Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first thing being said: truck has 317000 miles

i planned on puttin a DP chip in my 99 7.3. trucks has never had anything before, chip, programmer injectors nothin. i planned on given her a rebirth sorta deal

dad found out i was strait piping my stock exhaust and wasnt happy and even suprised even though i told him about it? he knows i have a chip in my future and apparently he asked his mechanic at the shop what he thought if i put a chip in it with that many miles. mechanic said "it will blow up for sure less than 500 miles after he puts it in" then dad went on to say if it blows he aint payin it and all that **** and if i want a chip i gotta get a low end one.

DP aint low and i want 'er. so you guys need to tell me what you think, cause youre the experts: can i put a nice chip in my truck with 317k on it? (even though i might not wanna hear the answer tell me the truth so i still have some wheels)

thanks
jake

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got it at 313 so i dont really know its been a while i can ask tommorow night. i wanna say its been replaced at 250k but dont quote me as of yet

jake

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do plan on getting gauges but not right away. and i want to fix the oil leak before the chip. chip isnt next anyway its still a ways off but i just wanna know cause the discussion tonight. i would probably forget to ask by the time the purchase rolled around.

·
Registered
553 Posts
is it a early 99 or late 99?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Get the gauges before the chip! Learn what your truck is doing before chipping, If you have an auto trans, plan on one of those shortly after the chip.

As for the engine, mild tuning shouldn't hurt it, It is rather worn but with the proper care, all should be ok.

Of course that only holds as long as there is no previous damage to the engine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh and don't go cheap on the chip. Good quality tuning is the key. Talk to Tony Wildman, and see what his thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Tony is good.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If the engien blows it it's more likely going to be because you ran it to hard and got your EGTs to hot than because of the miles. At that number of miles the valve guides are probbably shot and the piston rings are probably fairly worn and the main/rod bearings are probably showing some wear. But those things aren't going to be hurt much if any more with a chip than they already are. It's not like adding a chip is all of a sudden going to bust a piston or throw a rod unless those things were already dammaged before hand.

Give Dave Lott at Diesel Innovations a call. He can set you up with a nice chip and being he's got the fastest Powerstroke in the world I think he knows his stuff when it comes to tuneing. Jody Tipton at DP Tuner would be another good place to start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts