Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question for you cali guys with stacks. i am almost positive that i am moving to cali in 7 months and i want toi make sure i am not gonna get in trouble with my truck. i have stacks on my early 99 f250. cat did not come with the truck and i took my muffler when i did the turbo back install. my wife is scared i will get stopped and fined pretty good. i am military so i will have it registered i another state just don't want the epa to run me down. thansk for any help.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
you just need the cat but since your 7.3 didn't come with one you're fine. I've been pulled over, talked to the cop about it, and let go. he was nice enough not to ticket me I think cuz I told him I was putting the cat back on the following week. chyea right!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I could imagine people in cali would have a heartattack if they saw you dump some coal. But is that really "illegal" to black smoke?

·
Registered
771 Posts
If it didnt come with one, they definately cant give you a ticket.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yay 7.3! :woot: Screw emissions crap.

Seriously though how much more reliable are the 7.3's without CAT's and DPF's and EGR's and all that junk...?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
So. My truck basically doesn't smoke. It fumes... it smells as strong as a dairy farm, but there's not really any black or visible smoke, would I still get in trouble if I went to Cali, not that I would. Just curious..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i am getting stationed bown in imperial beach about 10 miles south of san degio. just wanted my wife to feel better cause i would have to play teh dumb card if i got pulled over. and my truck doesn't smoke untill i flip the chip up on 140hp and then she will blow some black smoke. thanks for all teh replies.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yea I am pretty sure you can not get ticketed for something that was not OEM from the get go. Also nice looking stacks/truck.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Everything in California has a fine attached. Guilty till proven innocent (at great expense) is the state motto.
at the taxpayers expense, i might be getiing one of these some lady was on her cell phone after i launched off a red light and she would not get off my tail but she cant write my license plate down if she cant see it!!!

BTW she was driving one of those one seater hybrids:hehe::hehe:

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
I blow coil and run a straight pipe all day everyday in cali haven't gotten pulled over for that....

·
Registered
478 Posts
at the taxpayers expense, i might be getiing one of these some lady was on her cell phone after i launched off a red light and she would not get off my tail but she cant write my license plate down if she cant see it!!!

BTW she was driving one of those one seater hybrids:hehe::hehe:
the liberal/green hybrid owners are annoying, everyone is hopping on this dumb hybrid bandwagon. I will NEVER own a hybrid, sorry for the rant:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
you wont get in trouble unless you blow coal in front of a cop out here. my friend just got pulled over the other day and got a fix a ticket for blowing smoke he got on the freeway and went all the way to the left and could not see behind him and the cop gave him a ticket and said i dont know what i just gave you but its fixable

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the cat issue. The Early 99's had cats, the late 99-03 didn't, so I wonder why your truck never had one? I doubt any cali state trooper would say "hey guy, whats the build date on this truck?, oh is one of those early 99's that came with a cat, well here's your ticket" I think you would be safe as long as you didn't blow a pile of smoke in a cops face.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
hell some cops up here might give you a fixit ticket for having a bad a$$ diesel that dosent blow smoke?:dunno:

it really depends on where you want to live if its SoCal you might have a little harassment from the cops, but central to north california i havent had a prob yet but i have only had the tuner for a week or so and my stacks arent on yet

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
i have been running stacks for a few months now.... so far so good and i have drove by bike cops and all they do is look..

now i can tell you that i do get scared when i pass because im afraid their going to pull me over. it is illegal to modify any part of your exhaust here in cali to make it louder. so if anything they can give you a noise enforcement ticket which would men you will need to put a muffler on it.

or you can do like me and but a bypass on it so you can turn off the stacks

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
thats a good point, the good thing is that most cops only write tickets to the fart can mufflers because those are f'in annoyin! but the bypass is a good idea

1 - 20 of 22 Posts