Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im considering investing in a bypass oil filter. Who makes the best product?

The only one iv seen is the FS2500. What else is out there?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Raul. Im tellin you man, your always there to help me out!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok sounds good. i got times haha

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
about 400-500 bones i think...... from what ive read, it pretty much saves your motor. And i like my motor, alot, and i think i should do this for her haha.:woot: Its a give and take relationship hahahaha.:rofl::):icon_ford:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I thought those oil filters that use the toilet paper rolls where supposed to filter down to 1 micron or better? They don't filter 100% of the oil all the time though. It a lower preasure type. I think one company called Frantz and another called motor guard, alsthough I couldnt find anything about the motor guard one.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
According to Amsoil-
Engine wear is created by dirt and soot particles greater than 5 microns. Their by-pass filter is 98.7% efficient at 2 microns and 39% efficient at less than 1 micron.

I'm sure its on their website, but just figured I would post it up for you. That's the one I was going to get, when the money got spent on other things...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'll say this. I went with the "OilGuard" system. It was 295 dollars w/ all the mounting hardware supplied. The filter elements cost 20 dollars. So far it seems like a nice product. I'm running 5w-40 synthetic and have 7500 miles so far on the oil. I can pull the dipstick while the engine is running and it looks like oil (with a regular filter only) with about 500 miles on it, just a tinge of darkness in the color. There's a lot of companies that make good systems. FS2500, Oilguard, Amsoil, they are all good systems and will suit your needs I think.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im plannin on ordering the amsoil kit from Raul!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are a couple of kits on the amsoil website. There is one for the international and another that only specifies max and min amount of quarts. Do they both filter the same or is there a difference as the price would suggest? One is a 100 bucks cheaper than the other.

Raul,
What would be the price? Also, I just got my preffered membership if that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search on Bypass Filter on YouTube. There is a whole piece on a $60 bypass filter that sounds like the correct way to do it. Doesn't the Amsoil use a banjo bolt on the oilpan drain and a piece of rubber tube for the return line? Hang that on a rock and you would regret it.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Search on Bypass Filter on YouTube. There is a whole piece on a $60 bypass filter that sounds like the correct way to do it. Doesn't the Amsoil use a banjo bolt on the oilpan drain and a piece of rubber tube for the return line? Hang that on a rock and you would regret it.

Charlie
I want to get one of these also, but that setup sounds like junk ^^^ I TAKE THAT BACK BECAUSE OF WHAT EARLY_99 SAID.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts

Charlie
I forgot that the Amsoil instructions suck however the amsoil unit can mount just like every other bypass unit does. Either with a spin on adapter or into the block using existing ports that are plugged from the manufacturer.

On edit: I have a piping diagram that differs from the instruction on their site. I forget that their instructions suck and that is why a fellow amsoil dealer and I don't use those instructions. The port used for the supply is to the front oil filter and return to a port to the back of the filter. I see what you mean about the hose routing being poor and could cause a problem if you were to get it caught on something. I have installed numerous dual remote bypass units and I ran one my self for over 100K miles, this uses a spin on filter adapter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I realy don't plan on going anywhere that might cause a failure like hanging it on a rock so that is not a concrn with me.

Strokin,
Can you show us the different configuration you are referring to? I will be putting mine on this weekend.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Doesn't the Amsoil use a banjo bolt on the oilpan drain and a piece of rubber tube for the return line? Hang that on a rock and you would regret it.

Charlie
That is totally incorrect. There is no way for the oil to flow through the system if that were the case. You can either have the adaptor that spins on where your stock filter is then your stock filter spins onto it and the lines from that adaptor or you can get the one like I've got where it has an adaptor that spins on where your stock filter goes with two fittings on it that run to a filter head that has places to mount the full flow filter along with the bypass together.

The system works pretty nice. I ran it on my truck for quite awhile then took it off when I rebuilt my engine. Just haven't gotten around to putting it back on yet.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts