Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the good great best etc etc. paint out there best bang for your buck? but not (junk)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump, getting ready to start painting

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm not a paint pro. but a couple guys here at work that do some autobody really like the paint from summit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Idk, three older guys I know like napa paint not the old stuff they have, just looking for the best kind of paint out there, going with the base coat, clear coat, just don't want paint to be shot in five years..

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Paint has very little to do with the end result of the paint job. It's prep work and the painter. You can go buy a $1,000 gallon of clear and it can look worse than a $100 gallon of clear if not done right.
If you want tough as nails paint, use fleet or aviation paint, I recommend DuPont imron fleet paint.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
This is my wife's old car I sprayed with imron about three years ago. It's all straight out the gun, no buffing btw

Also imron on my mustang

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that base clear? And as far as prep work for me its been sanded down, primed with urathane primer and wet sanded with 600 so far

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
You can get it in either single stage or clear coat. Those are both clearcoats. It goes on easy. One wet cross coat of base, ten minute flash then one wet cross coat clear and ur done. Make sure u use an accelerator tho!!! Either 8989 or 389 depending on temps, ur paint store can set you up with all you need.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For a Factory finish its DuPont or PPG,,,I personally prefer DuPont. For a Custom color i always run House of Kolor from sealer to base and clear they are the best, not cheap.Take your time and dont rush your flash times...Good luck

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get it in either single stage or clear coat. Those are both clearcoats. It goes on easy. One wet cross coat of base, ten minute flash then one wet cross coat clear and ur done. Make sure u use an accelerator tho!!! Either 8989 or 389 depending on temps, ur paint store can set you up with all you need.
Where can I find DuPont paint, Idk if there are any dealers around here in my small town...

And thanks I have been taking my time on the prep, actually blocking all the primer by hand, cant stand wavy paint

·
Registered
95 Posts
look on line i'm sure you can find a site willing to ship....just a thought

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Yea I have no idea what's available in your area, just do some searching I'm sure you'll find something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts