Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, im new here so if i do something wrong in these posts let me know.
So im looking at getting my dream truck. 96 250 PSD 4x4 CC short bed SRW. THe truck has a pretty straight body on it with a noticeable dent on the drivers side rear door. 253k miles. Found the seller and he claims to have had no real problems since owning the truck for 6 months. Says it needs to be plugged in on cold nights. so new glow plugs? Also says the overdrive doesnt kick in until its warmed up according to the owner. And a new camshaft sensor was just put in. Both fuel tanks work. What worries me is that he claims that the turbo looks new. He doesnt know much about it. Otherwise he says its solid mechanically. Going to look at it tomorrow. Hes only asking 4500 and i havent seen a better deal. Just this turbo business worries me. Just looking for some advice guys, THANKS IN ADVANCE:icon_ford:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check the turbo shaft play, to see if its in good condition. check it by removing the intake boot connected to the turbo and shake the turbine up and down and side to side.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much play should there be? any at all?

·
Registered
162 Posts
There shouldn't be any play.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hell mines got 270k miles and my Turbo looks new. I'd be more concerned with the trans issue. Offer him 3k. Tell him it needs glowplugs/relay and trans work

What's the worse he will say? No?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also check stuff like fluid levels, leaks, etc.
Take her fer a test drive and listen for abnormal noises, vibration, pulling.
Try romping on the throttle pretty hard , while driving, and look for smoke. If the smoke is blue its oil, white might be coolant and black smoke means that fuel is not burning effciantly.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The trans is not supposed to kick into overdrive until the fluid temp hits around 90*

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. ive been looking around and seeing alot on the blow by test. Is this test the same as it is on the newer super duty 7.3s?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you are talking about the turning the oil cap upside down on the oil fill, then yes

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would it work to just unscrew and lay the cap on top without flipping it over??

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It needs to be flipped over to get the right effect.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh ok
I'll try it

·
Registered
840 Posts
yeah the trans issue sounds normal, its not just overdrive. the torque convertor wont lock until the trans temp is the right temp. sounds like it might be a good deal, you should take some pics to post when you go see it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts