Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother is looking at buying a 2012 f 350 6.7 crew cab XLT. it has 60,000 miles and is an ex-lease. the truck looks really good all around and seems to run and drive perfectly. Is there anything in particular he should be looking for or anything he should get checked out?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd check the engine idle hours for sure. These engines do not like long hours of just sitting.. If they are low and truck seems to have been taken care of 60,000 isn't a lot. Got a lot of life left in it

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Total hours are 3280, idle hours are 1559 and it actually has about 80,000 miles on it. I thought he said 60 before.

He has the dealer down to 27k

·
Registered
604 Posts
Total hours are 3280, idle hours are 1559 and it actually has about 80,000 miles on it. I thought he said 60 before.

He has the dealer down to 27k
That's a lot of idle hours in my opinion. Mine only has 32 idle hours at 9000 miles. Leased vehicles make me nervous as the previous owner had no vested interest in how the vehicle is taken care of. I worked in the rental car industry and know all of the bad things that happened to vehicles and then unknowing people bought them as "lease returns". Just something to think about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are the idle hours high for Alberta?
With good credit he can get a brand new one and extend those months to 84 and drop those payments.
The price seems low for Canada too.
I took my chances with one at 30,000 mi. and it's at 136,000 now.
Maintenace records are worth a fortune.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a bunch of 2011's around alberta for about 25 grand.

New is about 60 grand plus tax, he's paying cash for this one.

The idle time is probably low for an oil patch truck. A supervisor most likely sat in it all day long with a couple of coffees in the cupholders. It would have spent full days idleing for about 6 months/year.

At 27 grand I figure he's still ahead of the game if a $5000 repair bill gets thrown at him in a few months. The original window sticker is still in the glove box with MSRP of 69k

·
Registered
369 Posts
don't forget in Canada the idle hours will be high as the winters are not forgiving,it takes at lesst 15 minuits for my tranny to get to 9 degrees c. my idle hours are high and the truck seems to never regen so I would assume a idling truck in texas is bad but an idle truck in winter is good? if that makes sense!! its -37c here now and my tranny and steering is so stiff now ithas to idle at least 15-20 minuits to just move!!

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the common problems to look for on these trucks? I've seen some stuff about burnt valves.... was that rectified by 2012? Issues with turbo? I've read about people having driveability issues that the Ford dealer couldn't fix and released thebtrucks back to the owner whole saying "deal with it yourself" high pressure fuel pumps are ok?

I think it was mostly early 2011 issues I was reading about.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can't say much about failed parts, but mine does the stumble once in a while. Kinda feels like the traction control is going off on dry pavement on a slow acceleration once in a whileand my heater controls or ac decide to turn on once in a blue moon.those are both issues that get me blank stares at the dealer!! But my truck is only six months old.you will mor than likely still have 20k of warranty unless it's diffrent for fleet trucks. If you do just spend a couple grand and get extended warranty.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like minor hiccups that someone that isn't ocd could live with.

extended warranty would be 4 grand extra and won't cover it if he does the dpf delete and a tune which is the plan.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i cant say anything, my engine idle hours are 668 over 39k mikes, and engine hours are 1622. i work in the oil patch in texas, my 7.3 didnt mind idling all day, we will see about this 6.7 i am about to do the seic mod on it though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.