Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tied a search in this section and can't come up with squat. I know I've read about this stuff but can't find anything.

My 2014 has 65,000 miles and is coming up on the warranty expiration next month in May. I've been under there and the front and rear cab bushings are significantly degraded. These would be the foam version. The center bushings look much better. I went to my local dealer and he ran the code for the bushings as a warranty item and they came back as "not covered". I thought others were getting them covered under ESP.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
In for the comments. We just did my friends 2013. Wasn't hateful but it still took 5 hours and whatever he paid for the mounts.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
fixing to do mine on a 2012. Foremost mounts are metal on metal as well as rearmost. Mid mounts are OKish...201K on the truck but many hard miles.

Probably will be putting on the S&B silicone replacement kit instead of OEM. $699? I think

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've heard the S&B are very nice. We used Daystar or Energy. I cannot remember which. Came with all new cups and bolts. The bolts were not tapered to locate the captive nut but a bench grinder and a die to chase the threads made quick work of that.
One word of advice if you do them yourself- buy a little mini torch and heat the bolts pretty good. That plus a little penetrating oil on the nut and they come out like they were installed yesterday. Do not....do not use an impact.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've heard the S&B are very nice. We used Daystar or Energy. I cannot remember which. Came with all new cups and bolts. The bolts were not tapered to locate the captive nut but a bench grinder and a die to chase the threads made quick work of that.
One word of advice if you do them yourself- buy a little mini torch and heat the bolts pretty good. That plus a little penetrating oil on the nut and they come out like they were installed yesterday. Do not....do not use an impact.
Did you have a lift for the cab? What was your approach? I bought the S&B kit but am worried I will mess up the install by using a jack.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Read the warranty carefully on the S&B's
I believe they have to be installed by a qualified shop using a lift and a torque wrench for the lifetime warranty to be in effect

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did you have a lift for the cab? What was your approach? I bought the S&B kit but am worried I will mess up the install by using a jack.
No lift. We used a pair of floor jacks with pieces of 4x4 fence post. We placed the post as close as possible to the mount under the firewall and the other at the rear most mount. All the bolts were loosened until we had a 3/8" gap between the bolt head and the mount plate. That way we knew nothing was going to shift. Then we raised one side of the cab a little and removed the bolts, old bushings and plates.
Reverse procedure on the other side, torque the bolts and take for a spin. We did a final torque after that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This should be interesting. I went to the dealer in the next town over, a much larger dealer, and he ran my VIN and said the bushings are covered. He ordered them and will notify me when they come in. I'll update as this progresses.

Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
No lift. We used a pair of floor jacks with pieces of 4x4 fence post. We placed the post as close as possible to the mount under the firewall and the other at the rear most mount. All the bolts were loosened until we had a 3/8" gap between the bolt head and the mount plate. That way we knew nothing was going to shift. Then we raised one side of the cab a little and removed the bolts, old bushings and plates.
Reverse procedure on the other side, torque the bolts and take for a spin. We did a final torque after that.
Did anything else need to be loosened underneath the truck? Did you need to loosen the other side mounts while you were doing one side or did you leave them tightened?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did anything else need to be loosened underneath the truck? Did you need to loosen the other side mounts while you were doing one side or did you leave them tightened?
Loosened all of them first. Partly to make sure we could get them loose. Partly so as not to bend the bolts when we lifted the cab. Raised one side up then removed the bolts the rest of the way on that side. Put new bolts in 90% of the way and moved to the other side. Set the cab down and made sure all bolts moved freely to ensure it was all centered. Nothing else got disconnected or moved. No wiring or lines were touched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts