Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Most buzzing noises are from relays that aren't receiving enough current to stay latched.

What's your system Voltage? Not at the battery, but under the hood in the fusebox. What happens to that voltage when you roll the key On or try to Crank?

What Year is your truck? (they're not all the same electrics)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck is a 2000 don’t know about the voltage at the box I will look and let you know. Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when I do not have they key in it has negative numbers raging from 23-120 and it goes all over the place and then when the key is in the on position it just does the same thing but with positive numbers. (And yes I am on the right dmm setting)

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
(And yes I am on the right dmm setting)
Can't be....

The probes are in the wrong holes maybe?

Go to the battery (either of them) red to + black to - and experiment with the selections and positions (stay away from Ohms ;) ) until you find @12v reading. You know about those ~ and --- icons? you don't want ~ (that's for AC and we're DC)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't be....

The probes are in the wrong holes maybe?

Go to the battery (either of them) red to + black to - and experiment with the selections and positions (stay away from Ohms ;) ) until you find @12v reading. You know about those ~ and --- icons? you don't want ~ (that's for AC and we're DC)
I was doing the dmm right, i even experimented on a battery like you said and still got those goofy numbers, however the buzzing kind of stopped It only goes on when I put my turn signal on

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
OK, so here's your problem (if your meter reads like at the battery, there's a problem with it ;) ). The 4-way flasher switch, at the top of the steering column cover, has crud in it (because it's pointing up and crap collects there) and causing a poor contact inside. Try just pushing it In/Out a few times, might clear it up (for awhile anyway), eventually you'll need a new sw. That Buzzing is coming from your Turn Signal Relay and does so because it's running on the reduced current those sw contacts are causing. Loading the relay, by activating the turn signals, stops the buzz.

A common problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts