Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tech here at the dealership will have the cab off whilst replacing my EGR cooler, oil cooler, and clean the turbo up. ...while the cab is off, what else should I do while I have big time access to everything? Everything is still there and stock BTW. I already have in mind to drill and tap for an EGT sensor for the Insight.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
arp's?

browns diesel has them for $398. I got mine with in 4 days. not sure how long for you but see if they can get them to you in time.

Update the stc, along with the standpipes and dummy plugs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's involved in replacing those for the technician..just wondering how much more tear down time and how much labor is involved.

·
Administrator
30,932 Posts
A boat load more work call and get an estimate

Ps most people put the probe in the exhaust under the truck so the cab off really doesn't mean anything and if you do drill and tap bring a 1/8 npt plug if you don't have the probe

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I agree, call them. Are you under warranty?

for the stc, hpop will need to be removed.

arp's, the heads and everything packed in them, injecotrs, valvetrain.

Intake manifold and tubo for both. But this will already be off for replacing both coolers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No warranty....this is all going to come out of pocket.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A boat load more work call and get an estimate

Ps most people put the probe in the exhaust under the truck so the cab off really doesn't mean anything and if you do drill and tap bring a 1/8 npt plug if you don't have the probe
Good to know..I can do that at a later time if need be.

·
Administrator
30,932 Posts
Good to know..I can do that at a later time if need be.
It would be nice to do but it's a grand in parts plus the labor plus you really want to take the heads somplace and have them checked

it all adds up

I had mine done days before the warranty was up

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I am thinking that is a far superior EGR cooler than stock!

·
Registered
88 Posts
How many hours would it take to take the cab off to replace oil cooler egr cooler? I just had both my coolers replaced plus cleaned the turbo and my mechanic did it in 7.2 hours start to finish. Seems like a lot of extra work to remove the cab just to do that... But, I am no mechanic..

·
Administrator
30,932 Posts
ford didn't pull mine to do those Items but right after they were 100% done with the coolers when they decided to to the Head Gaskets lol

I will tell you they cheat the book time and slice your carpet to get to cab bolts
If I new mine was comming off I would have had the back seat out aalready

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
So my tech here at the dealership will have the cab off whilst replacing my EGR cooler, oil cooler, and clean the turbo up. ...while the cab is off, what else should I do while I have big time access to everything? Everything is still there and stock BTW. I already have in mind to drill and tap for an EGT sensor for the Insight.
Okay, did I read this correctly? Your tech at your dealership is liftinc the cab off your truck, only to replace a set of coolers and service your turbo? But he is NOT removing the cylinder heads? I can't speak for how other techs work, but I generally only lift cabs (or bodies) on trucks that I'm either removing the engine or the cylinder head(s) for whatever repair is needed. just my :twocents:.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I will tell you they cheat the book time and slice your carpet to get to cab bolts
For what it's worth, I recall one such tech posting this "secret shortcut" on another forum, and I believe I called him down on it. THAT, is just plain laziness in my opinion. In the 17 years I've been wrenching, I would NEVER EVER resort to this type of hackery to access any fastener. And this is the type of thing that makes all the techs that do care, look bad.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah...EGR cooler and Oil cooler, while its down that far, he's going to clean up the turbo. Why they like to pull the cab is beyond me, maybe easier to get to??, a way to charge me more??? but I see them do it like that all the time. Seems like everytime I walk back there to get a soda, there is one in the air.:dunno:

·
Administrator
30,932 Posts
In the 17 years I've been wrenching, I would NEVER EVER resort to this type of hackery to access any fastener.
Since it was behind the rear seat I wasn't completley bent and I am picky
but I called them on it since they were so eager to upcharge me for everything they did extra for Me

that and the loose arcing alternator wire missing pan bolt ,bat cover,low oil level
:dunno:

I do realize some like You go above and beyond :thumb: and some don't :doh:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
So are they going to charge you book time for egr cooler and oil cooler? Seems like alot of extra work to pull the cab for just those items. Just don't want to see you get ripped off on labor. If your gonna have the cab off, you may as well get the HG's and studs done too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking into it!....you can spend alot of money when the cab is in the air!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
injectors would be easy while cab is off

1 - 20 of 32 Posts