Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a set of used arp headstuds for my 6.0, what should i look for? Any things i should be aware of? Will so eone install used headstuds on my truck, or do diesel shops only install new ones?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you rely on the truck day after day, i would definitely just grab some new ones. After the studs have been torqued down they stretch, and evidently would be weaker. My :twocents:

·
517 Posts
Looking at buying a set of used arp headstuds for my 6.0, what should i look for? Any things i should be aware of? Will so eone install used headstuds on my truck, or do diesel shops only install new ones?
Have you ever used a used condom???
Cause if it brakes your Fvked :doh:

Just don't do it, spend the ~$400 and be done with it....

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
If you rely on the truck day after day, i would definitely just grab some new ones. After the studs have been torqued down they stretch, and evidently would be weaker. My :twocents:
Not true if they are torqued to proper specs. Used studs are fine so long as they were installed properly the first time around. I have used studs in my truck and haven't had a singe issue from them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ARP recommends you should only re-use their studs 3 times. Which I think by assumption would be issued by them stretching. I bet you could use them way more then 3 times! But to each their own. This is why i have a 7.3 :hehe:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I also have used studs on my truck with no issues . Got them for a hundred bucks , can't go wrong . I say do it for sure and use the money u save to get something else . Any one will install what ever u give them to install no problem .

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have used ones in mine, bought the truck with studs, motor puked and they went in the new block. No issues so far after 30 k miles

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was in the same boat. Called ARP and was told " if installed properly and threads are not damaged you are good to go" I bought them for 100 bucks... I think you would be fine. Mine are oiled down and waited for the inevitable upchuck from the degas.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bought mine used as well for 100 bucks.... no issues. The money you save can go towards something else. I say do it!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mine are on their 4th use with no issues. I say go for it.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would use them also, I don't have any personal experience with 6.0 head studs, but I do have them in my race car, it has 13.5:1 compression and I have retorqued the arp studs in that 8 times then I figured it would be good insurance to change them. once torqued studs are still like new.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got a new set for $350 - if I would of fought harder could of gotten $325 probably.. Even at a $100 difference is it really worth the potential problems?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts