Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying my first F350...

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  6.0f250firstcar 
#1 ·
Joined this site today as I am moving from gas to diesel and from an F150 to 350. Have some questions on configuration.

#2 ·
I am special ordering an F350 6.7L 8' bed 4x4 single rear wheel for towing a 35' 15k lb toy hauler.

I am shocked to see that you must switch to dual rear wheel to get gears lower than 3.55.

I plan to only install a leveling kit and 34 to 35" Toyos on either 18 or 20" wheels, but 3.55 seems light.

I would be comfortable with 3.73, but had planned to push for 4.10.

Thoughts?

#8 · (Edited)
Let me ease your mind. My first F 350 SRW crew cab 4x4 was in 1996. It had 355 gears and when I installed 35" tires it would not get out of its own way. Had to trade the tires in for 33's. At that time stock tires were 31"

Today the trucks have twice the power and are geared for near stock 35" tires from the factory. I just installed 35" Toyo's and I am dead on with the speedo and GPS with 355 gears. I wanted 373 but not necessary. Back in the day you needed 410 gears. You could get in 1996 a F 250 2 wheel drive Powerstroke with 410 gears. Not anymore, and not needed. If you stick with 35" and 355 gears you will be fine.

#4 ·
you'll be surprised what the new 6speed trans does for gearing. 3.55s and 35's wont be an issue.

#5 ·
I have 265 17 on f350 srw swb cc and have no problem pulling north of 15k with 3.55 gears. I know I am I am in a minority but I don't like the bigger tires as they don't seem as stable when towing near the max load. It does amaze me the number of these trucks l see lifted then having a massive drop hitch to pull a trailer. If your ordering get the factory 5th wheel mount its a solid setup.

#9 · (Edited)
When you configure the truck with 20" wheels, it changes the front suspension.
Our trucks have a factory 20" wheel option with the stock suspension set up (no leveling kit required). Going with after market 20" wheels shouldn't be a problem height wise, but if you go with an excessively wide wheel/tire then it may start creating problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.