Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are 2/3 through converting a 2002 excursion into a camper. The project snowballed into a much more time and $$ intensive undertaking bc, well, to be honest we were having fun with it:
-the original excursion is a black limited and it’s pretty
-dually + slight lift
-newer engine
-owned by a mechanic so runs great

we’ve added:
-a pop top from an old Westy with custom tent
-stripped the back, put in flooring + a futon
that pulls out to a full bed
-solar panels that power a mini fridge + speakers + charging cords etc

still needs:
-mini kitchen (chopping block + sink)
-a bit of work to finish the walls in back
-finishing touches that always take the longest.

it’s a cool project but it’s been dragging on for various reasons. We’re having a hard time finding the final motivation, so I come here to ask if anyone has any encouragement or suggestions:

-is this a project that’s worth putting the last bit of time and $$ into?
-do you all think there’s a market for this beast if we do decide to sell (finished or unfinished)
-and if so, any suggestions on where to look for buyers? Just trying to get an idea of how in over our heads we are.

thanks for any thoughts!

-C

·
Administrator
23,851 Posts
Let see what inside looks like.

Like anything else custom, the value is in the eye of the owner, when its time to sell it you will have to find the right buyer to hopefully break even.

From a should this even exist perspective there are many options that are more reliable, weigh less, and get better MPGs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let see what inside looks like.

Like anything else custom, the value is in the eye of the owner, when its time to sell it you will have to find the right buyer to hopefully break even.

From a should this even exist perspective there are many options that are more reliable, weigh less, and get better MPGs.
haha exactly my thoughts on the should this exist train... it’s how I feel until I’m standing in it and then I’m like oh dang this should definitely exist I love her haha. A Frankenstein for sure. No interior photos on me RN. Basic layout of a westfalia — using fresher/updated materials. + larger inside. Roof’s a triangle when lifted about 5’-7’ high. She’s definitely a big honker as far as campers go but can’t be beat for off-roading/towing.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
welcome to the forum and sweet looking custom rig!

Gotta be honest probably worth getting everything dialed in and then selling. If you want to go camping having a totally custom rig like that is going to be a pita when things brake in the boonies (its going to happen). I like custom but you would be money ahead having a truck and a slide in truck bed camper. They make pop up ones too for weight and fuel economy, etc.

My biggest concerns would be cost of ownership-Having to do brakes alone, unable to do tire rotations, cost of wheels if you damage one on the trail. I think it looks super cool and unique don't get me wrong. But me personally cut your losses and drive a rig that will be way easier to repair, attract less attention and a single rear wheel set up will allow more access, better fuel economy, cheaper in every way. Plus a pop up or hard sided truck bed camper will offer way more room/function for way cheaper etc.

Don't mean to be negative just my thoughts one some of the downsides of taking a very custom rig in the woods etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to the forum and sweet looking custom rig!

Gotta be honest probably worth getting everything dialed in and then selling. If you want to go camping having a totally custom rig like that is going to be a pita when things brake in the boonies (its going to happen). I like custom but you would be money ahead having a truck and a slide in truck bed camper. They make pop up ones too for weight and fuel economy, etc.

My biggest concerns would be cost of ownership-Having to do brakes alone, unable to do tire rotations, cost of wheels if you damage one on the trail. I think it looks super cool and unique don't get me wrong. But me personally cut your losses and drive a rig that will be way easier to repair, attract less attention and a single rear wheel set up will allow more access, better fuel economy, cheaper in every way. Plus a pop up or hard sided truck bed camper will offer way more room/function for way cheaper etc.

Don't mean to be negative just my thoughts one some of the downsides of taking a very custom rig in the woods etc.
points well taken. Thank you. Yes, I was also thinking in the direction of ‘attract less attention.’ It’s not exactly a stealth camper, now is it?

definitely in the final, sober stages of looking at joy of ownership (high) vs cost of ownership ( also high!!). things to think about. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Administrator
32,970 Posts
Thats pretty neat but IMO duals just don't get me where I want to camp ( rutted fire roads ) and soft sided campers are banned from overnight at park that have bear problems like Yellowstone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts