Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to upgrade to dual alternators on my 2004 Ford F350 6.0L Powerstroke. I have seen this asked but not answered here. Can I just keep my existing alternator and pull the second alternator off a junk yard truck? Is it that easy? I suppose I will need to replace the radiator hose (oops- applies to the 7.3L?) and get a new belt (duh) but how does the second (lower?) alternator work on the Super Duty? I just want to add an alternator that I could use perhaps independently of the other one to some degree, as I will be running a big inverter with it.

Someone with pictures of an Ambulance package and 2 alternators - please post your pics of the alternator locations!

I want to run a 1500W or bigger inverter. These inverters are rated at around the 120 to 150 amp range, so it would be great to use the alternator as an auxiliary one. I could even give it its own battery, I suppose, for times in which I want to shut off the engine and run the inverter for a few minutes like at the McDonald's drive-thru (Uh, sir, could you shut your engine off, please.)

So do I have to have a special upgrade package from Ford for this, or what?

What's the difference between the 1st and second alternators? Am I forced to use an aftermarket alternator anyway?

I found this technical data on the Internet for belts/hoses:
Short upper hose, equal length elbow: 6C3Z-6C640-C; metal tube: single alternator 6C3Z-6K769-B or dual alternator 6C3Z-6K769-A.
Long upper hose, unequal length elbow: 6C3Z-6C640-A; metal tube: single alternator 5C3Z-6K769-AA or dual alternator 5C3Z-6K769-BA.
SuperDuty single alternator belt: 3C3Z-8620-DB
SuperDuty dual alternator belt: 3C3Z-8620-BC
F-Series, Dual Alternator: 3C3Z-8620-BC and -HB (both required)

Single Alternator part numbers:
There is a 140 amp replacement alternator available--P/N 4C3Z-10346-BA

Ford may not be able to modify a single alternator truck to a dual... They only mention the above alternator as an upgrade when you need more power.

This is from car-part.com when I searched for an alternator.
diesel, dual alt, 120 amp, ID 3C3T-10300-CB
diesel, dual alt, 140 amp, ID 3C3T-10300-BA and 3C3T-10300-BB
diesel, dual alt, 140 amp, ID 4C3T-10300-BA
diesel, dual alt, 120 amp, ID 3C3T-10300-CA and -CB

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Heres a bump, I wanna see the answer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like my existing alternator says 4C3T-AA which means....? I don't know.

·
Registered
750 Posts
bump....keepin it up top..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More JUICE!!

New info. Here is a perfect picture of the Ford Alternators for my truck (2004). Please actually see these URLs (not just the pictures)
The Primary Alternator: http://www.mpacatalog.com/ecat/qb/part_attributes.php?part_number=8306803&go_mpa=GO

The Secondary Alternator: http://www.mpacatalog.com/ecat/qb/part_attributes.php?part_number=8308604&go_mpa=GO

Note these important facts: the primary alternator (ends in 3) uses the 8-groove belt, and the secondary (ends in 4) uses the 6-groove belt. They also have wildly different bolt spacing and different 3-pin connectors. Typical OEM stupidity. :icon_ford: But look here: the connectors use the same pins! If you thumb thru the images on that website you can see the front/side/back views plus the connector layout... Sense, Dummy, :doh: and Lamp/Ign or Lamp/Ignition. (ADI) This is pretty interesting.

I wonder if it's possible to switch the ADI wires on a primary and secondary alternator? Who has two that can check it out for us? Should work. If so, then I may have an idea on how I can do something if their guts do the same thing.

More technical data and Motorcraft Part Numbers and prices:
Support bracket for the 2nd alternator: $127.65 3C-2Z10A313-AA
Belt For 2nd Alternator: $63.86 3C-3Z8620-BC
120 A Alternator $300.80 3C-3Z10346-CA
140 A Alternator $430.18 6C-3Z10346-BA
110 A Alternator $229.86 3C-3T10300-AA

When I discussed all of this on the phone with my dealer, the parts guy acted clueless at first and then sort of gave me advice like he had a clue later. Anyway, he searched high and low for the bracket and finally found it. But towards the end of the call he acted like it was not really possible to do what I wanted to do. Both he and a guy at a junkyard told me a similar "you better watch out" bologna that if I tried to do such a thing, I would possibly "fry something." :hehe:

Okay, please, can I have everyone's attention? I hereby disclaim that I am more than positive that I won't fry my ECU by any of the following:
  • Hooking up a second alternator on the sly directly to the battery
  • Up-sizing my alternator capacity
  • Running an alternator that bypasses the ECU,
  • Running an alternator that bypasses the batteries used by the truck
Final Note: The above website has a cross-reference lookup capability which is awesome. Try this:
http://www.mpacatalog.com/ecat/qb/cross_reference.php?part_number=3c3&go_mpa=GO&mpa_searchtype=2
http://www.mpacatalog.com/ecat/qb/buyers_guide.php?part_number=8308604&go_mpa=GO Good info!

·
Registered
750 Posts
bump it up again

·
Registered
196 Posts
wow nice find abovetec! I would bet you could wire in the second alternator with no issues at all. I would like to replace mine with a 140amp, but I should check which model I have first haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiring diagrams!

Check out this website for what appears to be Mustang Alternators. Click this link: Ford Fuel Injection » Alternator Files It talks about 3G, 4G, and 6G alternators. As to which one is which, I simply don't know. There are two possibilities for the 6G alternator -- one is analog, the other is digital I guess and hooks to the ECU for sampling and analysis.

One of these alternators is NOT LIKE the other! This 6G is the different one (look above at ECM)

So here are some Ford part numbers for alternators... some of these are for gas trucks or vans.

If you need to lookup your part number, just look at what is stamped on yours and then fill in the blank with the middle number. It appears that the middle number is always 10300 or 10346 for some reason - at least for the trucks we are interested in.
  • 6C3Z-10346-DA
  • 6C2T-10346-EB
  • 6C2Z-10346-EA
  • 6C2Z-10346-CA
  • 6C2Z-10346-DA
  • 5C3T-10300-AC
  • 5C3Z-10346-AA
  • 5C3T-10300-DB
  • 5C3Z-10346-DA
  • 5C3T-10300-BA
  • 4C3T-10300-AA
  • 4C3Z-10346-AA
  • 4C3T-10300-BA
  • 4C3T-10300-BB
  • 3C3T-10300-AA
  • 3C3T-10300-EA
  • 3C3Z-10346-EA
  • 3C3T-10300-BA
  • 3C3Z-10346-BA
See also: http://dixie-electric.com/catalog/OEM Reference Guide 2007.pdf

·
Registered
79 Posts
look up year and model for your truck as an ambulance prep-package. the ambulance prep-package will have either a dual alternator or a single high capacity alternator. Each engine (whether 7.3 or 6.0) will have different spacers/brackets if a dual alternator. depending on space behind your single alternator, you may be able to purchasing a aftermarket alternator. try leece-neville or if you know a ford parts person that could run the part numbers for you and tell you what is different between yours and one with an ambulance prep package...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to be offtopic but what are you running off that inverter? A reefer?
I'm confused as to why you need another alternator,.....

I have a 5000watt peak inverter, and I only have one alternator,....2 years now,...no issues.
Well I can answer for me... I'm worried that with a winch, onboard air / train horns, stereo system, 6 HID front lights, 2 HID rear lights, and a 2000-3000W inverter I might have some issues.

I am, however, also going to try and add two more optima batteries so I'll have 4 in the front total. Right now I have two of the 650CCA ones, so I want to add maybe two more of the big ones :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to be offtopic but what are you running off that inverter? A reefer?
I'll be running an air conditioner (just under 6 amps continuous at 120V) and a refrigerator, at around 2 amps. Now multiply those by 12 to get realistic DC amps. Um, that's 100 amps without turning on the lights. Dont-cha-think I might have issues or at least a concern to run these on a 110 amp stock alternator for the entire truck?

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
I have a 200amp Ford alternator....

When I ordered my truck from Ford,..It was an option ...so I got it.

Here is and old pic,..I changed a few things since I took it.

5000 watt inverter, powering a 115volt 2.5HP air compressor, which fills 16 gallons of air,...for my airhorns, Front & Rear ARB air lockers,...and anything else that I'll need....especially when I go off-road,..I can air back up easily.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts