Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOTS of problems...2004 6.0 in Excursion.
Ran Oasis report prior to buying in July w/43k miles. Didnt show any work.
Bought it, 9 visits, 9,000.00 in repairs (6,000 warranty coverage).
Just replaced Turbo....
Dealer says "Do you tow?"......not right now i said.....he said....."its meant to work".
Your not going to have the same expereince you had w/ your 7.3
So if you dont tow, whats the point in owning a 6.0 if as the dealer said-
'You have to drive it like you rented it"......
Thats TOO much thinking, cant I just get a tuner and jack up thje EGTs to
'TRICK' the 6.0 into thinking its towing???????????

HELP!!!!:dunno::confused:

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
You don't have to abuse it, but get on it every now and again. Probably once every time you drive it is plenty.

·
The Fat Mod
12,508 Posts
Be sure and get the turbo spooling from time to time and free it up. You should be good after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, so would you advise putting in neutral and revving/blipping if im just coasting at 5mph in traffic for 5-10 minutes??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Revving it in neutral is the same as doing it in park. No load on the motor and your turbo won't build any boost. You just need to accelerate hard to get your turbo to spool up, like when entering traffic or after stopping. It doesn't help the fuel milage, but, if it saves your turbo and extends having to clean your egr it's worth it.

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Umm I think I know your problem... I work in Santa Cruz at the VW Dodge Nissan Dealership and traffic sucks in Santa Cruz... There is almost no way you can go fast in that town unless you hit Hwy 1 at the right time of day lol... You just need to drive her a little hard from time to time... What is your orginal problem in the first place?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES! Someone that knows the roads here.....well original problem is I bought a 6.0!!
I had the wire break issue under the injector area, I had the EGR issue, I had a mechanic at North bay ford throw 5k worth of parts at it, until I printed a mechanic suggestion from a owners forum (who was right), and last was just a code for low boost and they put in a new turbo (gilroy ford, much better than north bay)....
So Gilroy said I needed to drive it like i rented it if I did not tow on a regular basis, and I was wondering if a tuner would help it (higher egts etc) to think it was towing.......
Man..my 7.3 I just drove it..........mellow, hard, didnt matter......

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
7.3 doesn't have the emmissions crap that your 6.0 has or the variable vane technology. When you use a vehicle unlike what it was intended for, you run into problems sometimes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do i need to pull the CAT, and the EGR or just the CAT?
I have the ability to register it in an area that requires no smog checks...

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Well you can get the EGR turned off... or get it blocked off... which obviously requires getting under the hood.

I'd get the cat delete pipe and the muffler delete pipe as well and run that puppy straight!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 2006 6.0 and i usally use it as a daily driver for short trips. Only tow about 1500-3000lbs once a month starting in april. Snow Plow in the winter (if it snows). Get on it with Dj's looney tune a couple times. Is this ok or should I get on it more

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone direct me to the tutorial on blocking the EGR or turning it off, that sounds great as it has been related directly to 5 dealer visits, and it has cost me plenty in lost productivity without wheels...

·
1,273 Posts
If your goin as far as gilroy u might as well bring it to Hollister and have Marc work on it.. He's a member of this site and a friend of mine he knows his ****.. I think Gilroy is telling you a load of crap just to get you out the door bro...

·
1,273 Posts
And another thing if you want a programer I would get the SCT for the 6.0s can't go wrong but first I would get gauges...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok cool, marc in Hollister at Hollister Ford?
It had a Edge Juice on it when I bought it but I pulled it off 3rd day (when it first broke down on me)....I have heard SCT is the real deal....

·
1,273 Posts
Yea at Tiffany Ford here in Hollister... And SCT for the 6.0s is the best program you can buy for your money. If you click on the banner below my pictures you can find it there at Rauls site.

·
1,273 Posts
And you can also talk to Marc about the EGR Delete and such...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts