Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 7.3L turbo diesel, I'm looking at a 99 F250 with a seized up 5.0, I want to drop the 7.3 into it
Am I going to need to make modifications to alot of things? I'm not too experienced in the whole truck building thing, some serious help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
1999 trucks didn't have a 5.0... Either your year or motor is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I talked to my buddy and he told me the same thing, so I just assumed he dropped in a 5.0 for whatever reason. But will I need a suspension upgrade and a new trans?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I talked to my buddy and he told me the same thing, so I just assumed he dropped in a 5.0 for whatever reason. But will I need a suspension upgrade and a new trans?
Trans most deffantly needs to be changed, different bolt patterns I belive between the gasser trannys and the diesels. If you going to put a new trans in it dont bother putting a 4r100 (auto trans) in it unless it is built(mostly if you plan on chipping and pushing high hp), otherwise look into the zf6. As for the suspention I read somewhere on here that the leaf springs are heavier duty for the diesel. Hopfuly someone with more knowledge on that can fill you in on the suspention

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a 7.3L turbo diesel, I'm looking at a 99 F250 with a seized up 5.0, I want to drop the 7.3 into it
Am I going to need to make modifications to alot of things? I'm not too experienced in the whole truck building thing, some serious help would be appreciated.
At one time I was seriously going to drop a 7.3L into my '05 Excursion originally equiped w/6.8L V-10. What I found out is that going from gas to diesel is a BIG deal! I did the research and the harness, fuel system, insturment cluster, suspension and a host of other items were all different between two identical vehicles, that's if one is gas and the other equiped with diesel. Many have done the swap but from what I gathered it is a time consuming and somewhat costly project, and that came from two friends that already had done this swap and had identical matching donor vehicles as theirs at their disposal. All I am saying is measure 2 or 3 times before you cut, do as much research on the subject as possible. There are many powerstroke forums out there, search all to see if someone has a list of parts involved or possibly how to instruction.
As for me I found my 7.3 for a great price as to keep my Excusion and keep it the way it came, for now! Good luck on your project, I hope someone here can assist you in the conpeation of what you want.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything on a Diesel is heavier, Axles, Driveshafts, U joints, Springs, Brakes, sizes of lines, and fuel systems. I had a V10 Excursion once and looked at doing the Cummins swap, and decided a Diesel Excursion would be a better choice to start with. A truck built with a 5.4, the parts are even smaller across the board.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Not quite... the axles, drive shafts, U joints, brakes, etc are all the same. The front springs are heavier on the diesel.

It's cheaper to either put in a Cummings or buy a truck with a Powerstroke in it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
No such thing as 5.0 '99 f250. And it would take a TON of work. Tranny, suspension, diffs, TC, rear end, engine management (HUGE pita), etc.

You sure your buddy ain't a little "special" and it's a 5.4?
LOL!!!

Not quite... the axles, drive shafts, U joints, brakes, etc are all the same. The front springs are heavier on the diesel.

It's cheaper to... buy a truck with a Powerstroke in it.
Agreed! And far less of a headache.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts