Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. Looking to purchase my first Powerstroke and diesel truck. Have intentions of eventually pulling up to 20k lbs, possibly a bit more. The truck may also end up with DOT numbers for our own use (not for hire). To my understanding, there were a few changes and updates for 2015/2016, including the turbo. My current search is '15/16 F350 DRW (Plat/Lariat) with around 80k-120k miles on it, less miles if it fits the budget. I have come across a few nice options that have been deleted, turbo back exhaust, etc. Should I steer clear of these trucks for the given reasons or keep them as an option? If you suggest a stock truck, what are some important items to inspect and issues to look for?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Not sure why you need DOT numbers for personal use, can you give a bit more explanation?? If you "must" get DOT numbers you better stay stock all around.

Deletes should be avoided, DPF back exhausts are okay.

Stock trucks are hard to grade if you are buying from a dealer. I might feel better buying on a personal sale. You can get the VIN and go thru the Service Department to see if there's any repair/maintenance history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why you need DOT numbers for personal use, can you give a bit more explanation?? If you "must" get DOT numbers you better stay stock all around.

Deletes should be avoided, DPF back exhausts are okay.

Stock trucks are hard to grade if you are buying from a dealer. I might feel better buying on a personal sale. You can get the VIN and go thru the Service Department to see if there's any repair/maintenance history.
The truck will be used for company purposes once every few months, so we will place our DOT number and company logo on the truck during those times. It will be a Florida registered truck and only taken outside the state every 3-4 months.

Would it be a waste of time and a pain to purchase a deleted truck and eventually reinstall parts to make it compliant? I know that finding the parts can be difficult and somewhat expensive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's not so much that you would need to replace the parts every now and then to be compliant with your DOT #. It's more the fact that every mounty in every county will want to pull you over and check you. like they said earlier if you're going to put a DOT # on it I would find stock and leave it stock.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Once you mention DOT don't even think about deleting. They'll bust your bawls every chance they can get going state to state. I'd just get a stock truck off the bat, nothing to mess with. Reinstalling an EGR cooler isn't fun, bolts could break, neither is trying to hold up 400lbs of exhaust to put it back on. Like Heavy said, you'd probably find a better deal buying private party, if you're concerned about maintenance, grab the VIN and the dealer should be able to tell you if it's had anything done at the dealer. I'd take a sample of the water separator and see what it looks like.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once you mention DOT don't even think about deleting. They'll bust your bawls every chance they can get going state to state. I'd just get a stock truck off the bat, nothing to mess with. Reinstalling an EGR cooler isn't fun, bolts could break, neither is trying to hold up 400lbs of exhaust to put it back on. Like Heavy said, you'd probably find a better deal buying private party, if you're concerned about maintenance, grab the VIN and the dealer should be able to tell you if it's had anything done at the dealer. I'd take a sample of the water separator and see what it looks like.
Thanks for the info and suggestion! Could you go into a bit more detail on the water separator sample and what to inspect for?

Any other major items to pay close attention to on a truck with +/- 100k miles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What mileage would you guys consider being too many for a 2015 / 2016 F350? I plan to keep the truck for a minimum of 5 years and 15-20k miles per year.

·
Registered
266 Posts
In the water seperator sample you are just looking to make sure that you aren't already seeing water in the fuel. That is a big problem with killing the CP4 pump and then causing mucho problems.

I bought my 2016 F250 Crew Cab XLT last August right before Labor Day with just over 65k on it. I've only got about 9k on it since then and absolutely love it. I'm not sure on the usage rates of 350 duallies if they tend to run higher on miles or not. So yeah there is many trucks out there in your desire mileage range and possibly lower.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks for the info and suggestion! Could you go into a bit more detail on the water separator sample and what to inspect for?

Any other major items to pay close attention to on a truck with +/- 100k miles?
Under the driver frame rail, yellow petc*ck, drain about 1/4 into a mason jar, let it sit and see if it separates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts