Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 99 F350 7.3 4x4. All seemed well for the first 400 miles (first tank of gas). Once I filled it up for the first time it started running like crap. It starts fine. If I don't let it warm up for while when I initially start out I can floor the accelerator and the truck just creeps along. Once warmed up it seems to accelerate fairly strong, runs at very low speeds okay but feels like it's missing on two cylinders at about 1200 rpm and 40 mph. At high speeds, 60 and above, I can't tell anything is wrong. My first tank of gas I averaged 14mpg. I've now changed all fluids.

I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and they told me the number two and five injectors are bad. My truck only has 90k on it. I can tell it use to be a fleet truck if that helps anyone. My question is two-fold. Should I take the dealer's word and change the two injectors? They wanted $1600 for two injectors and to "flush out my system." That ain't gonna happen. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I'll do the work myself. I'd like to know from you guys whether I should look into any other possibilities such as a wiring harness, o-rings, etc before I lay out the cash for injectors. My next question would be should I change them all out? If two are going bad are the rest soon to follow? And last what injectors would you guys recommend? I plan on the usual mods: intake, exhaust, gauges, tunes and possibly propane injection. So should I upgrade to single shots? I don't have unlimited cash but I'll do the right thing. I bow to you guys technical superiority.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yeah, its the injectors, just had the same problem with my buddy's truck, same symptoms, replace the two injectors and you should be good to go.........

·
Tennessee Powerstrokes
2,830 Posts
I recently bought a 99 F350 7.3 4x4. All seemed well for the first 400 miles (first tank of gas). Once I filled it up for the first time it started running like crap. It starts fine. If I don't let it warm up for while when I initially start out I can floor the accelerator and the truck just creeps along. Once warmed up it seems to accelerate fairly strong, runs at very low speeds okay but feels like it's missing on two cylinders at about 1200 rpm and 40 mph. At high speeds, 60 and above, I can't tell anything is wrong. My first tank of gas I averaged 14mpg. I've now changed all fluids.

I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and they told me the number two and five injectors are bad. My truck only has 90k on it. I can tell it use to be a fleet truck if that helps anyone. My question is two-fold. Should I take the dealer's word and change the two injectors? They wanted $1600 for two injectors and to "flush out my system." That ain't gonna happen. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I'll do the work myself. I'd like to know from you guys whether I should look into any other possibilities such as a wiring harness, o-rings, etc before I lay out the cash for injectors. My next question would be should I change them all out? If two are going bad are the rest soon to follow? And last what injectors would you guys recommend? I plan on the usual mods: intake, exhaust, gauges, tunes and possibly propane injection. So should I upgrade to single shots? I don't have unlimited cash but I'll do the right thing. I bow to you guys technical superiority.
Yes by all means do the work your self if you can. The stealership prices are out of line by far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts