Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a while since I have had to post post a question here but alas, here goes.

My Excusrsion (2003 6.0) has thrown a P0730 and P2703 code. It goes into reverse abnormally hard and has a shudder in reverse. When I go to drive it start in 1st gear and shift through the gears into OD until it is warm. Once warm and I come to a stop it doesnt go back to first, it seems like it is starting is 2nd or 3rd gear and will "hunt" for a gear. The Tow/haul light will start flashing and it will not shift into OD at that point. The fluid level is good and it is nice and bright red and is not burnt smelling at all. Im sure this has to be a coinidence but the plastic piece under the dash that adjusts the gear indicator has been broken for a couple of months and I just got around to fixing it Saturday and today this happens. I think my transmission is shot but I want to make sure im not missing something before I blow another 6k. Can anyone offer any insight into what might be going on or anything I can check? Any reccomendations on a trans?

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Administrator
32,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would post at FTE or PSN where Mark k can answer
but your codes seem to give you some direction ?

Thanks @ZMANN I will give that a try. The codes and symptoms seem to say the trans is shot but I want to do my best to make sure that is the case before throwing another 6k into the pit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
32,709 Posts
how many miles on it ?
do not buy from Ford

seems like it may just be a solenoid issue ?

"Pressure Control Solenoid E Control Circuit High"

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
On a different vehicle I recently changed solenoids for not being able to go above 35, and it fixed it. I felt real lucky escaping with about a $100 for parts and not having to sink it into rebuilding a transmission.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how many miles on it ?
do not buy from Ford

seems like it may just be a solenoid issue ?

"Pressure Control Solenoid E Control Circuit High"
It has 220k miles on it. It tows my 10k lbs travel trailer fairly often but that's the most it tows. It is running a little extra power as noted in my signature so that might have a little something to do with it. I'm thinking of going with a Twisted Diesel if a new trans is required. I for sure won't put another stock unit in with the other mods I have.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a different vehicle I recently changed solenoids for not being able to go above 35, and it fixed it. I felt real lucky escaping with about a $100 for parts and not having to sink it into rebuilding a transmission.
I was hoping it would be a solenoid but the reverse shudder and the codes are making me think it might be a little more than that.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I was hoping it would be a solenoid but the reverse shudder and the codes are making me think it might be a little more than that.
My solenoid issue on the other vehicle was not reverse shudder. Dropped out of gear into neutral.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
May be the information you need here
Link to PSN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts