth it and I would rather use my small girl hands to get in there lol.
Tire Car Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 54 Posts