Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well without putin a turbo and intercooler on it the #s would be low. It may just be a pickup to go out and smoke a bunch not a power house,

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
these old pikups are fun to play around with especialy when you can do stuff to then for free

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
lol right on. Il get you that pic then for sure cuz i know how that is. BUT i sometimes get into trouble with the girl cuz i say somethin about a pickup that is nicer than i say about here. i cant help it if its a nice truck. lol

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
well without putin a turbo and intercooler on it the #s would be low. It may just be a pickup to go out and smoke a bunch not a power house,
:agree: 100%
i know a guy that has a 89" 2wd dually single cab l. bed 5spd with 212,000 mi. on it and he has had it since 150k and has done nothing but put a service bed on it and load it down with a huge welder and a bizzilion tools
it lacks alot of power compared to the turboed 7.3 but is relible as the come
he has just serviced it when it needed it and just put a new starter on it the other day
this truck is rough but tough:thumb::icon_ford:
i might see if he wants to do this to his truck b/c if theres a long steep hill he is down in 2nd. or 3rd by the top:hehe:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
:agree: 100%
i know a guy that has a 89" 2wd dually single cab l. bed 5spd with 212,000 mi. on it and he has had it since 150k and has done nothing but put a service bed on it and load it down with a huge welder and a bizzilion tools
it lacks alot of power compared to the turboed 7.3 but is relible as the come
he has just serviced it when it needed it and just put a new starter on it the other day
this truck is rough but tough:thumb::icon_ford:
i might see if he wants to do this to his truck b/c if theres a long steep hill he is down in 2nd. or 3rd by the top:hehe:
Dang I didn't realize how slow those things are. I have an 88 F250 460 5spd with a 460 and towing about 5000lbs. I can pull 6% grades going 60mph in 4th.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I cant believe nobody has said this....

If you turn up the pump on an IDI you NEED a pyro. EGT's will get out of hand quick...trust me. When turning the pump up, its measured in flats. An allen screw has 5 sides right, well one side is 1 flat, or 1/5 of a turn. It will not take much. My truck is turned up around 1/4 turn, or 1.5flats, and I can roal coal even with the added air from my turbo. I can see 1200* with only turning it up that much, and thats with 9psi of boost....so on a N/A you would be way over the limit. I'm thinking about turning mine up another flat...I want more power :icon_ford:.

The difference between an IDI and the 460 is great. First off.....driving hard my truck get 15.5mpg....thats shifting at governed rpms all the time, WOT all the time....try to do that with a 460 and I garuntee you you will be below 8mpg. Towing I see 13.5mpg....and I can accelerate up hills with my turbo and pump turned up. Stock, they can be a little slow, but dont underestimate a good running turbo IDI. Its nice to jump from a stock or mild tuned OBS PSD into my truck...my truck has so much more balls down low its not even funny. I dont have to wait for my turbo to spool to have power....

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I cant believe nobody has said this....

If you turn up the pump on an IDI you NEED a pyro. EGT's will get out of hand quick...trust me. When turning the pump up, its measured in flats. An allen screw has 5 sides right, well one side is 1 flat, or 1/5 of a turn. It will not take much. My truck is turned up around 1/4 turn, or 1.5flats, and I can roal coal even with the added air from my turbo. I can see 1200* with only turning it up that much, and thats with 9psi of boost....so on a N/A you would be way over the limit. I'm thinking about turning mine up another flat...I want more power :icon_ford:.

The difference between an IDI and the 460 is great. First off.....driving hard my truck get 15.5mpg....thats shifting at governed rpms all the time, WOT all the time....try to do that with a 460 and I garuntee you you will be below 8mpg. Towing I see 13.5mpg....and I can accelerate up hills with my turbo and pump turned up. Stock, they can be a little slow, but dont underestimate a good running turbo IDI. Its nice to jump from a stock or mild tuned OBS PSD into my truck...my truck has so much more balls down low its not even funny. I dont have to wait for my turbo to spool to have power....
I get 11mpg punched in the city with the 460. I get 12mpg going 70mph on the freeway taching 2800rpm.

Also I want to add that I'm comparing both engines stock to stock.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I get 11mpg punched in the city with the 460. I get 12mpg going 70mph on the freeway taching 2800rpm.

Also I want to add that I'm comparing both engines stock to stock.
Wow, thats pretty dang impressive for a 460.

Stock for stock...the 460 will outrun the IDI... but the IDI will get better fuel economy. My truck stock averaged 17mpg and I drove it hard, ringing out every rpm it would give me on shifts and what not. Best I got stock was 19.7mpg...without overdrive...doing 60mph. I never did get a fuel economy number for 70mph....nobody drives that fast around here.

Plus who wants to drive a gasser :tard: :rofl:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts