Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing an EGR delete on my truck. But I'm concerned about how it's going to affect the results of future smog tests. Has anyone in Cali done a delete on their truck? Did a you have any problems passing smog? Or am I better off just installing an aftermarket EGR cooler? Any advice would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Go with a Bulletproof egr cooler!

Part of the CA smog test is a visual check of all smog equiptment so when they see the egr cooler gone they will fail it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go with a Bulletproof egr cooler!

Part of the CA smog test is a visual check of all smog equiptment so when they see the egr cooler gone they will fail it.
Thanks. Yea, my buddy said just do the delete..."the smog guys don't know what to look for". But I don't want to take any chances. The Bulletproof EGR cooler looks pretty 'boss'. I think it costs about the same as a delete too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have your cooler all welded closed and run an sct with egr off
That's a great idea for the visual check. But do you know if welding the egr shut affects the reading the computer will get coming out the exhaust? Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you get a SCT tuner you can turn the EGR off. Keep it from fuctioning. You dont need it!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I have my cooler there welded shut with the v-band flange on making it look in place with a solid up pipe, it looks cool and looks like its all together. And I'm sure the smog guys will find the egr cooler. Some are dumb but not all

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That's a great idea for the visual check. But do you know if welding the egr shut affects the reading the computer will get coming out the exhaust? Thanks for the suggestion.
For smog testing diesels, they don't use an exhaust testing probe like they do for gasoline engines so that is not an issue.

;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.:thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in SoCal and just had my smog check and like everybody here says all they do is visual checks, that being said that might change in the future so with that in mind I would go with the BPD's EGR cooler, that's what I have.....peace of mind!!.

I1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts