Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really the place to put this but i have an oppurtunity to buy a 85 carburated 305 camaro for 500 dollars motor has about 100,000 miles and just curious if anyone knows anything about them if there fast or if you can make them fast. This car does run and it runs well. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if this guy gets back to me ill prolly go pick it up any one else know anything?

·
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....
9,603 Posts
Speed is directly related to cash.

So....how fast do you want to spend?

This is very true!

if the body is straight 500 bucks is a heck of a deal.

and as far as the 305 goes I would replace with a 350. for about 2500 in engine upgrades you could have a screamer!

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I had a 305 in a silverado...it was fast but not nearly as fast as my 6.0 PSD!!

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
For $500 buy it, then jerk the motor out and put in a stroked 383 go with a 4 bolt main. and you can go fairly mild with the short block, as long as you put money into the heads, cam, intake, carb, and ignition system (the stock HEI should be enough) you can get some really good power out of it. Go with some 1.5:1 ratio roller rockers and you'd be good to go. Don't waste a ton of money buying chrome crap for the outside of the motor, put the $$ into it! If it's an auto then you can really put in a strong trans pretty cheap. Get a stock rebuild with a big valve body and a decent stall converter (will vary depending on the powerband of your cam)
But if your stall is too high, and your rear gears are too high then you'll burn out your converter (it will never lock up)

I can go on and on. :nod:

·
Registered
223 Posts
its going to have emissions heads on it to . Scrap the 305 for a 4 bolt main 350 and some 202 heads. $5000 into porting , a good intake manifold , carb and cam and some good internals and balancing you can hit 450 hp pretty easy

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
its going to have emissions heads on it to . Scrap the 305 for a 4 bolt main 350 and some 202 heads. $5000 into porting , a good intake manifold , carb and cam and some good internals and balancing you can hit 450 hp pretty easy

GM actually makes a great set of "fast burn" aluminum heads, that are bolt on ready. A friend put some on his NOVA II and they gave my Camaro a decent run.

·
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....
9,603 Posts
even the stock vortec heads off of a 96-98 truck 350 are a good step up from the old stockers.

had some on a mud truck I built with good cam and intake. It ran strong!!

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
even the stock vortec heads off of a 96-98 truck 350 are a good step up from the old stockers.

had some on a mud truck I built with good cam and intake. It ran strong!!
Yeah the "center bolt hole" valve cover heads?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
yes sir. The cast iron version of the "fast burn"
I've never been a big proponant of aluminum heads anyway. I run an old 462 cast # 2:02 on my Camaro that I dumped almost 8K in at West King Cylinder Head. But for me they will last longer and resist warping more than an aluminum member. (Although I have had to get them milled down once already) :dunno:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
yeah I'm not a big fan of aluminum either. Unless you are into some serious competion the weight isnt that big of a factor for me.. :D
Exactly, but the money they cost is :nod:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow didnt think this would catch, thanks everyone for your in put im waiting on the seller to decide if hes going to sell???? I dont know but ill buy it for sure if he sells ill keep yall updated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Weight is one of the advantages to aluminum heads, but another is that you can bump up the compression at least 1 point and run the same gas as an iron headed motor. For example, with my Buick Skylark, the 455 is about 9.8:1 compression and I run 93 octane. With my new motor that's still going together, the compression will be at least 11:1 and I'll be able to run the same fuel with my aluminum heads. Aluminum dissipates the heat better than iron, therefore you can run a hotter burning fuel compared to a similar built iron motor.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
forgot to post the guy sold it without telling me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts