Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timmerdog here. When I purchased my Dad's '01 PS 7.3 4x4, only 2 items didn't work for him in Connecticut. The power mirrors and the fuel gauge. I fixed the fuel gauge and posted the $10 repair on the sending unit. Since May, the truck now resides in Sunny Arizona.

Now there's a list of items that no longer function.
1. Ignition chime
2. Interior cab light
3. Power windows and mirrors
4. Cruise control
5. Horn
6. Windshield wipers

I pulled out the GEM module to inspect for corrosion or burned spots, it looks brand new - see pictures. All fuses in both boxes
Wood Font Gas Commemorative plaque Brick

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Font Wood Gas Metal Machine

are good.

Question 1: is there a way to test it for functionality? Other than some circuit chips, it looks like a crapload of diodes!

Question 2: I took the truck down to my local AutoZone to have them check with their OBD reader for codes but there was ZERO information transmitted. The associate checked twice but there was no data collected nor did the device have anything on its display. Does this give us any direction towards a resolve?

Question 3: Could these issues be caused by faulty relays? If so, can they be tested at an auto parts store?

My dilemma: My 30yr wedding anniversary is this August 2022. I may be celebrating it alone if I don't get the wipers working!馃ぃ

Any and all information is GREATLY and GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!

Timmerdog

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, NoRalPh turned me onto an OBD reader that I ordered today. It will arrive tomorrow and then I'll be trying to get codes from the truck.

Never worked with a tool like this before so I may have questions on how to use it.

More to come soon...

Many thanks to you both!
Timmerdog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to be careful here,,, all BT OBDII adapters do not work the same for us. Here is an inexpensive BT adapter that works well for Android devices with both ForScan & TorqueApp-> Amazon.com

You might want to call the guys at Circuit Board Medics and see what they think, what would be the turn-around to look at your GEM, and what would repairs usually cost? (especially without the corrosion we usually see)..
Last question before producing answers to your questions.
My Dad installed a "super chips" program to increase power output. Would reverting the program back to the factory setting be necessary prior to hooking up the OBD reader?

Thanks,
Timmerdog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And? What did you find?
Jimmy's Pilot Service
Here's what I found using the OBD2 Reader. It's a BAFX Products reader which was recommended by NoRalPh. I followed the instructions for pairing the device without an issue and started the truck. The device began flashing and my phone displayed a vaccum graph but that was all it showed. Their were pages (7) either swiping left or right but only the one page had information on it.

When I went into Settings to ask it to display codes, it said there were NONE. The instructions direct me to videos to watch for using the device - my next step, but I wanted to communicate with both you and NoRalPh

More to come unless you have a shortcut. You both said these OBD readers can be finicky with certain vehicles. I'm using the Torque lite app. I will try the Forscan lite app to see if better fruit yields.

Again, I appreciate your interest in my issue!

Timmerdog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you!
You both are awesome! Unfortunately, I'm doomed to wire trace the wiper problem in 100+掳 heat just to have my wife with me when we celebrate 30yrs of marital bliss!馃ぃ

Once I get to a cooler environment, I'll resolve the other issues.

Timmerdog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts