Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I have searched and searched, but can't seem to figure out exactly the answer I am looking for. Truck is a 2013 F-350, Crew Cab Short Bed, with approx 115k miles on it. The truck has always been a Colorado/Wyoming truck so no rust/corrosion. The body line between the cab and the bed is slightly off on the drivers side and it's starting to annoy me every time I look at it. On the drivers side of the truck, the bed sits a smidge higher than the cab. The passenger side is perfectly straight.

My first thought was body mounts but visually the body mounts look fine. Is it possible that the outside of the body mount looks fine but the inside is trashed? Is it possible for the body mounts to get squishy? There seems to be a decent amount of cab to bed movement when hitting bumps off camber, such as pulling into the driveway at an angle.

Lastly, is it possible to shim the back cab mount to bring it up, or would it be best to replace the cab mount? My fear is that the cab mount is fine, and it just needs shimmed. If I end up replacing all of the cab mounts, I'll get the S&B Silicone ones and just do all of them but I want to make sure I'm not throwing 700$ down the drain for no reason.

Appreciate any guidance you all might have!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2001 Ford F350, 7.3L, 4R100, CC, LB, SRW
19,191 Posts
A couple of things:
- Is the truck sitting on an even surface on all four wheels? I ask because my driveway is not even and I found something similar due frame flex. Some time later, the truck was in a parking lot (even surface), everything was lined up.

- Is it possible it's the bed and not the cab? Is the front driver side bolt in the bed tightened down?

Just asking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of things:
- Is the truck sitting on an even surface on all four wheels? I ask because my driveway is not even and I found something similar due frame flex. Some time later, the truck was in a parking lot (even surface), everything was lined up.

- Is it possible it's the bed and not the cab? Is the front driver side bolt in the bed tightened down?

Just asking.
Thank you for replying! Yep, it looks like this all the time, whether parked on a flat surface or driving down the road. It’s only the drivers side that is off, the passenger side is perfect. You can actually stand at the back of the truck and see there’s less cab showing above the bed on the drivers side than the passenger side. To a regular passerby, they’d probably never notice unless they looked closely. I’m just one of those people that once you see it, it gets more and more annoying every time you see it.

I checked the bed, it’s got the same amount of shims on both sides. I checked all of the bed bolts as well and they’re all tight.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I'm going to put my money on cab bushings even though they look fine on the outside

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
From what I hear the S&B and similar silicone or whatever they're made out of end up providing a rougher ride and have a tendency to squeak. OEM, which sucks, sounds like the best route for replacement...I know mine are due, I have no rubber in 3 of them anymore and the cab clunks when the suspension flexes lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I hear the S&B and similar silicone or whatever they're made out of end up providing a rougher ride and have a tendency to squeak. OEM, which sucks, sounds like the best route for replacement...I know mine are due, I have no rubber in 3 of them anymore and the cab clunks when the suspension flexes lol.
The rough ride and squeak are typically due to urethane bushings such as day-star or energy suspension which are rigid and hard. From what I can tell, S&B is made from silicone and is supposed to be a direct upgrade to the OEM units for a better ride and no squeak. Check out their website, they have some pretty solid information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got the new S&B body mounts installed, what a difference! The cab lines are straight again and it rides like a whole different truck. Here's a picture of the rear drivers side cab mount where the cab was sagging, and a picture compared to the passenger side rear cab mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Love my s$b .....lifetime warranty too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts