Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up the International dealer here in town the other day looking for a new cam position sensor, and he said they have 2 different sensors for my year of engine. I have to grab the serial number for the engine to determine the correct one.

The sensors were either $19.22 for the first sensor, or $22.50 for the second sensor. Does this sound right? I thought it was rather cheap considering what I have read on other posts. Or is the International sensor a different make than the one you would get from Ford?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
the international one is a little different and the price is about right i think the international one is a little cheaper but if i were you i would take it to the dealer and have them do the warrenty recall for you its free

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
the international one is a little different and the price is about right i think the international one is a little cheaper but if i were you i would take it to the dealer and have them do the warrenty recall for you its free
He can't get the recall, his truck is a 96(according to his sig). The recall is only on 97-2003 7.3's.

As for the price, that sounds about right. The ford part is only a few dollars more then that.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
WELL WHEN I GOT MY THING IN THE MAIL IT SAID FOR ALL 7.3L MOTORS SO I DOTN KNOW

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up one the other day, and changed it out. It drastically changed the way it ran, it seemed louder, and the idle was smoother, but it was rougher for the rest of the RPM range.

When I changed it, I hadnt disconnected the battery. I am hoping that clears any stored learned drive cycles.

If I am way off track, or am on the right direction, please let me know. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
anyone heard of needing to shim the cam sensor. my truck was running a little rough so i called a local diesel shop and i told him i recently replaced it myself and he wanted me to bring it in so he could shim it. is he trying to help or trying to make a buck?

p.s. truck is fixed it was fuel related.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
anyone heard of needing to shim the cam sensor. my truck was running a little rough so i called a local diesel shop and i told him i recently replaced it myself and he wanted me to bring it in so he could shim it. is he trying to help or trying to make a buck?

I assume your truck is a 97. You get the recall done? You said you recently replaced it, is it the gray cam sensor, as that is the new one.

I haven't ever heard of shimming the cam sensor, i dont know how that would work??:dunno:

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts

I remember Scuffy mentioning something about shimming a cam sensor in an old thread, and it only needs to be done if the cam gear is scraping the face off the sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
i gotthe recall on my 2000 ford f -350. took it in and they said i had the new one installed. any advice on whether i should keep and extra one in glove box anyway?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
i gotthe recall on my 2000 ford f -350. took it in and they said i had the new one installed. any advice on whether i should keep and extra one in glove box anyway?
Ask anybody and they'll tell ya it's a good idea to keep an extra one in the glove box. At 20 bones it's a no brainer. :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ask anybody and they'll tell ya it's a good idea to keep an extra one in the glove box. At 20 bones it's a no brainer. :thumb:
Also keep a 10mm socket/ratchet with it so you can install it some dark nasty night on a deserted road!!:doh:

Slick!!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I have a hard start om my 97 7.3 replaced cam sensor and still have the same problem code 344 any ideas?
You may need to clean the EBPV sensor/tube

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
keep an extra or two in the glove box for sure! (and the socket needed to swap them)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts