Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Powerstroke Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. My 2006 F-250 6 liter is ALMOST bone stock. I've added an AFE intake and an AMSOIL bypass kit. That's it. Smog inspector immediately balked upon seeing the AFE intake. Tried to show the CARB EO. No go as it's not labeled on the intake. The AFE intake is now approved but not when this unit was manufactured, hence it's not marked. I'm hoping a label may be obtained for the intake as it's legal now. When I started convincing the tech the intake was legal, he shifted to PCV. He identified the oil fill tube as the PCV valve. I pointed out that the PCV is on the opposite side of the motor. The tech would not let me show him the PCV and the fact that is is not modified. I'm trying to comply but this is insane.
Does anybody know of a smog inspection near Corona that knows the difference between an oil fill tube and a PCV?
Does anybody have any experience with a part that received a CARB EO after it was manufactured? I can't imagine that the oil bypass need a CARB EO as it has nothing to do with emissions!!!

·
517 Posts
That is the number 3 recession why i left that state....

OOO and go to other smog guy that knows WTF he is talking about...

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
if you have to argue with a carb tech hes a retard and find another shop. put a review online about his ignorance in a polite manor to save others trouble. advance auto on walters ct in fairfield ca. best place ever. good luck man sorry.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So far leaving that state is the best decision I've ever made.

If your local board is active on here I'd ask who everyone else uses. Or get on Yelp and read those reviews.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: kcoyner

·
Registered
953 Posts
My goodness, I'm so happy I moved to texas 5 years ago from California...all I here is horror stories on diesel emissions in California. Heck even when I was living in minnesota, they are cool with diesels and no emissions check for diesels.

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
I'd report the shop/tech to the state agency. In VA if there was an issue with vehicle inspections you can call the state police and they would investigate the inspection station. Seemed to settle LOTS of arguments quickly. Just be sure you are ready for that kind of action.

·
The Powerstroke Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all who replied sharing my frustration. I recall some other details now on the incident. No matter. California is lost. I'm seriously considering how I'm gonna escape. Yea, I thought about yelp and all. Not sure if I can get sued by the owner of the business. I really should post the experience somewhere. The tech had no idea what he was looking at. The first thing the said was "I have to fail you because of the AFE turbo", which turned out to be my intake. I'm glad he didn't fail me and let me go. I would have either returned my vehicle to stock. (I discarded the parts). Or gone to a CARB referee. Neither option is good. What is so ironic is my truck is practically stock. Oh well. I'm going to look around Monday to find a smog check place that knows what their looking at. This whole smog check thing is really about taxation. It's good to have a place to vent. We had better start getting together and opposing more regulations that are on the horizon. The whackos are not done, jsut getting warmed up.

·
The Powerstroke Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planned on making the call Monday. I was able to download the CARB EO D-550-10 however. My understanding is a sticker or engraving on the part is required. I'll reply back when I go through AFE customer support.

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
right on. Ya i bet if you call them they'll hook you up. it would bring alot of business for them if they really stand by their companies for this oppressive C.A.R.B. crap I flipping hate that stuff.... did you know they're working on doing inspections on certain types of house stoves because it supposedly relases some gas harmful to the enviroment....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Escaping from California is easy. You drive east. If you hit New York you've stumbled upon the East Coast California. Go south from there. Can't go wrong.

·
The Powerstroke Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at Texas or Florida maybe, but I'm definitely on the way out of here. Taxes keep going up, especially under the govinator. I read that the EPA will require DPFs on new wood burning stoves soon. I get keeping the air clean, but it's gone way over the top.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When they banned fires on beaches because of pollution I lost it. That and buying a gun in that state and being treated like a criminal. Good luck in your exodus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts