Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the mods can make this a sticky?

I recently installed OEM Ford clearance/cab lights on my 2002 f-250. I used Motoman’s Madness write-up, Marty’s (Maintain) from Powerstrole.org, and the instructions that came with mine. This write-up pertains mostly to 1999-2003 F-250/350/450 etc…but will work with newer models as well.

Lets get a few things straight: I read mixed reviews on aftermarket lights, so I went with old faithful and got OEM amber lens lights. Whether you have an overhead console or not, the wiring harness that fits the lights will work, and I’ll explain how to make it work later.

Lets get started with what you will need:
-Drill bits that are made for metal
-1/8”
-1/4”
-Some form of a bit that will drill up to 1” (Unibit/christams tree/step bit, whole saw or a knock out punch)
-Screw drivers
-Flat and Phillips head of various sizes
-Silicone and caulking gun
-Drill that will accommodate the drill bits you have
-Masking tape
-Tape measure
-Shop Vac
-Step ladder
-A friend to help “eyeball and critic”
-Wire cutters
-In line splice block
-5/16” socket and ratchet
-Electrical tape
-5 clearance lights, a harness, and 10 nuts and washers to accommodate
-PATIENCE

I believe we have all the materials covered.

Disconnect the batteries!
Read through this entire write-up to make sure you understand and have everything you need. Feel free to PM me with questions. :thumb:

First thing I did was remove all of the trim that holds the headliner in tact.

There are two pieces that cover the (4) 5/16" screws/bolts on the handle of the passenger side A-pillar. Pop them off with a thin flat head screw driver and remove the 4 bolts. Place the handle to the side. The A-pillar trim comes off fairly easy. Pull down on the weatherstripping, which will allow you to access the A-pillar trim easier for removal. Do the same thing to the drives side minus the handle.

Next I removed the roof handle on the passenger side.

This comes off basically the same way as the A-pillar handle. Pop the two trim tabs off and use a phillips head screw driver to remove the 2 screws.

After this I removed the sun visors on both sides.

There are 3 screws per visor. 2 on the hinge mount and 1 where the visor clips in. If your truck has vanity lights on the "make-up mirror", there will be wires with a clip that need to be disconnected when dropping the visor from the roof.

When you have the visors removed, there are two "plug type" anchors that pull out. If you look in the upper right hand side of the picture, you'll see what I'm talking about.

These are a pain to take out so I made it easy on myself. I pulled them down enough to get the claw of a hammer behind them to pull them down. Be patient and work them down and you'll be good to go.

Next, it's time to remove the overhead console (if you have one). You won't like the sound of this, as I didn't, but grab both sides of the console (left and right) and pull straight down. It will sound like it's breaking, but there are 4 clips that hold it up and you just have to pull to get it off.
It will look like this when off and you can leave it alone once you have the trim of it off:

The last thing that I removed from the roof was the dome light housing.

The lens comes off by popping it off with a small flat head. Then, there are three phillips head screws that need to be removed and a clip to lossen once the fixture is loose.

The head liner should be able to drop down enough to work and drill ( it wasn't easy with the clearance I gave myself, so feel free to remove the entire thing or remove more trim to allow more space. The main reason I left it up so close was to catch most of the shavings so they could be vacuumed later. Forgot to take a pic with the headliner down... :doh:

With the headliner down you are ready to cover the dash with plastic, a blanket, or newspaper.

I didn't get a pic of this next step, but I can explain it very easily. Behind the passenger side kick panel, you "should" find your plug in for cab lights. I say "should" because, if you have an overhead console the plug in will be there. If you don't, it will be hit or miss if you don't is my understanding. I did so I was good to go. The scuff plate pops up fairly easy and allows you to remove the kick panel. The kick panel has another one of those aggravating fasteners that needs a flat head and a hammer to remove.

Fold your mirrors in and set your step ladder up next to the truck at the top of the windshield. You can tape in any manner you wish, I used blue painters/masking tape and taped all the way back from the windshield weatherstripping to around a 8" back.

Lets get down to the most crucial part of this project...MEASURING! A tape measure and a pencil will be all you need and a calculator, if you need it :poke: lol.
-First thing you'll want to do get on the "flat part" of the roof and find the center of the roof ( drivers side to passenger side). Once you feel you have done this, check it several more times. Get a buddy to hold a pencil point on the spot with the eraser pointing towards the sky and YOU get down and look and eyeball to see what you think. I used the mirror and the V in the hood to judge from the front. From the back I used the high-mount brake light. I would rather not say what my measurements were for the center as to I don't want to be responsible for getting this first measurement off.
-Once you have found the center and you are sure you have the center, measure away from the center towards the drivers side as well as the passengers side. These measurements I am about to tell you will be from center to center. From the center to the next light's center going from center to left or right will be 8-1/4". From that mark the next mark will be 12-1/2" away.
12.5" 8.25" 8.25" 12.5" drawing just to show measurement location
0------0--------0---------0------0

Remeber, all measurements are from center to center.
-Next I transferred these measurements closer to the windshield.

Read this carefully:
You want 3-1/2" between the windshield weather stripping/gasket and the FRONT of each light.

So what you will need are 5 marks at 3-1/2" back from the gasket to the front of the light @ the correct spacing from left to right.

The guy I bought my lights from sends a metal template with every order and this made life so much easier. I took the template and lined the front of it up with my 3-1/2" mark at all 5 locations and scribed the 3 holes with a pencil. All the lights point straight towards the front of the truck. When I got the template, I drew a line on it through the center from front to back to make it easier to line up. Sorry again, no picture of this.

Once you are sure you have the marks where you want them and headliner is down far enough, you are ready to start drilling. I got a shop vac and used it to suck the shavings up as I drilled to cut down on the mess. At all 5 locations, you will have (3) marks. At these marks, use a 1/8" bit ( so you want (15) 1/8" holes. Next you will use your 1/4" bit to drill the outer holes at every location. Once that is done, you will use whatever you have chosen to make the 1" hole to make the 1" hole in the center of each set of holes. Test fit all the lights in all the holes for a proper fit and adjust accordingly.

Now you should have 5 sets of holes (that's a gatorade bottle under the hole that I used to keep the head liner down), (2) 1/4" outer holes and (1) 1" center hole.

Carefully peel the tape back.

Now you are ready to install the harness.

It will have 2 wires, a brown and black. If you don't have an overhead console and the plug for the lights is in the kick panel, you are good to go and you can proceed to the next step. If you do have an overhead console, you will need to modify it. Disconnect the console harness in the kick panel and determine which end is the harness ( it will be the male end). Take some notes when you go through this process yourself. The light harness that comes with the lights should/will be oriented in this fashion, but the black will be to the right of the brown wire. I did forget to take some extras pics here, but you will get the idea. Remember the location of these wires, it's very important:

On the end where the plug connects is a red tab in the center of the pug. It pops out using a small Flathead or something of the sort. Once out, use the small screw drive to push the wires out of the plug.

(For those that have no overhead console only)Fish the loose ends of the harness down the dash next to the A-pillar to the kick panel and plug it in the female plug.

(For those who have an overhead console) Now you will need this, the splice block. It's an inline tap for wiring. Look closely in the pic (it's red and small) near the drill and caulking gun.

On the light harness ( the one with the loose ends) cut the black connector off. Go to the kick panel with that harness, the splice block, a knife, and some pliers. Locate of the console male plug the black wire that is in the same location as where the black wire was in the other plug. Peel/cut the tape off of the harness so you can work with the black wire. Fish the loose ends of the harness down the dash next to the A-pillar and get ready to make your connection. There is a red clip in the console harness as well (being very careful as to not letting any wires slip out), remove the clip like earlier push the brown wire in the location that it needs to be (to the left of the black wire) and reinstall the clip. Take the splice block and splice the black wire from the light harness to the console harness. Plug the connection. Pop a light in the harness and reconnect the batteries for a moment to check to see if the lights work, then disconnect the batteries.

Run the harness up the A-pillar and above the headliner to each hole, sticking the plug for each light through each hole.

I connected all 5 lights to each plug to keep the harness in place.
Here they are laying in place and ready for silicone and fasteners.

I did the center light above the console first as it was the biggest PITA. Get your washers and nuts ready as well has 5/16" ratchet or wrench. When you are ready to do so, silicone around the hole and place the light in the hole. I used some weighted objects to hold the light down while I was attaching the washers and nuts. I put a dab of silicone on washer to make it stick to the roof while I got the nut ready to thread. You should have some wiggle room, so before you tighten the nuts down all the way align them accordingly and tighten them down well.

Do this for the next 4 lights and re-install everything in the reverse order.

I promised some people some parts numbers: I couldn't find the PN for the harness, but a google search should help get you in the right direction.
The part number for the lights is (8C3Z-15442-C).
Remember the cab light harness will work with the console harness. No need to get charged extra for someone to make you a harness. I think I have around $130 in this project as I had basically everything I needed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If you have any comments or feel I should change something let me know and I will edit it.

Here are some final pics till I get some more and I will pop the kick panel off this weekend to get pics of my harness modification.

Before:

After:

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
Nice write up :thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fantastic write up! I am sure glad mine came with cab lights because I dont know if I could get myself to cut holes in mine haha!!

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I did this back on my 90, and I miss having them on my 06. BUT, my 06 has a sunroof. Any idea if they can be installed with the factory sunroof? I'm not sure if it was an option or not.

Also -- who did you get your lights from that included that template?

Adam

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got them from this guy. I know I could have found them cheaper, but this guy made me feel better about the purchase, than the usual ebay seller.

FORD F150 F250 F350 E150-350 SUPER DUTY CAB LIGHTS OEM - eBay (item 320538878784 end time Dec-22-10 07:53:28 PST)

I believe you can install the lights with a sunroof. I would measure from the weatherstripping back to the sunroof and look to see how much room you have first. Then if it looks like you do, drop the headliner and poke your head in there and see whats on the bottom side. :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe you can install the lights with a sunroof. I would measure from the weatherstripping back to the sunroof and look to see how much room you have first. Then if it looks like you do, drop the headliner and poke your head in there and see whats on the bottom side. :thumb:
Thanks. I took a couple measurements and it looks like it varies between 7.5" and 8" from the windshield weatherstripping to the sunroof (depending on where in the curve I measure). How big are the lights? Wondering if this is enough.

Adam

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry I had forgotten all about it. The length of the template/light is 4-1/16"
Thanks -- sounds like it will be close but work. I will probably take some real good measurements based on what you posted before ordering, but I am feeling pretty confident about the lights. Just not sure about the headliner around the sunroof and how it's held up. :confused:

Adam

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dumb question but can you do your own hardwiring without getting the harness? I have all the lights but forgot to order the harness and wanting to do the install over christmas.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts