Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to bypass or eliminate the clutch start switch on an 06 ? I grew up driving sticks since 1973 and have a 65 mustang and 68 torino that dont have those switches. I dont like the idea of having to put unnecessary pressure on the thrust bearing.

·
Old School
258 Posts
I'm sure you can figure out a way to bypass it, but just hope you don't have a friend or family member not realize it and try to start the truck when it's in gear. lol

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Watching that video it seems pretty easy to get what you want. Just drop out the switch and rig it to be engaged. Might want to test is several times before leaving it for others to crash. LOL

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you can figure out a way to bypass it, but just hope you don't have a friend or family member not realize it and try to start the truck when it's in gear. lol
nobody drives my vehicles but me. I'm not married and dont have kids. GF cant drive a stick. Remember for decades there was no clutch safety switch. If you drive a 1960's car beware that stick cars didnt come with a clutch safety switch. People were smarted back then and didnt need safety switches or lane change warnings or all that other safety crap like Boeing put on the 737 Max 8.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Btw IF you buy or drive a stick car from the 60's like a mustang or camaro they DO NOT have clutch safety switches. We grew up in the time when people were smart and didnt need all this so called computer control crap

·
Registered
697 Posts
Btw IF you buy or drive a stick car from the 60's like a mustang or camaro they DO NOT have clutch safety switches. We grew up in the time when people were smart and didnt need all this so called computer control crap
I agree 100%

However here is the other side of the coin....

IF you forget 1 time its way worse on the starter/flywheel/ and whatever you may ram into including but not limited to running your self over from leaning in and starting the thing.

The thrust bearing gets way more use driving than it does the few times a day getting started.

Just my measely 2 cents. I have employees so safety switch is a must.....

Reactions: Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree 100%

However here is the other side of the coin....

IF you forget 1 time its way worse on the starter/flywheel/ and whatever you may ram into including but not limited to running your self over from leaning in and starting the thing.

The thrust bearing gets way more use driving than it does the few times a day getting started.

Just my measely 2 cents. I have employees so safety switch is a must.....
We always had our foot on the brake and the parking brake on in those 1960 cars. I still keep my foot on the brake and parking brake on when starting my safety switched truck.

The reason the thrust bearing gets more wear on startup because the oil has dripped off. When driving I put the trans in neutral when coming to a stop. I do not sit at a red light with the clutch pushed in. I look at the opposite traffic light and when it turns yellow I push the clutch , put it gear and the light is green about then and I go. The thrust bearing is getting oiled real good when the engine is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts